Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,317 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it appears as if I have decided on Portland to relocate after having gone through months of research that had driven me to consider Prescott, AZ and Raleigh NC. I've scrolled through the posts here as well as scoped out every possible guidebook on the city. Let me just mention that I have never been there and when I go there next spring, I will not have a job set up for me. However, I do plan on bringing enough money with me to pay off a six month lease as well as purchase furnishings and groceries to keep me sustained until I find a job.

Now, here are my questions. I've been looking at apartments on the southeast side where they appear to be the cheapest. Anyone have any advice on what neighborhoods are right for me? I'd consider moving to another area of Portland as long as I had easy access to the arts, theaters, shopping, and preferably a natural food store or two, although I don't want to compromise my peace of mind...meaning that I don't want to live next door to a crackhouse or some other such crime-ridden area. Will I have to deal with living in a sketchy neighborhood to find an affordable place? Mind you, I will most likely be working in food service or retail for a while as I search for the a better job and ideally the right school. I was looking at Reed College which is also in SE Portland which furthered my interest in that area.

Either way, I will fly out to Portland in late february and check out the neighborhoods of interest and hopefully nab an apartment before I actually drive out there for good. In closing, if any of you have any specific advice on neighborhoods to check out and avoid, which are affordable, whether they are in SE Portland or not, I would be greatly thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Affordable varies from person to person. What are you looking at spending? What size apartment are you looking for?

Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Pick the school first, the apartment second. You want to be sure you are in the right place for transportation.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Affordable varies from person to person. What are you looking at spending? What size apartment are you looking for?
I'm looking to spend around $650 for a one bedroom apartment.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
In my opinion all neighborhoods of Portland are equally affordable or unaffordable. You can spend the same to live close in or far out. Hunt for bargains, not easy when you give yourself so little time. But don't colleges have to accept you rather than the other way around? And $650/mo on food service or retail income... ... methinks you want a roomate(s).

H

Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Of course $650 is indeed the maximum desired monthly rent. The cheaper is certainly the better, though I guess you get what you pay for. I've been looking on craigslist and have come across studio and one bedrooms for around $575. Seems too good to be true considering the prices where I currently reside (NH).

Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Be very very careful about craigslist rentals --
Craig List Scams

I would use The Oregonian
Apartments, Homes & Houses for Rent - Home Rentals in Oregon - OregonLive.com
which you can also use for job searching.
It might be worth considering renting a place for 6 months since you don't know the city, to give yourself time to learn and choose where you actually want to live.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
What, an ad listed in the Oregonian cannot possibly be a scam? I am not advocating one or the other, just pointing out the flaw in the knee jerk thinking that if it is found online it must be bad. I found my house rental on Craigslist and I am rather happy with it. I have found and rented places before in the same way. I have NEVER been scammed, ever. Why? Because I can spot the fake ads and I flag them too on occasion when they are really over the top.

H

Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Leases are uncommon in Portland but if you are able to come here in person and put down a security deposit at the time you see an apartment you like, you will be ok.
It sounds like you would like either the Hawthorne or Sellwood area but both may be a bit out of your price range. Often the cheaper apartments are not the most desirable but by scouting out the area you may find something.
The best deals aren't usually found in the paper or on Craig's List but are the places advertised by a "For Rent" sign put out by the individual landlords. They know they can get many applicants by doing that so there is no need to advertise anywhere else. These days my landlord tells me advertising in a publication or online gets him too many applicants; more than he can handle. But if he puts a sign out, he will get at least 10 applicants the first day.
When you come here in the spring, drive around and look for signs. Don't discount other resources but be sure to include checking things out in person.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Minervah is right, but also, my son is a college student in Portland who got a really nice little place in Hawthorne that's within a student's budget, and he got it through Craig's List. Next time I talk with him I'll ask him to refresh me on the name of it and let you know if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: