Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 110,532 times

Advertisements

I got the job in Portland. We'll be there by the middle of April. Yay for gainful employment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Congratulations! This kind of happy news is very welcome these days!

Do you have an idea which part of the Portland area you'd like to live in?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
Congratulations! Very awesome news!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 110,532 times
I don't know for sure where we will live yet, but my wife has been calling places on the near side of Beaverton (it has to be VERY near a MAX station), and possibly in Tigard, if it's on a bus line that goes downtown. I'm determined to go back to being a one-car family when we're out there! We're mostly looking for 3 bedroom townhomes, since I don't really want to take care of a big yard of a regular house, and I don't really want to live in an apartment with folks upstairs or down from us, so a townhome is a nice average. We'll rent at first, at least until our house here in Utah sells! (paying rent and a mortgage is going to be rough for a while!)

Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM

109 posts, read 319,240 times
Congratulations! Do you have kids? I'm just wondering why you would need such a big place. Beaverton is suburbia USA- strip malls, traffic, chain restaurants. I think you could be closer to downtown and easily live a car-free/1 car life with a townhouse close-in either SE or NE. Lots of good neighborhoods around there, walk to shopping, entertainment, whatever. Apartment living downtown isn't bad either, hubby and I went from a big townhouse in Michigan to a downtown one bedroom, 700 sq foot apartment on the 8th floor. We had to edit all our stuff to the basics, and really make some adjustments, but we love it and haven't looked back since. I guess it depends on if you have kids, and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

Congrats again!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
Be careful too close to the Max, usually the areas closer are not always very nice or very safe. Learn the area for a bit till you commit to buy, I think many places are desperate to have anyone there so rent for a bit...and see what you like

I lived over by 170th for a little bit by the max station (in the apartment complex a bit north of it), and the best thing I could say about it is that I hightailed it pretty fast out of there. Across TV highway and up about 3 blocks from it though started the swanky suburban housing that's pretty nice.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Congrats on your new job. Regarding Tigard, it's a nice burb but the bus service to downtown is very slow. That's one of the reasons I moved from there back into the city. Beaverton has better public transportation including Max.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:13 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Tigard has the new WES train that meets the MAX at the Beaverton Transit Center, so that might be an option.

Where is your job located? We might be able to be more specific with recommendations if we know where you need to commute to.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM

544 posts, read 1,471,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly12103 View Post
Congratulations! Do you have kids? I'm just wondering why you would need such a big place. Beaverton is suburbia USA- strip malls, traffic, chain restaurants. I think you could be closer to downtown and easily live a car-free/1 car life with a townhouse close-in either SE or NE. Lots of good neighborhoods around there, walk to shopping, entertainment, whatever. Apartment living downtown isn't bad either, hubby and I went from a big townhouse in Michigan to a downtown one bedroom, 700 sq foot apartment on the 8th floor. We had to edit all our stuff to the basics, and really make some adjustments, but we love it and haven't looked back since. I guess it depends on if you have kids, and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

Congrats again!

For some reason, I feel like this post is talking to me only it isnt a total goal to move to Beaverton, but I could I dunno. I plan to live a no car/1 car life but I think I will need a car seeing how I cant see it being as good not coming with one. I look at how you gotta look for jobs in areas not max accessible or even hard to take the busses to like Vancouver WA or something.
Anyways, I am also looking to edit a lot of my stuff like you looked to do before going. Almost like a pre planning pre little sale I have going.

Care to take a look?
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/mrmeltin80_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Be careful too close to the Max, usually the areas closer are not always very nice or very safe. Learn the area for a bit till you commit to buy, I think many places are desperate to have anyone there so rent for a bit...and see what you like

I lived over by 170th for a little bit by the max station (in the apartment complex a bit north of it), and the best thing I could say about it is that I hightailed it pretty fast out of there.

For real? I was only looking at possible areas near the max, but can expand in the event I do take my car there.
Its really not that good? I was looking into checking some NE 82nd areas when I get back altho maybe a lil past that like NE 60th.
I dunno tho, I didnt see many max stops as being bad areas to live in outside of NE 82nds.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

666 posts, read 1,843,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Anti Flag, Pennywise, Dillinger Four..........and Madonna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland