Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

We don't know missonhome's circumstances, or her son's intended major, so giving advise about schools to consider really isn't appropriate. Santa Clara is well endowed (or at least was) and does offer on campus work opportunities to help with school expenses. We were (and are) not wealthy by any means. Our daughter had school loans, she worked off campus as well as on campus and received modest tuition assistance. For the right student Santa Clara will help find a way.

It is a wonderful school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
We don't know missonhome's circumstances, or her son's intended major, so giving advise about schools to consider really isn't appropriate. Santa Clara is well endowed (or at least was) and does offer on campus work opportunities to help with school expenses. We were (and are) not wealthy by any means. Our daughter had school loans, she worked off campus as well as on campus and received modest tuition assistance. For the right student Santa Clara will help find a way.

It is a wonderful school.
Don't worry, I actually really appreciate the suggestions and everyone's time! I don't think he will be applying to anywhere else though (although it sounds like we should have done Santa Clara. He is exhausted after applying to all the schools and I don't feel it will be a decision between just Davis and UP. He still has to wait to hear back from 12 other schools who don't release admission decisions until late March/ early April. UP was definitely on the safety side of my son's list, but it was a place that looked like he could be happy at if more competitive schools don't work out.

The small learning enviornment is a plus, but he also wouldn't want a school so small or unknown that when med schools receive his apps they think "Where did this kid go" I better look this place up and see if it is a quality school." Whereas UC Davis is larger and well known nationwide, these questions probably don't come up.

---Also, we are Protestants but know a lot of Catholics and my son has gone to mass with my mother before so knows the similarities and differences and isn't into drawing lines between the two. He won't be the only Protestant at UP will he? I know some of the Protestant schools he applied to, like Pepperdine, have a decent mix of faiths so that kids don't feel like the outcasts if they are specifically from a certain branch of a religion.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

We are Protestants and know a great value in education . Your son will have no problems at UP. Oregon's primary denomination is Blue Dome Christian, those who worship God under the dome he built .. particularly when blue.

What I did notice at SCU is that ethics and social service was a part of the student orientation program. I liked that. I presume UP does the same. These issues, to the best of my knowledge, are not addressed in state schools.

Since your son wants to be a physician SCU probably wouldn't have been the best choice. Med school admissions officers now look more broadly at their applicant's majors but your son should have a couple years of biology and physics. If my memory serves me, SCU does not have a strong biology program. UP, with a school of nursing, doubtless offers classes he will want.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
so knows the similarities and differences and isn't into drawing lines between the two. He won't be the only Protestant at UP will he?

I know some of the Protestant schools he applied to, like Pepperdine, have a decent mix of faiths so that kids don't feel like the outcasts if they are specifically from a certain branch of a religion.
I appreciate that level of maturity. At last, someone who isn't into creating factions between Catholics and other Protestant branches, between which the differences are cosmetic.

I went to a Catholic undergrad. There were Jewish and Muslim professors. There were also numerous Muslim students and some Jewish students. No one was made to feel unwelcome. It was a non-issue. This is especially true when the Catholic university is in a major city on either coast (Seattle U, Santa Clara, Loyola, Georgetown, Villanova, etc.). Enjoy.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 PM

17 posts, read 49,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I appreciate that level of maturity. At last, someone who isn't into creating factions between Catholics and other Protestant branches, between which the differences are cosmetic.

I went to a Catholic undergrad. There were Jewish and Muslim professors. There were also numerous Muslim students and some Jewish students. No one was made to feel unwelcome. It was a non-issue. This is especially true when the Catholic university is in a major city on either coast (Seattle U, Santa Clara, Loyola, Georgetown, Villanova, etc.). Enjoy.
Here here. I went to the largest Catholic university in the country for my undergrad and I'd wager that at least two-thirds of the students weren't Catholics. Same with professors. While 2 theology courses were required, one could opt to take things like Contemporary Muslim Culture and Bible as Literature -- there truly was no Catholic dogma forced upon any of the students. I would imagine it would be the same at other Catholic institutions.

UP is actually one of the graduate programs I've recently applied to -- I wonder if anyone has any experience/knowledge on their post-undergrad reputation? It's much easier to find information and school rankings for undergrad and doctorate programs; Master's info is a bit harder to come by.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 PM

B School wise, Portland State's Masters program is highly regarded by employers.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,717 times
Default University of Portland

My daughter is a sophomore at UP double majoring in biochemistry and psychology; like your son, she's planning on applying to medical school, . UP was her first choice college, and while I was initially a bit lukewarm about the school (concerned that it might be too small, too Catholic (since what little religion she was raised with was Methodist), not offer the variety of classes, etc. available at a larger school), I'm now a big fan.

When you check out the rankings by US News and others, UP is ranked very highly, is the top producer of Fulbright scholars in its category, etc. While it may not have the breadth of classes you can find at large universities, the range is more than adequate for a pre-med program, and it has a dedicated Pre-Med Advisor to provide guidance. (UP has a large School of Nursing which, while obviously not the same thing, indicates the school's emphasis on health sciences.) Further, with reasonable planning, students can actually get into all the courses they need for their major so as to graduate in 4 years--something that has become very hard to do in the University of California system, with many students requiring 5 and 6 years to complete their required courses!

What surprised me is the degree of attention UP students get both from faculty and adminstration. Professors--not graduate students/TAs--teach the classes, have regular office hours, and expect to see students at office hours, so they get to know the students. There's lots of administrative support for students in picking majors, sorting out classes, counseling and outreach if they see a student is struggling, etc. The school has a surprisingly large range of study abroad programs, research opportunities and other opportunities to both enrich their college experience and, quite frankly, beef up the resume for job hunting/graduate school applications.

UP is Catholic--indeed, a higher percentage of the student body is Catholic than at many other Catholic schools. It's run by the order of Holy Cross (same as Notre Dame). Although my daughter is not Catholic nor particularly religious, she likes the emphasis on community service and spiritual development that informs the school. She certainly doesn't find it awkward or make her an "outsider" not to be Catholic.

In terms of living there: My daughter, who'd never been there before, has fallen in love with Portland. She finds the residents really pleasant and helpful, it's a socially conscious place with a strong emphasis on being environmentally friendly (UP doesn't sell bottled water on campus). Putting its money where its mouth is, it has an excellent public transit system that is very accessible to the UP campus (during freshmen orientation, students are taught how to access the system and taken on a trip to downtown), and has lots of great activities attractive to college students. Portland prides itself on being a bicycle friendly town.

UP itself puts on lots of free activities for its students--movies, dances, ice cream socials, bringing entertainers on campus. As my daughter says, the school does this to keep the students on campus, safe, and sober! From what I can tell, this seems to work pretty well--at least it minimizes the temptations offered at harder partying schools.

The campus itself is very pleasant and is located in a nice residential neighborhood that seems very safe, but with easy access by bus or bike to shopping areas.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM

In Portland main line religious communities tend to be inclusive, reaching out to each other. It is not unusual for a member of the clergy of one faith to visit a high school religious education class of another to increase understanding of their practices and beliefs.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,868 times
Smile Discussion on University of Portland

My son and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and have done so for his entire life. He is planning to attend college this coming fall. University of Portland was a natural choice for him since he attended a Christian High School of a small size, and had attended both a CSU one summer and a UC for another summer. While the CSU was a wonderful experience, Channel Islands, the UC - Santa Barbara - was just too big for him. So, when choosing colleges or universities to apply, he chose smaller schools with higher reputations. Among his choices, since he wanted to get away from home, besides University of Portland, were Willamette University, University of Puget Sound, both outside of California. Inside California, since he wanted a small college experience, he chose University of California, Santa Cruz and San Diego, to look at, along with Claremont McKenna College. In the end, University of Portland came out way ahead. He has dropped any intention of attending UC due to the difficulty of getting out on time. While Santa Clara is a wonderful school, the campus is only 20 min. from home.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwong View Post
... While Santa Clara is a wonderful school, the campus is only 20 min. from home.
My daughter had the same concern, stayed in the Silicon Valley after graduating from Santa Clara. Your son may fall in love with Portland and stay here. You too can do the I-5 drag for holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland