Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM

172 posts, read 418,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
See this is what I thought too. Whats all the fuss about? The MAX runs really smooth and worth what you pay I think. They cut buslines so that part sucks for those who depend on the bus but when it comes to the MAX, doesn't seem you can go wrong and its free to ride. Well not free free since taxpayers pay and some will gripe about it, but its a great city service and great if your a visitor too.
Many might also argue that it was a waste of money. MAX is a brand new system, in a city with traffic that isn't THAT bad. Just wait until the city grows another 100,000 plus people.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,290 times
Consistent with TriMet's great decision making:

TriMet owes $3.1 million in Westside Express Service dustup, judge rules | OregonLive.com

The article also points out that as of Sept. data ridership is up, averaging 1440 riders per day. The first year of service averaged 1,000 riders per day. During planning, TriMet predicted ~1600 riders per day during its first year. At one point it upped that prediction to 2400 riders per day.

The point being that they don't have a very good grasp of what people will or won't actually use.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Let's see now...

Deep pockets guys, for a fee, act as bail bondsman and put up a "performance bond." Their client goes 'bad' or 'incompetent businessmen' and bond is called. Now lawyers are called 'cause deep pocket guys don't want to play in sandbox anymore if they are going to get sand kicked in their face.

This I suppose in only phase one of a long drawn out legal hassle; well at least until 3.3 million is spent on legal fees for a 3.1 million pile of money.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
Many might also argue that it was a waste of money. MAX is a brand new system, in a city with traffic that isn't THAT bad. Just wait until the city grows another 100,000 plus people.

Its no waste of money. More cities should try to build something like this.
The people complaining are most likely tea party people or the most redneck types of people Portland might have. I think theres some there too if you go in some of the trashier off sections farther from bus stops and stuff.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Its no waste of money. More cities should try to build something like this.
The people complaining are most likely tea party people or the most redneck types of people Portland might have. I think theres some there too if you go in some of the trashier off sections farther from bus stops and stuff.
No, you are completely wrong. the people who are complaining are people like me who are trying to live carless in Portland. It has become more and more difficult since the bus service has been drastically cut back.

There are places I can no longer get to because the buses don't go there any longer. Service for the elderly and those with medical disabilities needing to use the Tri-Met pick up service are being cut off. This to me is not progress.

There is nothing trashy about the neighborhoods we live in. You make some pretty off-the-wall comments for someone who doesn't yet live here. I wonder where your information is coming from.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 AM

172 posts, read 418,700 times
I was browsing through some pictures of Portland and flickr, and see they are bulding tracks on the Broadway Bridge? What type of train/line is going to be using this?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, you are completely wrong. the people who are complaining are people like me who are trying to live carless in Portland. It has become more and more difficult since the bus service has been drastically cut back.

There are places I can no longer get to because the buses don't go there any longer. Service for the elderly and those with medical disabilities needing to use the Tri-Met pick up service are being cut off. This to me is not progress.

There is nothing trashy about the neighborhoods we live in. You make some pretty off-the-wall comments for someone who doesn't yet live here. I wonder where your information is coming from.

Look.. I say what I say... ignore it if it bothers you.

I was referring to the way outer parts of Portland not anywhere near the max. The parts that appear very rural. I streetviewed a few of them.

You are taking everything I said out of context especially about the neighborhoods.

As far as the buslines, that would be a growing concern. You'd rather do away with it altogether though and not have to pay just because they cut many lines though?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
As far as the buslines, that would be a growing concern. You'd rather do away with it altogether though and not have to pay just because they cut many lines though?
If you mean do away with the MAX, no I never said that. You are taking what I said out of context. I just don't want to see new ones created at the expense of the bus service.

You did not mention that you were speaking about the outer areas. I still don't follow your point about those people being the ones to complain about lack of bus service. It sounded to me as if you believed those were the only people unhappy about the cuts.

Someday when you move here, maybe your observations will make more sense to me. I am looking forward to your posting after you make the move to see if you don't develop a different point of view.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 10,194 times
Default auto repair shops in portland, oregon

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, honest car maintenance/repair shop in portland/clackamas area in Oregon? Also any for auto body work?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
I was browsing through some pictures of Portland and flickr, and see they are bulding tracks on the Broadway Bridge? What type of train/line is going to be using this?
The expanded trolley, or streetcar lines.

Just so you know, MAX is about 4 or 6 buses long. Downtown it is almost a full city block long, albeit our city blocks are not large.

The street car is also light rail, but only carries about as many as a normal bus, and is just as long as maybe one or one & half buses. Several Youtube videos just search for: Streetcars in Portland OR. Streetcars are painted Red, Blue, Light Green.

The current trolley line only runs from the foot of the Tram, past Portland State U, over past the county main Library, to Powell's book store, through the west side of the Pearl district, and then up to a large hospital in the NW 23rd street district and loops back around.

Current map:
Streetcar Route Map | Portland Streetcar

New expansion on the east side of the Willamette (wil-LAM-it) River to make a loop (Broadway bridge construction included):
Construction Updates | Portland Streetcar

Note at the bottom of that construction map is a bridge across the Willamette; construction for that bridge has not yet been started. That bridge is part of a multi-use bridge being built by funds for the "Orange Line" MAX that will run to an industrial area in Milwaukie Oregon.

Orange line link:
Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Project: Route and Stations

The very important mass transit link bridge on the southern downtown Portland crossing of the Willamette River.
Portland-Milwaukie Light Rail Project: Route and Stations
walk, cycle, Trolley, MAX--- no cars. no trucks..

IF, and it is a big IF right now, this bridge is built, and IF the orange line starts running, since this bridge will not have to "open" for river traffic (delay in bridge traffic), it will make an excellent choice for students at PSU to choose housing along the Orange line for a quicker, and more on-time reliable, trips to class.

So the Streetcar loop (until the bridge is built) will most likely be from the Museum of Science and Industry up, over the Broadway St Bridge, and down to the bottom of 'Pill Hill; and the tram ride up the the state hospital. The current street cars and line will still be to the NW 23rd street and that Hospital up there.

BTW: have you ever heard about Portland's 4-T day excursion? It is a 4-T (Trail, Tram, Trolley, and Train) almost all afternoon walking excursion; here is a link:
http://library.oregonmetro.gov/files...olleytrain.pdf

Phil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland