Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 AM

33 posts, read 187,123 times

Advertisements

How are the museums in Portland? Is there a science center, history museum, art museum etc...? Children's museum? Is the Zoo nice? Are any of these located near each other? Or are they spread out?

Also, what is an indoor park like?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
The Children's Museum and zoo are across from each other. The zoo is nice as long as you don't mind a lot of walking! Both are located at a MAX stop.
The World Forestry Museum is also located at the same stop.

There's also a science museum--OMSI, which also has an IMAX theater. OMSI is located in SE right on the river. They also have a submarine you can tour (in the river).

The Portland Art Museum is on the park blocks and within a block of the History Museum. Various performance centers are also located in the same area and Portland State University is south a few blocks. A great farmer's market is held on the park blocks every Saturday.

Indoor park usually takes place in a gym and is for kids 5 and under or 6 and under. They have various riding toys, climbing toys and mats, tricycles, and so on and the kids run around the gym playing with the toys and/or each other. Sometimes they'll have art stations as well.

The libraries have storytimes weekly and often other special activities.

There are other museums/indoor play areas too in the Portland area.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 AM

I should also add that OMSI has a closed in are specifically for kids under 6 that rivals the children's museum (better in my opinion). It's a huge space with a water area, sand area, baby area, hands on exhibits, book/puppet space and so on. They also have an attached room with various science related activities in buckets, and tables with two different activities--usually some kind of sensory activity like flubber, and then an art station. There's only one way out so the kids can run around without escaping. An hour or two there and kids are exhausted.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Great info! Thanks. I homeschool and we spend alot of day time in the museums. We live in St Louis right now and the museums are mostly free. Are there free days there?

My kids are too old for the indoor parks. Are there other activities that are unique to the Portland area?

What are some other fun things to do there?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM

If you homeschool you'll want to hook up with the homeschooling group here--it's HUGE. I think it's called greater Portland area homeschoolers or something like that. They have tons of programs/classes/get togethers, etc. I suggest you also check the library website for more suggestions: www.multcolib.org
They have some great links. The museums have some free days but if you go a lot yearly passes are always the best bet. If you only do one I'd suggest OMSI.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Thanks! I will look into the library and also the groups. I had heard that the HS community is very nice there.

We took the probable need for memberships into account before looking into moving. So far St. Louis is the only city we have lived in that we didn't need them for the museums.

Is there an amusement park anywhere near by?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:39 PM

Yes, Oaks Park.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
most of the gymnastics centers will also offer "open gym" time for the 6+ group, and/or teen time. - many homeschool kids take gymnastics lessons too for the PE credit. Pretty much every gym offers Homeschool group lessons. They are quite popluar. Ive heard swimming has the same thing.
I believe OMSI, The Oregon Zoo, Oaks park and all have their own websites so you can check out some of what theyre like. Im impressed w/all and so are mykids. They NEVER get tired of going to any of those. Another neat thing about OMSI, (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry if I remember right) is they always have some new exhibit going on. So theres always something new. - Oh, as for zoos too, there is a wildlife petting zoo park in Bandon where you can go pet baby bears, cougars, whatver else is new and cuddly, plus the not so typical petting zoo of possums, fox, and others . Theres also a drive through safari in Winston w/giraffes, cheetas, and the like all roaming. I know they have different things you can do like 'Feed the elephants, spend a day w/a cheeta expert, be a zoo keeper for a day, etc. - the portland zoo has stuff like this too. Both zoos, and OMSI have some pretty incredible summer programs, and sleep overs too!! that are just outstanding. My daughter is dying to do the be a zookeeper for a week camp for the older kids (shes almost 13) anyhow, theres plenty to do in Oregon for the kids!!
Best of luck!
Tiffany

Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Wow, sounds great! My oldest daughter loves the zoo. When she found out we were relocating the first thing she did was look up the zoos in the different cities that we could go to. She was really impressed with some of the animals that the Portland zoo has listed on their website. She will be even more excited when I show her your post about some of the different animal oppurtunities. It sounds like we won't have a problem staying busy if we go there.

I looked up Oak Park, too. I will have the kids check out the web-site.

Thanks again

Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
oh good!! well, have her look at these - the first one is the gamepark in Bandon Oregon, along the southern Ore. coast..
www.gameparksafari.com
this is the drive through in Winston Oregon
www.wildlifesafari.org
- ive been to the first, my kids got to hold the baby bear during one of his veryfirst appearences, we spent the whole day there, and they LOVED it, in fact, we have friends coming down from Portland this weekend, and we're all going. - btw, dont let the smallish cages bother you too much, they are viewing cages only, they have much larger places for them to be in off hours.
The Winston one I havent gone to yet, its a bit out of my price range, but I dearly want to!! One friend has gone and she raved about it. - coming down from Portland, you might want to check out a campground near either of these and do a weekend rather than a day trip. Either will be a several hour drive down from the city.
oh, btw, for amusement parks too, there is a really fun place just out of Salem called Enchanted Forest. I recall going there as a small child, and my own kids ADORE it now. heres their site for a looksee..
www.enchantedforest.com/enchanted_forest.html
Best of luck!!
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland