U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,974 posts, read 6,704,890 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan653 View Post
Who is "we"? The U.S. as a whole does not export nearly enough to Asia. The only reason Intel builds factories in the U.S. is to keep their intellectual property out of Chinese hands. Intel has lots of factories in China, they make chips that are several generations behind cutting-edge and so no important technology can be stolen. Gald you brought up Caterpillar. They have done a tremendous job keeping manufacturing jobs in the U.S. but guess what, they also have multiple factories in China. Do you know why? It is because the Chinese have certain protected industries upon which they impose a tarriff of 30% on imports - certain industrial equipment made by Caterpillar falls into that category (as do automobiles). Therefore, in order to sell certain heavy equipment into China (a huge market for equipment), Caterpillar has to partner with local Chinese firms and build the equipment there. If they do not, the 30% tarriff makes them completely uncompetitive. Do we do the same back to the Chinese? Hardly.

Now, because of the "sharing" that is required with local Chinese companies, there are two Chinese companies that have knocked off Caterpillar's equipment designs and are selling cheaper versions back into the U.S. at very cheap prices, competing directly against Caterpillar. This happens over and over where the Chinese government forces U.S. companies to transfer technological know-how to Chinese firms who then use it to compete back in the U.S. I am glad our government takes as good of care of our industry as China does of their own. "Free" trade so far is only free in one direction and people need to wake up.
China, Inc. (a book) talked alot about this. Not very fair...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
5,442 posts, read 4,216,366 times
Reputation: 3398
Fact, a chinese worker to get hired at Lenovo has to sign a "no suicide pact". Just in case he has a change of heart after two months on the job and the true brutality of what he has signed on for hits home, there is suicide deterent netting beneath all the upper stories of factory buildings. I am not sure what the right wing conservatives posting in this thread want us to do about the intentional offshoring of jobs to china and elsewhere. It sure sounds like they are blaming American workers for actually wanting salaries that prevent them from contemplating suicide. I cannot support such a position. "A laborer is worthy of his (her) hire". There are only two ways we can move forward: 1.) accept that it is a corporations right to automate, outsource or otherwise eliminate gainful employment for its workforce and lay them off to their fate while taxing said corporations to maintain a minimum standard of living for all persons. 2.) repatriate the workforces of American factories by insisting that corporations traded on American stock exchanges employ American labor force. Anything else is a slow slide towards civil breakdown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
 
506 posts, read 694,883 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodan653 View Post
Who is "we"? The U.S. as a whole does not export nearly enough to Asia. The only reason Intel builds factories in the U.S. is to keep their intellectual property out of Chinese hands. Intel has lots of factories in China, they make chips that are several generations behind cutting-edge and so no important technology can be stolen. Gald you brought up Caterpillar. They have done a tremendous job keeping manufacturing jobs in the U.S. but guess what, they also have multiple factories in China. Do you know why? It is because the Chinese have certain protected industries upon which they impose a tarriff of 30% on imports - certain industrial equipment made by Caterpillar falls into that category (as do automobiles). Therefore, in order to sell certain heavy equipment into China (a huge market for equipment), Caterpillar has to partner with local Chinese firms and build the equipment there. If they do not, the 30% tarriff makes them completely uncompetitive. Do we do the same back to the Chinese? Hardly.

Now, because of the "sharing" that is required with local Chinese companies, there are two Chinese companies that have knocked off Caterpillar's equipment designs and are selling cheaper versions back into the U.S. at very cheap prices, competing directly against Caterpillar. This happens over and over where the Chinese government forces U.S. companies to transfer technological know-how to Chinese firms who then use it to compete back in the U.S. I am glad our government takes as good of care of our industry as China does of their own. "Free" trade so far is only free in one direction and people need to wake up.

Yes I agree that China has a number of very self serving and non competitive practices toward foreign companies. It is indeed a large problem and it's actually getting worse, not better. However, there are only so many things we can do without starting a trade war. Many companies have been bringing these issues up recently, much more than a few years ago. Hopefully, they will begin to invest more in countries that don't treat them poorly.

In my opinion, the economic/political model that China currently has is really only workable in early stages of economic modernization like they've had the past 20-30 years. It's not sustainable. If history has shown us anything, it's that dictatorial political systems and command economies don't work in the long run.

Yes, I realize that we have a large trade deficit with most of Asia, mostly China. My point is that we do make a lot of things here and do export alot of things, and that for the most part those businesses are growing and selling more and more. The reason we have a deficit is because the imports have grown much faster than exports. We export $150 billion worth of goods and services a month. One interesting fact is that our trade deficit in August-$46 billion, is more than half made up of our imports of crude oil, fuel oil, and other petroleum products -$27.6 billion. If we could make some progress on that, it would go a long way towards eliminating our trade deficit.

Last edited by TDNY; 11-09-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Tualatin, OR
661 posts, read 1,038,458 times
Reputation: 644
From this morning's paper:

RadiSys begins a second round of Hillsboro job cuts | OregonLive.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 AM
 
506 posts, read 694,883 times
Reputation: 313
Just curious, I've seen a number of people on this forum write that Intel only hires Indians. Intel has 15000 employees in Oregon. They are all Indians? One of the govt officials thumping themselves on the back about Intel's new investments said that Intel pays their employees in Oregon on average over 100k a year. If they are paying well why would they be hiring people from India and bringing them to Oregon? Do Americans refuse to work for these salaries? Just curious, as I don't now nor will I ever work in the technology field.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 1,978,229 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Just curious, I've seen a number of people on this forum write that Intel only hires Indians. Intel has 15000 employees in Oregon. They are all Indians? One of the govt officials thumping themselves on the back about Intel's new investments said that Intel pays their employees in Oregon on average over 100k a year. If they are paying well why would they be hiring people from India and bringing them to Oregon? Do Americans refuse to work for these salaries? Just curious, as I don't now nor will I ever work in the technology field.
Not all. Old guard types that have been there since before Intel discovered how great abusing the H1(b) program was are still there. Most of the new FTE workers are insourced, however. Most of the new hires that are actually local are hired on a perma-contract basis (read: No benefits, vacation, holidays, etc.)

And I would be real curious to see just how it is this government official came to that 100k average statement, seeing as how I know no less than 30 people who work there, and only 1 or 2 of them even sniff 100k. Most of them work for 50-70k, which is absolutely pathetic for IT. I have a strong suspicion that the 100k mark is reached by calculating "total" compensation (i.e. salary + 401(k) match + vacation + holidays + training + employer SS/Medicare tax contributions + etc.) and then of course adding in things like stock appreciation for the CEO's holdings, etc to raise it more. It's pretty easy to turn a 60k a year job into 100k with a little creative math and by including non-salary items in your benchmarking. And out of all the times Intel has tried to recruit me to come work there (all of it contract, incidentally), the most I think I've ever seen them offer is 32 bucks an hour, or just over 65k. Just to put that in perspective of how pathetic a lowball that is, I make a base salary of just over $140,000 at my present job.

But, yeah. Don't expect any "local" jobs to be opened up as a result of Intel's expansions, unless you consider contractor work or scut work "local".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Sacramento CA
1,342 posts, read 779,789 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Yes I agree that China has a number of very self serving and non competitive practices toward foreign companies. It is indeed a large problem and it's actually getting worse, not better. However, there are only so many things we can do without starting a trade war. Many companies have been bringing these issues up recently, much more than a few years ago. Hopefully, they will begin to invest more in countries that don't treat them poorly.

In my opinion, the economic/political model that China currently has is really only workable in early stages of economic modernization like they've had the past 20-30 years. It's not sustainable. If history has shown us anything, it's that dictatorial political systems and command economies don't work in the long run.

Yes, I realize that we have a large trade deficit with most of Asia, mostly China. My point is that we do make a lot of things here and do export alot of things, and that for the most part those businesses are growing and selling more and more. The reason we have a deficit is because the imports have grown much faster than exports. We export $150 billion worth of goods and services a month. One interesting fact is that our trade deficit in August-$46 billion, is more than half made up of our imports of crude oil, fuel oil, and other petroleum products -$27.6 billion. If we could make some progress on that, it would go a long way towards eliminating our trade deficit.

How many yrs do you think it will take? Its very tough to tell right now. Some people are acting as if theres no problem economically and still people do work. We can't be that horrible. I think it ends up boiling down to if you are female, maybe have a neutral last name, or whatever else. I feel only certain types of people are getting picked for jobs now. Lucky for them, lousy for everyone else.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
 
12 posts, read 15,444 times
Reputation: 13
Question All I want for Christmas is an IT job

I need a job and at this point, I'd be happy to get any full time job in IT in the PDX metro area. It's always been hard to get decent work here. I was gone many years in FL and did OK until a recent merger/integration/layoff so I've come back home. I'm really worried as my unemployment countdown clock has about 100 days left and I haven't had even any responses to applications. I'm on those social networking/marketing sites, I've talked with about a 1/2 dozen recruiters. I can't get anything beyond autoresponders. How do you build a network in this town?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 PM
 
2,528 posts, read 1,978,229 times
Reputation: 1222
You don't build "a network", unless you're running your own 1099 corp-to-corp. If you have a good resume, companies find you. Hell, I *still* turn down 3 jobs a week down in Portland, just from people that aren't aware I've moved. The concept that you have to "know" somebody is a complete pile of crap. You just have to be good at what you do. Here, I'll even give you a couple of leads. I know both of them are valid, "need someone yesterday" positions, because neither of these guys ever email me unless it's immediate need, even though both of these positions are beneath my level. Feel free to contact at your leisure, as they always ask me if I know anyone who'd be interested when I turn them down. For the record, the 2nd listing is for a company called Fiserv. I'd recognize one of their listings anywhere. Full time with them will probably be in the 110,000 a year range:

1) This is from this morning:


[SIZE=2]Good morning <Redacted>,[/SIZE]

It has been a while since we last spoke. I was wondering if you might have an interest in a Network Consultant opportunity with one of our top clients in Portland. I appreciate your consideration.







Job Functions

Provide enterprise network support including trouble shooting, designing and building.
Support and maintain firewalls and other network security systems.
Support F5 load balancing.
Participate in project discussions and analyze customer and project needs.


Basic Qualifications

15 years of Information Technology experience is required.
10+ years of experience supporting large scale computer networks required.
Cisco CCNP or higher Certification (Must be current) required.
Advanced knowledge of Cisco networking products including wireless technologies required.
Advanced knowledge of Checkpoint and Juniper firewall technologies required.
Experience with network trouble shooting tools required.
Intermediate knowledge of BigIP F5 load balancing required.
The ability to provide positive customer service required.
Advanced communication skills required.
Advanced Technical writing skills required.
Advanced technical proficiency in relevant operating systems (Linux, Solaris, BSD, Windows) required.
Participation in weekly "on-call" rotation required.




Michele Matthews
Technology Recruiter
KFORCE Technology Staffing
10300 SW Greenburg Rd.
Portland, OR 97223
toll free: 888.302.2700
phone: 503.244.2700 ext. 3734


---------------------------------------

2) Also from this morning:

Hi <Redacted>,

Good morning! This is Jack Burns from PRI, we’d like to present our Contract to Hire Systems Engineer Position in Hillsboro, OR. I found your resume on Dice and thought I'd add myself to the recruiters likely flooding your inbox.Below is the job description which we believe you are qualified in. Do you think you are a fit for this position as well? What would be the best time to call you?

System Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

520 hours would be around 3 and half months
Update – 3 month contract to hire (Perm)
We offer full benefits
This position is a contract to hire position. All applicants must be willing to become full-time employees after 90 days assuming solid performance and business necessity still exists. Must be willing to accept a full-time salary in the pay range of <Redacted>


Job Title: System Engineer
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Duration: 3 months to Hire
Rate: $45.50 - $56 on W2

Job Description:
This position is located within the Professional Services division. It is primarily a customer engagement based systems engineering / infrastructure position that requires advanced technical, organizational, and communication skills. Previous experience in designing, installing, configuring, and customizing internet e-commerce systems is required. Specifically, the Staff Systems Engineer position is responsible for installing, configuring, and customizing Internet-based online banking applications.
The Senior Systems Engineer installs, configures and customizes products sold to clients and business partners. The engineer works with client and implementation Project Managers to design (with security in mind) and install systems and devices to support the Voyager software components, both locally and at the client’s site. The Senior Systems Engineer demonstrates a willingness to devise solutions in accordance with an implementation budget. As a technical leader within professional services, this person ensures that projects are conducted in ways that benefit the project objectives.

Requirements:
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related discipline preferred.


Minimum of five years experience installing, configuring and customizing Microsoft server software (e.g., Windows server, Clustering, performance tuning, Security, Active Directory, SQL Server, and IIS).


Minimum of five years experience installing and configuring Intel-based hardware platforms


Knowledge and experience with software security, especially security lockdown procedures for Internet applications


Strong technical base in working with networking and firewalls.


Experienced in designing, installing, configuring, and customizing infrastructure solutions for high volume Internet sites.

Experienced in designing and implementing high-availability and disaster recovery solutions for e-commerce Internet sites


Experienced in developing estimates for design and deployment of the infrastructure solution for the engagement.


Ability to provide technical leadership to project teams as necessary.


Willingness and ability to travel 50% of the time.


MCSE certification preferred.


SAN experience desired.


Financial services industry expertise a plus.


Project management / team lead experience desired




Thanks

Jack Burns
Programmer Resources Intl Inc
219 Clarkson Executive Park
Ellisville MO 63011
(Direct Line) 636 779 1659
(Alt) 805 277 3579
(Toll Free) 877 591 0063 xt. 109
(Fax) 636 256 9064
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 AM
 
506 posts, read 694,883 times
Reputation: 313
Wow, another post from you telling us how totally super awesome you are. Good job!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top