Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They don't call it "Lake No Negro" for nothing...
I have never heard anyone ever call it that. It's doubly interesting when you realize that a lot of prominent African Americans in Portland live in the area - IE, a good portion of the Blazers.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I have never heard anyone ever call it that. It's doubly interesting when you realize that a lot of prominent African Americans in Portland live in the area - IE, a good portion of the Blazers.

That could be used as joke bait really. More blacks exist in Portland itself, but seems they ride the max or they stay to their own side of the city overall and of course use the max to get around. Usually not interracting with whites. To me its refreshing though since multiculturalism to high degrees can ruin many places. I am surprised there isn't a support base for David Duke anywhere. Several voted for Obama when I visited Portland, I do remember this. I wonder if their tones have changed now though. I read about how white power/pride groups used to be in Portland, but they are probably now on the outskirts.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,121 times
It's unbelievably insulting to assume that because Oregon is heavily white that it's full of racists.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

192 posts, read 454,419 times
DoctorRain, it's remarkable what you profess to know considering you've not been here for more than a (one?) visit.

Now for one thing I like about Portland: the process of being a customer at DEQ and DMV. I visited both today (at noon no less) and was back at home within 45 minutes. And $86 every other year is a bargain.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
That could be used as joke bait really. More blacks exist in Portland itself, but seems they ride the max or they stay to their own side of the city overall and of course use the max to get around. Usually not interracting with whites. To me its refreshing though since multiculturalism to high degrees can ruin many places. I am surprised there isn't a support base for David Duke anywhere. Several voted for Obama when I visited Portland, I do remember this. I wonder if their tones have changed now though. I read about how white power/pride groups used to be in Portland, but they are probably now on the outskirts.
Is this from personal observation? Please post some statistics to back up this claim.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 AM

191 posts, read 510,653 times
I read a university study several years ago that stipulated that people are most comfortable living near people who are similar to themselves, both in physical appearance and economic status. We see this fairly commonly across our country and it begs the question:

Where are the Asian, African-American, Latino, etc... areas of Portland, if applicable?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
I read a university study several years ago that stipulated that people are most comfortable living near people who are similar to themselves, both in physical appearance and economic status. We see this fairly commonly across our country and it begs the question:

Where are the Asian, African-American, Latino, etc... areas of Portland, if applicable?
AA culture is centered around NE Portland. Latino...Hillsboro/Aloha. Asians tend to disperse fairly homogeneously amongst all areas, although I've noticed less of an Asian influence in Portland than other west coast cities. Vancouver BC, for example is heavily Asian.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM

72,990 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
So I'm guesing you don't want Blacks to live in the rest of the city, but to remain on one side of town, as was mandated in the 1950s?

And I would hope that there is no base for David Duke in Portland. I don't have any respect for that racist. And what is so good about having White power groups in the city of Portland? Last time I checked, in 1988, Mulageta Seraw, an Ethiopian college student at Portland State University, was murdered by members of the W.A.R.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I have never heard anyone ever call it that.
you have to have been here long enough. "Lake No Negro" and "Sucker Lake" are both stabs at what some people see as the pretentiousness involving a former agricultural flushing channel, dammed up to make a lake with high-end houses built on lake dredge-fill. Those terms are 30+ years out of date.

When I was at PSU in the geology dept, it was a yearly thing to have people coming in the show us this strange green obsidian they found at the lake - one of the first uses for the lake was to power hydro for an iron foundry and the "obsidian" is actually remnant chunks of glassy iron vat slag. The "Sucker Lake" bit is because, when it served the original purpose of flushing channel, the temporary pond would drain in the late summer, leaving dead (and stinking) catfish on the shores (or so one of my professors, a 50+ year resident of the area, would tell me).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
How would know that? I see African American people on the buses I take in SE Portland all the time.

What outskirts are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland