Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,284 times

Advertisements

I have one child and might try for another one in the next year (I'm getting anxious that I might be pregnant right now actually) and over the last several months have considered a midwife this time around. I have some major questions though, and really should call a couple of local places, but I want to ask here too.
With my first, I had an epidural and really think I'm going to need that the next time around. Is that an option if I go to a midwife? And do midwives deliver in a hospital if I prefer?
What are some major pros/cons I should think about?
Any information on midwives would be great.

(If I end up taking a positive test this week, I'll definitely be calling some midwives in my area, asap!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times
If you wish to go the midwife route, please realize that most if not all midwives prefer the all natural, less invasive technology during labor route. They are more hands on, water birth, massage, breathing techniques than a doctor would be. If you are looking for pain relief like an epidural you will most likely not get it unless you are transferred to a hospital. Most midwives do homebirths and birthing centers which dependent on the state you live in can be in a hospital setting or located near a hospital in case something goes wrong with delivery and you need to be transferred. My strong suggestion is to do your research.

The great thing about a midwife is cost and care. The care you receive from a midwife is probably more one to one than that of an ob/gyn who has a greater load of patients he needs to divide his time and attention to. The cost is relatively low when considering prenatal care and delivery with a midwife. I once received a quote of $3000 to deliver in a birthing center (it included prenatal care) for my possible surrogate before I realized I was pregnant.

Interview and talk to the midwives and see how you get on. If complications arise you will be recommended to an ob/gyn. Also talk to the midwife about how your previous pregnancy and labor and deliver went. Talk to her about options such as water birth, pain relief techniques and whether or not you want the family to view this birth.

You can find advice on midwives here:

Midwives : American Pregnancy Association
midwife.org
Midwives Alliance of North America

I wish you all the best!

Mrs.X

Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
With my first, I had an epidural and really think I'm going to need that the next time around. Is that an option if I go to a midwife?
Yes for midwives who delivers in a hospital setting.

Quote:
And do midwives deliver in a hospital if I prefer?
Yes. Most midwives deliver in the hospital, some deliver in birthing centers and some deliver at home. If you prefer a hospital setting then choose a midwife who delivers in a hospital setting.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
I recommend watching the documentary that Ricki Lake produced "The Business of Being Born". Very, very good. I will absolutely be having a midwife, no drugs, no doctors - unless, of course, I'm high risk or there are complications. It's more difficult to find a doctor who will work with a midwife than a midwife who will work with a doctor.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
You could also choose a Family Practitioner. They tend to be more holistic, plus they can care for you and baby pre-conception, pregnancy, birth and beyond. I had my last baby, a VBAC, with our FP and he was great.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I recommend watching the documentary that Ricki Lake produced "The Business of Being Born". Very, very good. I will absolutely be having a midwife, no drugs, no doctors - unless, of course, I'm high risk or there are complications. It's more difficult to find a doctor who will work with a midwife than a midwife who will work with a doctor.

I did watch that, which is exactly what is making me want one!!!
But I know I need an epidural. And I'd just feel better about being in a hospital so that if something were to happen, we were already there.

Thank you for all the info. I'll be calling and asking if they deliver in a hospital, and if they do, go to a couple interviews or something to ask more questions.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM

324 posts, read 837,638 times
I used a midwife practice for my pregnancy/delivery and will do the same if we are blessed with #2. It was a great experience.

I'm sure all practices are different, but the midwife group I used works strictly in conjuction with the local hospital/birthing center so you have all the access to doctors, drugs, etc. if you need it but not if you don't. The only thing that I can think of that really wasn't an option was water birth because of hospital regulations, but again, I'm sure if varies depending on the hospital.

I know a lot of people worry about not getting an epidural with a midwife but I actually ended up getting the epidural at the (gentle) suggestion of my midwife! After over 36 hours of unproductive labor, she took pity on me I guess. LOL

Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,350 times
My ob office has a midwife as part of the staff. For people who want to use a midwife, she does all of the prenatal visits, delivers at the hospital (so that people can get medical care quickly in case of an emergency), and does post natal follow up. Though I was using the ob (due to my medical risk that necessitated a c/s), I did see the midwife for a few prenatal visits when my ob was called out on a delivery. She was absolutely fantastic, and I definitely would have used her if I were able to plan on a normal delivery. She also came by my hospital room after dd was born, and again was absolutely fantastic. I don't know if that is common to all midwives, but her level of care and support and making me feel like something more than 'just another patient' was refreshing.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
American College of Nurse Midwves Congratulations!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
There seems to be some confusion in this thread.

Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) work in conjunction with an MD or DO and deliver in hospitals and birthing centers. Rarely will an MD backup someone doing home deliveries.

Lay midwives are uncertified and unlicensed (in midwifery). They are the ones who perform home births.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy