Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM

12 posts, read 23,159 times

Advertisements

I have at&t cell phone service. How is the service in Prescott. Besides bad, I hope to hear from some un-biased users. I'll be in Prescott for the summer, and hope I'll be able to use it to make phone calls. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM

509 posts, read 1,697,459 times
your AT&T should serve you well in Prescott and surrounding areas.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,418 times
Like most cell services, I think it depends on where you're standing. Between work and personal cell phones I've had AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. The first two were spotty in some areas. Verizon was the most consistent.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenjay View Post
Like most cell services, I think it depends on where you're standing. Between work and personal cell phones I've had AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. The first two were spotty in some areas. Verizon was the most consistent.
We have found Verizon to work well in Prescott, but, out in the county, their coverage maps are so optimistic as to be criminally fraudulent.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 AM

43 posts, read 117,191 times
We live in North Idaho and have TracFones. Does anyone know if there is service in Prescott for this service? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
cdajane~

I have had pay-per-use phone like that as we just don't need a cell phone and it's more or less or emergencies and while traveling in the car.
TracFones can be spotty here. They are OK but the service is not totally reliable as they don't have many contract towers. Net 10 was also iffy in some areas here. Neither would work well where I like to fish at a city park here. I like to have it on while I am there is case the wife needs me as we only have the one car.
I switched to Verizon as even their limited use phones the same network towers as their regular services do.
It costs the same, or very close, and I have had no problems anywhere in this area with Verizon.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 117,191 times
Ken, I thank you. I was afraid of that..we've found that to be the case in other areas we have traveled. Good to be fore-warned. I will be in touch soon. Jane

Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
For the most part while you visit here you will find that it should work OK for you. But if you get out into our mountains or in the fringe areas you could have a problem.
That is the problem I found with all providers that do not own their own towers like the $.10 per minute plans. Verizon was the only one in AZ that I found that used the same network for their low cost phone services as the premium users.
Just for information, my wife used to work for the Forest Service, she is now retired.
About 6 years ago they were getting ready to write a major contract to provide phones and service for Forest Service employees in AZ. Their needs can get pretty demanding as they are up and down in the mountains all the time.
They invited any and all companies to supply service and phones for testing and several major companies did just that.
At that time, Verizon came out on top by far. Just the facts.
No radio type service is perfect and they all depend on line of sight to the towers but in this case at that time Verizon was the best and got the contract.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Yeah, despite their shortcomings, I stay with Verizon. They are the best of a bad lot.

What's the Erasmus saying?.......In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
I had Sprint when I first moved to Chino Valley, it kept cutting me off. I got Verizon and found it to be excellent service but I had the most inexpensive plan and it was costing me $55 a month and I felt I did not use it enough to pay that kind of money. I bought a Virgin Mobile Android phone, I have access to the internet and email and so far so good. It is pay as you go. It costs $44 a month. I am not a phone person, I don't text, I just use my phone when need be. I am satisfied with Virgin Mobile, and those I talk to are satisfied with it as well. Last night, I was in the country, and my phone worked excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott