Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
No, it doesn't rhyme with Kimberly, it's just similar. The beginning is pronounced like the beginning of Emma, not with an "i" sound.

but I guess I partially take it back, not easy for everyone to spell or pronounce :/
In some places 'em' and 'im' will be pronounced the same. Come on down south and ask someone for a 'pin' and they will give you a writing tool. Emma is pronounced more like Imma so with Emberly people might think it rhymes with Kimberly. I'm a yankee so my enunciation is more precise but I had to learn to be careful listening to short e's and i's down here. If someone asks if you want 'hip' they aren't asking you to boogie, they mean 'help'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
In some places 'em' and 'im' will be pronounced the same. Come on down south and ask someone for a 'pin' and they will give you a writing tool. Emma is pronounced more like Imma so with Emberly people might think it rhymes with Kimberly. I'm a yankee so my enunciation is more precise but I had to learn to be careful listening to short e's and i's down here. If someone asks if you want 'hip' they aren't asking you to boogie, they mean 'help'.
I don't have enough fingers and toes for the number of times I have been called "Imily"

Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. That pronunciation would annoy me! No offense to southerners!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. That pronunciation would annoy me! No offense to southerners!
No problem. I'm glad to hip ya out, anytime.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
In some places 'em' and 'im' will be pronounced the same. Come on down south and ask someone for a 'pin' and they will give you a writing tool.
Especially if you ask for an "ink pin".

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Not a fan of trendy or "invented" names, myself. Don't like the trend of giving names weird spellings by substituting y's and i's for each other, etc. People should also be fined at least $5,000 for naming their kid "Nevaeh."

Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 55,504 times
I would seriously consider reading this article: Baby names have long-lasting effects, for better or worse - CSMonitor.com before giving an unusual name, particularly giving a boy a girly sounding name.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Did you hear about the woman who had twins (boy and girl) and named them Male and Female?

Pronounced Ma'lee and Fee'ma'lee.

It's probably not true, though.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not a fan of trendy or "invented" names, myself. Don't like the trend of giving names weird spellings by substituting y's and i's for each other, etc. People should also be fined at least $5,000 for naming their kid "Nevaeh."
I agree.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 PM

134 posts, read 634,091 times
Default Baby Girl!

Great news! My wife and I had a baby girl last week. I just want to post to thank you all for your opinions on baby names.

We chose to name our baby girl Gretchen Joi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy