Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM

100 posts, read 302,666 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

I'm looking to buy undeveloped land or a house with land that fits the following criteria:

1. 5+ acres
2. Within 45 minutes of the Portland city center
3. Not 100% required, but I'd love it if there was a year round creek running through the property.

House with land: $350,000 or less
Just land: $200,000 or less

Does anyone have any surrounding areas they recommend I look? Town names and such would be greatly appreciated. If there are Portland area real estate agents here that think they can help, feel free to PM me as I don't have an agent yet.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
I'm not an expert, so take this for what it's worth, but 5+ acres in the metro area for under $200,000 seems terribly optimistic. I hope you find what you're looking for though.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
You can look to Camas / Washougal, WA (20 min to Airport, 30 min to downtown... 45+min during 'traffic')

There are lots of acreages (3-5 acres) under $200k at the moment, I just looked at one yesterday for $88k, that had sold for $150k less than 2 yrs ago.

There are 3 vacant homes (built, never occupied) in the some area... one has a stream going right through the house (poorly planned run-off) It is starting to collapse, so probably pretty cheap at the moment.

Neighbors just got a house for $320k, that was listed for $580k.

Bargains galore, but BE CAREFUL. I would NOT buy a 'california special'; 3car garage 4+ bedroom, multi-level, especially in a subdivision) These will be VERY hard to unload in the coming economy. Think 'cottage', trashed mobile home, or shop with apartment on acreage (tough to find). You will appreciate the tax savings and the future resale. Taxes can be a killer... I Pay $15 / day ($4k/yr) just for my dirt (unimproved land). The house is again that much more , but... a few hundred feet away the rates are 1/2 that

Be Careful about bare land, as some places have 'IMPACT FEES' for converting to residential, which will really set you back... $20k

Do you know what area you want? (east vs west is very different, as is North Vs south)
Are schools important?

One thing to look at is your Route (if you have to commute). Some places are a pain to drive to (curvy roads, hills, traffic lights, bridges) . I like mine as it is a direct 50 -60 mph trip. And NO stop signs at dangerous intersections. (but I don't commute )

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,337 times
I just plugged your land requirement into the MLS and got 32 hits. Most of these where in Columbia County and the outlying areas of Yamhill County. I live in Columbia County, which is very rural and considered remote, even though the commute from south county is 30 - 45 minutes. The downside: it's colder and more hick than any other area of the metro region, IMO. Yamhill county is much warmer and more prosperous, but also more expensive. That's the 'wine country.' The commute up the 99 is a little hairy, I've been told. Town names that came up frequently were Willamina, Clatskanie, Sandy, Deer Island, and Vernonia. There is also a decent parcel in Washington County, for $199k, but you'd have to have all-wheel or 4-wheel drive for that. Other towns in western Washington county where you might look: Gaston, Banks, Buxton. Buxton would be really pushing the 45 minute commute requirement.

As for acreage with a house less than $350k, 45 minute commute, I think Columbia County is a good bet. Scappoose, Warren, and St. Helens are close in. I live in Warren, which I think is pretty nice.

I haven't mentioned much on the east side, because in my experience the commute up the 205 into town can be nasty, ditto the route in west on the 84. YMMV, and all that.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM

77 posts, read 301,203 times
The most options seem to be in Clackamas County- Estacada, Boring, Damascus, Eagle Creek, Molino, Colton, Beavercreek, Oregon City, Canby.

I work mostly in Yamhill County. You could find what you are looking for here, just not as many to choose from. I saw a cute house in McMinnville on almost 5 acres for $349,900, but no stream. Other towns you might consider in this area- Yamhill, maybe Carlton (might be too expensive). Amity, Sheridan and Willamina are worth considering, but might be too far for a commute to Portland- about an hour, a bit more depending.

Do you have any other requirements? Woods, open field, style of house, etc?

I'll PM you....

Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM

100 posts, read 302,666 times
Thank you all for your feedback and insight, I appreciate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimhamblin View Post
Do you have any other requirements? Woods, open field, style of house, etc?
Not really. If there are woods, as long as we can clear a little for some gardening. The house doesn't matter too much to us, though since we want to build our own over time, either no house or a small little place on quality land would be best.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
The area in the Vernonia area may be a possibility. Many left after the floods of 2007 and I noticed a lot of houses with acerage.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM

73 posts, read 232,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYogi View Post
Greetings everyone,

I'm looking to buy undeveloped land or a house with land that fits the following criteria:

1. 5+ acres
2. Within 45 minutes of the Portland city center
3. Not 100% required, but I'd love it if there was a year round creek running through the property.

House with land: $350,000 or less
Just land: $200,000 or less

Does anyone have any surrounding areas they recommend I look? Town names and such would be greatly appreciated. If there are Portland area real estate agents here that think they can help, feel free to PM me as I don't have an agent yet.

Thank you for your help!
East Gresham: Pleasant Home/Cottrell area. It's 30-40 mins. to downtown Portland (in good traffic). Some areas have a creek. Very gorgeous area with lots of tree nurseries, and still some houses/land in the price ranges you listed, and wonderful views of Mt. Hood. Some streets to look on: Lusted Rd, Pipeline, Altman Rd, Bluff Rd, Pleasant Home, etc. Gresham is an OK town. Everything you need is there, you just have to deal with traffic and long lights before 9am and after 2-3pm. But that's true most places. And living out east of town is wonderful!

PS if you buy property with a small structure on it be prepared to connect it with a breezeway, otherwise the city won't approve the house plans. Many houses out there have a breezeway that connects a smaller structure to the newer main house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland