Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

I have 4 boys, the oldest from my first marriage whose father was not circumcised so neither was he. The 3 younger are from my second marriage and their father was circumcised. The decision was left up to my husband and it was his responsibility to be there with them when it happened. The only problem I have had was with the uncircumcised for a while his foreskin would not retract but since he is now 20 this is not something he cares to discuss with me, I am assuming it is not a problem any longer. I don't regret either decision and this decision like alot of others in regards to our children are personal ones, made based on your convictions and what works best for your family. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
925mine,
Did you read what I wrote? I said that I don't personally consider it mutilation. I just don't think it's such a ridiculous argument. jeez...

But I would have to agree that for someone who has been circumcized, that I think that certainly their foreskin is imperfect and mutilated at least.
I am sorry to seem so dense but are you saying that the foreskin after circumcision is imperfect and mutilated? I don't know about other children but my circumcised boys have no foreskin left so how could it be imperfect or mutilated? Maybe my boys doctors did something differently. And if I am misunderstanding your point I will apologize in advance.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Oh and just to add, all 3 of the younger were circumcised and were breastfed and I never encountered them not wanting to nurse. As a matter of fact if I recall correctly they all wanted to latch on as soon as they came back to me. But of course everyone's situation is different.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
There is however, a direct connection between circumscision and pain. How could it NOT hurt? I don't think there is any anestheisa or painkiller that is approved for use on newborns so the babies have to take what most men would never sign up for. Namely, their penis and cutting and pain. That's something you have to do to someone who's helpless and defenseless. Just like the poor girls in Africa.
There is pain if a child falls out of bed (that happened to my roommate's baby when my daughter was born) on her/his head as well. The belly button healing would also be a bit painful (at least it looks like it would be). Colic is AWFUL and painful.

If an infant has ANY kind of surgery it would be painful. Are you thinking they don't anesthetize infants when they have things like open heart surgery or intestinal surgery, or any other kind of surgery ?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am sorry to seem so dense but are you saying that the foreskin after circumcision is imperfect and mutilated? I don't know about other children but my circumcised boys have no foreskin left so how could it be imperfect or mutilated? Maybe my boys doctors did something differently. And if I am misunderstanding your point I will apologize in advance.
Yes, well if it is completely removed, then I think that qualifies as imperfect and mutilated. I mean, it's not functioning at all. Not saying that your boys are, just their foreskin.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
dont cut it. it is mutilation and can cause problems later on in life.

i have a friend who had a botched circumcision when he was younger. it resulted in "penis bridges" or skin bridges, i cant remeber what he called them. he had to later have them clipped and it was the most painful experience ever. particularly because the glan5 attaches to the shaft and must be seperated. the glan5 is the most sensitive part. like the clitoris.

as for adult circumcision it is not as that painful. if it only involves the intact foreskin. i have another friend who recentyl decided to cut his foreskin. at 30 y/o. but his case was one that involved phimosis. let the boy decide when he is grown up.

there are times that circumcision is necessary (phimosis), but in most cases it is not.

it can cause larger problems.

as for the "look different" that others, aspect. thats all relative. if he happened to go to a school with a bunch of latinos, chances are most boys would be uncircumcised. so he would be the different one for having it cut. but in the end, thats a very superficial reason.

teach your boys hygeine and cleanliness and you will be fine.

i am against circumcision because it is not necessary.

would you cut your baby girls labia off?

thats exactly what you are cutting off. think of that.

we condemn female mutilation, but not male. awful double standard.

Last edited by the one; 09-23-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: i meant condemn

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,661 times
Quote:
Yes, well if it is completely removed, then I think that qualifies as imperfect and mutilated. I mean, it's not functioning at all. Not saying that your boys are, just their foreskin.
If completely removed, it isn't there to be anything. It cannot be imperfect or mutilated if it doesn't exist.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Well, OP, it seems like we cetainly gave you a lot to think about! Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
WHY? That's ridiculous! Routine circ was started to prevent boys from mast**bating. It desensitizes the penis! It cuts off a 1/3 of the length of a boys penis when he is hours old. It takes away the "gliding action" that a penis is SUPPOSED to have! Again, here is a link to the benefits of foreskin: The Foreskin Advantage: Benefits Enjoyed by Males who are Intact (not circumcised)

There is NO reason to cut anything off of an infant just becasue his future partner may have a problem with it!
I wouldn't say circumcision stops guys from playing with themself.
I think majority of circumcised guys still play with themself.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
According to the AAP:
The Assessment and Management of Acute Pain in Infants, Children, and Adolescents -- Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health 108 (3): 793 -- AAP Policy

Available research indicates that newborn circumcisions are a significant source of pain during the procedure and are associated with irritability and feeding disturbances during the days afterward.
Let's be fair & also state that the AAP does not take a stance one way or the other. It lists both the pros & the cons.

"Scientific studies show some medical benefits of circumcision. However, these benefits are not sufficient for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to recommend that all infant boys be circumcised.

Because circumcision is not essential to a child's health, parents should choose what is best for their child by looking at the benefits and risks. Circumcision may be more risky if done later in life, so parents should decide before or soon after their son is born if they want it done.

Reasons parents may choose circumcision

There are a variety of reasons why parents choose circumcision.

Medical benefits, including
A slightly lower risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs). A circumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 1,000 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life; an uncircumcised infant boy has about a 1 in 100 chance of developing a UTI in the first year of life.
A lower risk of getting cancer of the penis. However, this type of cancer is very rare in all males.
A slightly lower risk of getting sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Prevention of foreskin infections.
Prevention of phimosis, a condition in uncircumcised males that makes foreskin retraction impossible.
Easier genital hygiene.
Social reasons. Many parents choose to have it done because "all the other men in the family" had it done or because they do not want their sons to feel "different."
Religious or cultural reasons. Some groups such as followers of the Jewish and Islamic faiths practice circumcision for religious and cultural reasons.

Reasons parents may choose not to circumcise

The following are reasons why parents may choose NOT to have their son circumcised:

Fear of the risks. Complications are rare and usually minor but may include bleeding, infection, cutting the foreskin too short or too long, and improper healing.
Belief that the foreskin is needed. Some people feel the foreskin is needed to protect the tip of the penis. Without it, the tip of the penis may become irritated and cause the opening of the penis to become too small. This can cause urination problems that may need to be surgically corrected.
Belief it can affect sex. Some feel that circumcision makes the tip of the penis less sensitive, causing a decrease in sexual pleasure later in life.
Belief that proper hygiene can lower health risks. Boys can be taught proper hygiene that can lower their chances of getting infections, cancer of the penis, and STIs"

So, one way or the other, it's a personal deicision.

Just wish everyone could take a minute to chill instead of pounding it in over & over. After awhile, either side starts to sound a little silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy