Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM

135 posts, read 512,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Could you give me an idea what a pregnancy and birth (probably c-section) would cost if uninsured? I realise costs can vary widely, but let's assume an uneventful, low risk pregnancy, but wanting good care (ie not having to go to the ER for blood tests or stuff like that!). I am in Arkansas (and no, I am not pregnant, just dreaming...)
To put it simply, thousands of dollars.

I'd suggest getting insurance before even dreaming about it.

Do I like paying out the wazoo for insurance? Nope .. but it's 100% necessary IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,518 times
Its threads like this that make me appreciate my job so much...with our insurance one copay of $25 covers everything. I cannot imagine how we'd make it without insurance.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,194 times
Thanks for the info!

Yodi- I already have 10 month old twins, born in Ireland, who were born by c-section after failed induction (they started to run out of space and were born at 39 weeks weighing 6.6 and 7.4 pounds). I'd like a VBAC, but am told in the USA, doctors tend to refuse them.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Penguin, you might find a doc who would do a VBAC, but you would probably have more luck with a midwife (either at a birthing center or a homebirth), as long as you have no risk factors. If you have no insurance, that would be a less expensive way to go as well. Most states do have uninsured child health insurance that also covers pregnant women, so that might be worth looking into, despite the eye rolls and forehead smacks from others. Not everyone can afford the insanely high premiums for insurance, especially those who are in good health and would not tend to utilize those plans.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Penguin, you might find a doc who would do a VBAC, but you would probably have more luck with a midwife (either at a birthing center or a homebirth), as long as you have no risk factors. If you have no insurance, that would be a less expensive way to go as well. Most states do have uninsured child health insurance that also covers pregnant women, so that might be worth looking into, despite the eye rolls and forehead smacks from others. Not everyone can afford the insanely high premiums for insurance, especially those who are in good health and would not tend to utilize those plans.
Oh, now I see what the "face smack" is all about!

That's what I figured! How rude

That public assistance is for those who cannot afford insurance. I know some people take advantage, but that doesn't mean that a child should go uninsured.

Both my husband and I are full time students while he works 80 hours per week and I 15 and also care for an infant!

We "self-payey" the FEW times we ever went to the doctor (we do much better without them) but there was NO way we could afford to pay for all prenatel and postnatal care AND the birth!

If you don't qualify for the public assistance (which I'm sure you've paid into your whole working life as did I) hospitals have payment plans. They CANNOT turn you away from prenatal/postnatal care or for the baby and you after he/she is born. So after you get all the bills (probably one from the janitor as well) you can just set something up with each bill source.

Good Luck

Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
if you can hold off the new prez will cover you for free

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
While I do know that not everyone can afford insurance if it is not provided thorugh their employer.... but if you are PLANNING to get pregnant, as is the case of the OP, wouldn't part of the PLANNING include the financial (which was the purpose of this post). Now, if you're planning, and you know the cost is a factor, wouldn't 5400.00(300.00 x 18 months) be well spent to cover the pregnancy and any unforseen problems? I would go with getting insurance.... I would not want to be in the position of.... My baby (or I) need this treatment... I cannot pay for it right now.... I could use public assistance, but I have to go to a clinic in where the doctors are overworked or I make too much money to qualify for the procedure to be covered... or the doctor won't list the procedure as a necessity, so medicaid (or whatever) won't cover it at all.

The OP is showing that she is being responsible by getting her information before she gets pregnant. The responsible thing to do is get insurance.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:34 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Thanks for the info!

Yodi- I already have 10 month old twins, born in Ireland, who were born by c-section after failed induction (they started to run out of space and were born at 39 weeks weighing 6.6 and 7.4 pounds). I'd like a VBAC, but am told in the USA, doctors tend to refuse them.
You have to prepare for everything, including multiples and including NICU. NICU babies can run $100K. I wish you a normal pregnancy, and delivery but you may suddenly develop gestational diabetes, or have preeclampsia. Please get insurance to give yourself some peace of mind. My C-sections (2) about 12 & 14 years ago were $8K a piece...I'm sure it's much higher now.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
I have to agree with the PPs - if you are planning on becoming pregnant - get insurance. Being a parent means accepting responsibility - including financial responsibility. Thinking you can just pay as you go for pregnancies and dr. visits sounds great - until things go wrong and they can go very wrong. Wonder if your kids need surgery? Paying out of pocket for Dr. appts for an ear infection is one thing. Hospitalization in quite another. Public assistance should be utilized as a last resort and should be a temporary solution. Yes, insurance is expensive - and PART of the reason is that hospitals end up having to recoup the costs for the uninsured in some way or go bankrupt (yes yes, I know, insurance companies make lots of money blah blah so don't go there - I said PART of the reason and that argument is for a different forum). Be a responsible adult and parent. Get insurance for the pregnancy and to keep your children healthy. And for your own financial well being.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have to agree with the PPs - if you are planning on becoming pregnant - get insurance. Being a parent means accepting responsibility - including financial responsibility. Thinking you can just pay as you go for pregnancies and dr. visits sounds great - until things go wrong and they can go very wrong. Wonder if your kids need surgery? Paying out of pocket for Dr. appts for an ear infection is one thing. Hospitalization in quite another. Public assistance should be utilized as a last resort and should be a temporary solution. Yes, insurance is expensive - and PART of the reason is that hospitals end up having to recoup the costs for the uninsured in some way or go bankrupt (yes yes, I know, insurance companies make lots of money blah blah so don't go there - I said PART of the reason and that argument is for a different forum). Be a responsible adult and parent. Get insurance for the pregnancy and to keep your children healthy. And for your own financial well being.
sorry, just because you are working class and can't afford insurance does NOT mean you should NOT be able to enjoy having a family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy