Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 33,576 times

Advertisements

Comments?

I personally enjoyed it for the most part. The runners had some pretty funny costume. People with little kid who let them basically walk around in the road when there is a small gap in the parade drove me INSANE. Seemed to be a lot of holdups this year...and I'm sorry I enjoy it for the most part but can there be anymore high school marching bands?!?!

Oh and one more comment on the parade: Did anyone see the Star Wars group the one lady who was pretty much naked? LOL I didn't understand that one too much..but oh well!

Overall I enjoyed it...got good seats...had a good time. I love being a born and raised Oregonian.

The only thing I did not enjoy was taking the max back to lloyd center. It was INSANELY packed. It was very warm and I started getting a little dizzy...LOL...but overall good time!

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Hi! I marched in last night's Starlight Parade with the Star Wars group as a Jedi, and was not too far behind the 'nearly naked' Leia. She was dressed as the Leia from Return of the Jedi, and that costume is commonly called Slave Leia or Bikini Leia. Not one of my favorites, actually. We had a great time marching though, and loved seeing all the folks that came out to enjoy the parade :-) ~hendel

Old 05-31-2009, 06:47 PM

I see! Well from the crowd reaction around me the kids were going NUTS when they saw Darth Vador...your groups costumes were very well done and although I'm not a huge star wars fan I still enjoyed it! So props to you guys!

Anyone else?!?!?

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM

162 posts, read 513,222 times
Yeah, I really enjoyed the parade. I had never experienced any of the rose festival parades and was quite impressed. I think the big one is this next weekend?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,943 times
As a transplant to the Portland area, it seems to me that there is never any advertising about the Rose Festival events. It just seems that the assumption is that everyone just "knows" exactly when they are held. Imagine my surprise last night flipping channels to see the starlight parade. And when is the big Rose parade? Why are there never any ads in the paper, or commercials, or anything touting when this is held?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
I don't know if there was one this year, but there's usually a "Rose Festival Guide" that comes out with the newspaper. Advertising, I'd guess is one of the things that've been cut back since the Festival, like so many things, has had financial difficulties. Used to have lots of corporate sponsors, and they have apparently been hard to come by in recent years. One of the news stations will broadcast the parades, so the others don't do as much to tout it.

The Rose Parade is always the first Saturday in June. The Starlight parade always the week before. Another really fun one, is the Children's Parade, on Wednesday afternoon in the Hollywood District.

But you're no doubt right. They probably don't do as much as they should to promote it here in town, probably assuming most people know about it.

A Schedule of Events is on the festival's webpage. Between the Festival Events, and the "Sanctioned Events" there are over 60 listed.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 AM

Yeah I noticed that as well...not a whole lot of advertisement...but they extended the Rose Festival on Waterfront an extra weekend this year didn't they? I went to the rose festival..actually enjoyed myself...

I had a hard enough time trying to fend people off to get a good seat for Starlight parade...I don't even want to know how crazy it's gonna be for Rose Parade!!!!!! ..

Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Especially if the weather's good, the Rose Parade will be crazy crowded. One strategy is to wait until just before they close off the cross-streets, and jump to grab a seat in the crosswalk. Or, just get there really early and join in the camping party on the sidewalk.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Oh if this doesn't bring back memories...about a gazillion years ago I was in my HS marching band and HAD to march in the Rose Parade rain or shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: