Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:53 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,598 times

Advertisements

I like the name Pallas for a girl....you know, say it just like the castle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I have an uncommon first name. And let me tell you, all through school, 12 full years, I hated it. I wanted a name like all the other girls. Barbara, Mary, Helen, etc. anything but the dreadful one I had. I am pushing 80 now, my name, at one time, was very popular, it didn't last long. I suspect that the girls that had it, didn't like the way it sounded either.

If it's an unusual spelling, your child will have the fun of teaching the teacher the correct spelling, over and over and over again.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:07 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times
I like Hayden and Emmalin...I don't care for the rest....sorry.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I like Rene Laurent and Emmalin Grace. "Amsterdam" sounds like you're trying too hard, IMHO.

"Laurent" is the name of a character in the Twilight books/movies, so it won't be all that unusual for kids.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
I really don't like the trend of making the most unique name possible. In a few years, the names will be out of fashion and people will look at you like you're crazy. (Actually, I'd look at anyone like they were crazy for naming their kid "Amsterdam"...)

Think about the kid 25 years from now, when they're applying for a job--which resume is going to get looked at more seriously? "Michael" or "Amsterdam"? Same goes for if it's a girl. "Sarah" is probably going to be given a lot more respect on paper than "Haylei". Not saying you have to name your kid a super traditional, mainstream name, but there's a lot to be said for professionalism.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
I think that people who name their children after geographical points on a map are silly.
keep in mind, I love Amsterdam (the city) as much as the next person, seriously, but as a name?
Kids will pick on that for sure, Hamster, Damn etc etc

I think people who have named their kids Dallas, Brooklyn Paris etc etc are void of creativity, it's shameful.

Amsterdam or The Hague are great band names perhaps, but kids? hmmmmm

Old 05-14-2010, 01:44 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times
Ha Laurent is the leader of the evil vampires in Twilight LOL!

I don't get all the crazy name stuff--if I were to have a child I would look at Adam, Andy, Hannah, (but I crazy spellings and crazy names drive me nutso)--most people are just average in life and if by naming your kid something cre8tive (ha!) you think they will be exceptional and above the rest you are most likely wrong. What happened to names like John and Michael?

BTW--I looked up popular Dutch baby names and these were nice (and not whack-a-do)
Girls: Anna, Iris, Amber, Sophie
Boys: Thomas, Tim, Lucas, Nick

For French:
Girls: Clara, Chloe, Marie, Pauline
Boys: Nathan, Theo, Nicolas, Julien

Last edited by girlbuffalo1; 05-14-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Are there any dutch names that your wife likes? Hans? Wolfgang? Ingrid? They would be unusual here, but not all that weird. My daughter goes to school with a kid named "Mishka" whose mom is from Russia. I've never heard of another grade-school kid with that name, but it doesn't sound unique for the sake of being unique.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:59 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
My wife and I are expecting a child in August and we are struggling to pick unique baby names for our child. We do not want common names except for Grace, Renee, and Hayden. We have a list of first and middle names for both genders and we would love to hear your opinions/thoughts even negative ones. If you happen to have any suggestions of better names to go with other names listed, please feel free to share.

For a boy...

Rene Laurent
Amsterdam Lloyd
Hayden Lloyd

For a girl....

Haylei Grace
Haylei Genevieve
Emmalin Grace
Uma Renee
Amsterdam, IMHO is absolutely OUT. A friend of mine named his kid Brazil and I thought that was dumb...Amsterdam is now ahead.

As for Rene...he will hate you forever. Rene(e) is a girl's name in America. It's common in France and French-Canada for men, but especially with the Twilight books, Rene will, for generations, be thought of as a girl's name.

Hayley isn't that common of a name so why bother killing it with a weird spelling?

Pick a name you like and don't bother asking strangers for their opinions. Everyone will have a strong opinion about any name you throw out there.

Keep in mind, however, that your wife's desire to have a unique name isn't "unique" anymore. Jennifer is more unique now than Kaitlyn or Hayley. There are more Hunters than there are Michaels in my daughter's school. Unique is the new normal.

I'm starting to think that parents try too hard to make themselves seem cool by giving their kids an odd name instead of thinking about your son walking into a board room saying "Hello. My name is Amsterdam". The weirdest parents and the ones who are absolute white trash have kids with the weirdest names or take a normal name and absolutely butcher it with a weird spelling. My neighbor just named their daughter Jaeydin. As if Jayden isn't odd enough.

Go to an equestrian show or to see the graduation at Harvard. Most of those kids...those whose families don't need to go out of their way to prove how cool they are...they all still name their kids Catherine, Diana, David, etc. They let their kids stand on their own merit and understand that their kids will be judged on a lot in their lifetimes and giving them a disadvantage just by introducing themselves isn't doing them any favors. Amsterdam is going to have to work a lot harder at proving himself than David will.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
For a boy...

Rene Laurent
Amsterdam Lloyd
Hayden Lloyd

For a girl....

Haylei Grace
Haylei Genevieve
Emmalin Grace
Uma Renee

The only name I like is Grace which I would use as a first name. Middle names are only used if the kid hates their first name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy