Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM

286 posts, read 521,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
There's a huge difference between real soy sauce and "corn syrup plus water, salt and caramel coloring," and it sounds like they know it.

Just remember, soy sauce (the real stuff) is a fermented product and once opened it has a limited lifespan even in a refrigerator. Like a lot of things, it will lose it's flavor long before it's considered "unsafe" to eat. Therefore, like olive oil and a lot of other things, huge bottles for home use might not make a lot of sense (unless of course you cook large meals very frequently, like when you have a ton of kids).
I just had my bubble burst last week when I was told that most Japanese restaurants use horseradish with #3 (or whatever) green dye added and claim its actually wasabi, due to the real thing being very expensive.

Has anyone tried real wasabi and can you taste much of a difference?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I just had my bubble burst last week when I was told that most Japanese restaurants use horseradish with #3 (or whatever) green dye added and claim its actually wasabi, due to the real thing being very expensive.

Well I can tell you that I can handle a bit of horseradish but I have tasted real wasabi when I was in Hawaii (they touted the fact that is was real and therefore justified the high price) and I thought there was a 12 alarm fire in my mouth. So I believe there is a difference.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan653 View Post
That's a rather defensive response. The reality is Portland has a very visible homeless population compared with other cities across the country of a similar size. I have traveled extensively and lived in different parts of the country and I have seen it with my own eyes - I do not need a 10 year study to tell me this. Portland has a mild climate and a very liberal attitude towards the homeless and as a consequence there are more of them kicking around. Nothing to get spun up about and quite frankly some people just do not feel comfortable around them and so for some, the OP's comments are helpful. This forum is supposed to present people with as much information as possible about a particular place - not sugar coat a reputation. Are you going to honestly tell someone there are no homeless people in Portland? That would be ridiculous and horribly misleading. Are they mostly harmless? Yes, but that is another topic all together.
Good, Salient points. It seems people get defensive when you alk about their city. yet if they cared about their cities and had an open minded, liberal view or progressive politics, there shouldnt be any homeless in the city as all the progressivew would take them in to live with them.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Good, Salient points. It seems people get defensive when you alk about their city. yet if they cared about their cities and had an open minded, liberal view or progressive politics, there shouldnt be any homeless in the city as all the progressivew would take them in to live with them.
From what I can tell, so called liberal, progressive types are usually only interested in "solving" the world's problems using other people's money.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
It's such a conflict for me living here. On the one hand there's so much visual natural beauty, but on the other, for instance, there's too much electrosmog, and we are the current homeless capital of the usa.

Go ahead, it's your turn, express how you feel about living in Portland.

Oh this is fun...

LOVE: BEAUTIFUL area. Recently visited the San Jose area after being 4 years away (grew up there) and I was struck about how DIFFERENT and how dry the Bay Area is (took some great pictures of DEAD trees in that area. I really missed Oregon at that moment). Love how you can be at a bus stop without worrying that people will throw crap at you (experienced that in the Bay Area).

HATE: Missed the highly developed suburban areas that the Bay Area has (like Los Gatos, Saratoga, etc.) Tigard and Beaverton does NOT cut it (but I do know that developing like that would destroy the environment); Miss having multiple ways to get in and out of the city (here we only have 1-5/Pac Highway);

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM

49 posts, read 94,573 times
Quote:

A lot of restaurants use a a powdered wasabi mix, just add water!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,077 times
Originally Posted by carolinajack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
From what I can tell, so called liberal, progressive types are usually only interested in "solving" the world's problems using other people's money.
i think a lot of people who would love to help the homeless, probably have no place to put them. since they are not homeowners themselves, but maybe live in tiny apartments. it's not really a matter of taking a lot more money from folks to house the homeless, it's a matter of intelligent program and money and planning management which just doesn't currently exist in Portland. Pdx housing authority was recently turned down by HUD, for a huge HUD apartments redevelopment in Hillsdale, they didn't get their funding. I saw what they had proposed, and it was a preposterous proposal! Could practically build mini mansions for what they were wanting to spend on each new unit. This Housing Authority needs to just do some basic math and use a little common sense and thrift, and build max number of units with that HUD money, instead of deluxe contractor-enriching middle class quality units. The homeless, in large numbers, would love a roof over their heads that is safe and decent. But Fish, Khafoury, et al, and Portland Housing Authority just don't get it yet.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos6466 View Post
hello everyone. i'm moving to the portland area next week to continue teaching scuba diving... would love to get to meet some new people, too. i'll be working in portland, but since i'm a full-time rv'er, i found a place outside of the city that is rural and quiet. i'm a big microbrew beer fan, so will have to experience lots of those. love really good red wines, too. willamette valley has some super pinot noir's...!!! i've read a lot of the posts here and i think it's give and take. i've had my share of feeling sorry for myself, and when i quit my job at washington mutual in las vegas back in 2006, i discovered there was a lot bigger world out there... i fit in with different groups depending on what's happening. love to travel, dive, go off-roading, camping, and cooking... cheers, --carlos
there are so many good and beautiful rural places not far from the city, I too would prefer to live that way..... i grew up that way but can't afford to live in the now expensive, rural neighborhood I used to as a kid.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM

286 posts, read 521,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
From what I can tell, so called conservative, regressive types are usually not interested in "solving" their own county’s problems so long as there’s a Democrat in the White House.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
From what I can tell, so called conservative, regressive types are usually not interested in "solving" their own county’s problems so long as there’s a Democrat in the White House.
"regressive" ! ? - had to lol at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland