Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:46 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's a very common practice among highly respectable and prominent Southern families, who honor their family heritage in this way. I do strongly dislike the random use of surnames for first names when they are unconnected to the family in any way, but recognize that this is a parental choice (even if I do think it's not a very good choice!).

But using Great Grandma's maiden name as a first, given name is fine in my book, and I see nothing remotely "trashy" about it.

It might be apt to note that many popular given names started out as surnames: Cary/Carey, Shirley, Beverly, Howard, Ashley...plus many more. These names are now unremarkable and common enough that few would stop to inquire if there is a family connection to the Cary, Shirley, Beverly, Howard, or Ashley family. But currently trendy given names like Jackson, Anderson, Madison, Grandison, etc. are another matter, at least in my own vie - unless there is a family connection.
Gee thanks. We named our son after my MIL 's family. I think for her she wanted it to be remembered and carried on. For us we loved the history and family connection. For me it was unique. My family is incredibly ethnic and none of our family names could ever be used as a first name.
Every time I run into a child (well I used to) with my son's name I would ask about a family connection to the name. It used to come as a surprise to me that people would use a surname as a first name with no connection to them. Honestly it still kind of boggles me. But hey what ever makes you happy. It's really not my job to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Sorry, but I think last names used as first names are very trashy.
Not trashy at all! My son has my maiden name as his middle name. He grew up being called by his first name but switched to using his middle name when he finished college. I have cousins who were actually given the same name as a first name.

I think it's a great way to preserve family surnames that might otherwise be lost.

I like your suggestion of Adriana, by the way.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's a very common practice among highly respectable and prominent Southern families, who honor their family heritage in this way. I do strongly dislike the random use of surnames for first names when they are unconnected to the family in any way, but recognize that this is a parental choice (even if I do think it's not a very good choice!).

But using Great Grandma's maiden name as a first, given name is fine in my book, and I see nothing remotely "trashy" about it.

It might be apt to note that many popular given names started out as surnames: Cary/Carey, Shirley, Beverly, Howard, Ashley...plus many more. These names are now unremarkable and common enough that few would stop to inquire if there is a family connection to the Cary, Shirley, Beverly, Howard, or Ashley family. But currently trendy given names like Jackson, Anderson, Madison, Grandison, etc. are another matter, at least in my own vie - unless there is a family connection.
Thank-you I love and respect some of my family members and it's not particularily nice to consider one "trashy" because of someone else's standards.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
From what you are writing, it appears that her husband's family very clearly wants to "take over" and steamroll right over the wishes of the future mother (your niece).

BTW, how can your niece possible have "no ethnic background"? Sheesh! Maybe she has multiple ethnic groups in her background (part French, part German, part Irish, part Native American, etc. etc).
Frankly, it sounds like the in-laws may be upset that her husband did not marry a woman of 100% Italian descent and that is why they are so insistent that they name the baby an Italian name.

If her in-laws really wanted a child with an Italian name they should have named their own children Italian names. They should have absolutely no say in their great-grandchild's name, grandchild's name (or their niece or nephew's name).

I would suggest that the couple do what my husband and I did (and what most of our friends did as well).

Find a good baby name book. The future Mom and the future Dad each select a certain number of their favorite names, maybe 10 or 15. Then take that list of 20 or 30 and each future parent gets to cross off any name that they absolutely hate. You may end up with a slightly smaller list and then the future parents discuss and maybe even vote on their favorite names from that list. Take your time (after all it takes the baby nine months to develop). Once the parents decide DO NOT tell anyone the names until after the child is born and then announce the name of the baby.

Notice that I kept saying "future parents"? IMHO, in-laws, parents, best friends, the obstetrician, the hair dresser, the dog groomer, etc. etc. have absolutely no say in what the future parents decide to name their child.

Craigcreek, makes some great points. however, I (and many other people, too) strongly disagree with giving a "formal name" and then planning on the child using a nickname. If you want your child to be called "Abby" name her Abby and not Abigail, if you want your child to be called "Gabe" name him Gabe and not Gabriel. I have even seen birth announcement with the full name written out and the parents listing a nickname that they want you to call the newborn.

This! A thousand times THIS!

They don't recognize that my niece has an ethnic background and a religion. She was raised as a Methodist. They are Italian Catholic, however, her husband is one quarter Scotch -Irish.

He does "not count that". Why?

I agree with CraigCreek that I'm not fond of naming children abbreviated names. In general.

However, some diminutives have indeed, taken on a life of their own. "Jake" sounds fine to me.
Other names such as "Molly" which was originally a diminutive for "Mary", is a fact not known by most.

My niece also has issues with her grandparent's-in-law, who live in an in law apartment behind her home. She is an avid gerontologist, and once let it slip that she is distantly related to the Hatfields and the McCoys. (to be fair, we are also related to a president and a few pilgrims and people who fought in the American revolution and on both sides of the Civil War)

They have taken to calling her "Daisy May" and "Hillbilly".

To everyone who said that ultimately the parents name the child, I could not agree more!

However, we have always been close, and I think that it isn't unusual for her to come to me. Essentially, I will be functioning as a Grandmother, and I think he does feel "steamrolled".

I'm trying to do what she asked - give her some moral support and some alternatives that might be acceptable to her husband - and his very vocal family.

I'm passing on some of you're very good suggestions.

My niece's name (I may as well say it, because there are probably 25 CD members with the same name, is "Jennifer Lynne". That might give everyone an idea of why a slightly unique name is important to her.

"Lynne" is a family name that does double duty as a middle name for many people in my family.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Since it is important to her that the baby not have a super-popular name, here is some advice.

Take a look at the US Social Security names website at Popular Baby Names .

Click on the tab about halfway down the page that says "Popularity of a Name" and enter a name she is considering (e.g. Mia).

Enter at least 50 for "Number of Years" and then "Go."

Observe the graph that comes up. Mia was moderately used for a long time, but has been rising exponentially for the past 15 years and is now in the top 10. This is a name that fits the qualifications of a "trendy" name. It is probably similar in usage to your niece's own name. (Is she Jessica? Ashley?) This is not the profile she is looking for.

Try another name, such as the suggestion of Beatrice (which I really like by the way). The stats for this name show that it has been rising very moderately and its ranking is down in the 500s. In terms of popularity, this is a "safe" name that is not going to surprise everyone by suddenly becoming the next Isabella any time soon.

Hopefully this tool will help her weed out the very popular/common from the more unusual names on her list.

So close! She is "Jennifer Lynne". But CraigCreek will be happy to know that "Lynne" - although without the "e" is a family sir name.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This! A thousand times THIS!

They don't recognize that my niece has an ethnic background and a religion. She was raised as a Methodist. They are Italian Catholic, however, her husband is one quarter Scotch -Irish.

He does "not count that". Why?

My niece also has issues with her grandparent's-in-law, who live in an in law apartment behind her home. She is an avid gerontologist, and once let it slip that she is distantly related to the Hatfields and the McCoys. (to be fair, we are also related to a president and a few pilgrims and people who fought in the American revolution and on both sides of the Civil War)

They have taken to calling her "Daisy May" and "Hillbilly". .
Wow, that sounds pretty disrespectful of them.

Has she asked her husband when they will be moving away from his family?

And, if he acted surprised and said "Never", what was her response?

I suspect that the fight over who will have the final say in the baby's name, in-laws, grandparent-in-laws, sister-in-laws OR the baby's mom & dad is just the first in years and years of battles. Does you niece really want that to happen? She may need to really "put her foot down" on this issue.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:22 PM

She is thinking of the name Mia for a girl. I think it's pretty, but she is worried that it is to common - like Jennifer or Jessica.

The last name that three syllables and ends in an "O"

Here tentative boys name remains Madden - which is a family name on my side of the family.

I like Madeleine. She is also worried that it's common.

She e-mailed me this morning requesting ideas. I happen to like names that end in a consonant with a vowel ending name.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
She is thinking of the name Mia for a girl. I think it's pretty, but she is worried that it is to common - like Jennifer or Jessica.

The last name that three syllables and ends in an "O"

Here tentative boys name remains Madden - which is a family name on my side of the family.

I like Madeleine. She is also worried that it's common.

She e-mailed me this morning requesting ideas. I happen to like names that end in a consonant with a vowel ending name.
Mia a common name? I think not. It's quite uncommon. I can't think of a single regular person, just a stray celebrity, with that name. Mia is not even on the same planet (in terms of prevelance) as Jennifer or Jessica at all. Madeleine isn't common either. Madden sounds like one of those trendy boys' names that are going around nowadays (like the Jaden craze) but since it's a family name, it makes sense for you to consider it.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Sometimes it depends on the state, some trends pick early or later. Why not check out: Popular Names by State to get an idea where its trending. (FYI, Scooby, Mia is #4 in Texas, if you haven't come across a girl with that name, it'll be sooner than you think)

Mia, for example, is #26 in my current state-- Common enough that it's not too unusual. But she's not as likely to deal with a horde of other girls with the same name. In my previous state, Mia is #10. Definitely likely to have at least one in her grade level.

My friend named their daughter Ava in the year it was in the top 10 (I think it was #6), no research on her part, thought it was unusual. She's now aggravated because there's definitely a couple other girls with the same name and the school/children resorted to giving her a nickname (AJ) she hates it.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:52 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Sometimes it depends on the state, some trends pick early or later. Why not check out: Popular Names by State to get an idea where its trending. (FYI, Scooby, Mia is #4 in Texas)

Mia, for example, is #26 in my current state-- Common enough that it's not too unusual. But she's not as likely to deal with a horde of other girls with the same name. In my previous state, Mia is #10. Definitely likely to have at least one in her grade level.

My friend named their daughter Ava in the year it was in the top 10 (I think it was #6), no research on her part, thought it was unusual. She's now aggravated because there's definitely a couple other girls with the same name and the school/children resorted to giving her a nickname (AJ) she hates it.
Exactly, Inkpoe. I thought Mia wasn't a common name, but once I plugged it into that cool website you posted for my state (TX), it popped up near the top of the list! I don't have kids and aren't around them much, however, so I don't know what people name their kids, except for "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" or "QUIET!" I just know that from going to Walmart or restaurants. I was correct about the Jaden name in boys, however. It's #2 in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy