Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times

Advertisements

Most people would not know this but did you know that the WORLD RECORD for highest indoor radon level ever recorded in the world was right here in Prescott!

The AZGS (Arizona Geological Survey) released a study stating that very high levels or uranium are present in the areas in and around the Granite Dells & Groom Creek. Uranium is radioactive and decomposing uranium turns into Radon Gas. This gas will make its way into homes and will eventually cause lung cancer to its inhabitants. Those with asthma or other respiratory disorders will suffer ill effects from radon gas much greater than those who have healthier lungs.

The 5 square miles of Dells Granite contains up to 40ppm uranium. In one study, they tested 51 homes built on Granite Dells and they were tested for radon. One such home had a test canister placed inside and the box yielded a radon level of 11,000 pCi/1, a world record for indoor radon levels. Such high levels of radon would cause the person and their clothing to set off radiation alarms at the airport. They would receive more than 100 times the maximum radon-related radiation exposure considered acceptable for underground uranium miners!

Over 60% of the tested homes in Granite Dells had indoor radon levels above the EPA's limits of greater than 4 pCi/1. That is equivalent to getting 200 chest x-rays per year. Also, the AZGS found domestic water from wells in the Dells Granite contain very high radon concentrations.

My question is if anyone here on the forum lives in the Granite Dells area or the Groom Creek area of Prescott. If so, have you tested for Radon?

How about other areas in Prescott, have you tested for Radon Gas in your home?

Also, do Realtors DISCLOSE the radon issue in Granite Dells, Groom Creek or other areas of Prescott when they are showing homes & property?

Last edited by DellNec; 08-22-2011 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
1. Other parts of the US also have radon problems and yes, 11000 is way high.

2. > This gas... will eventually cause lung cancer to its inhabitants
More accurately...this gas MAY cause lung cancer. Depends on how old you are, how long you live there, etc...

3. Radon can be mitigated. Those with the problem should look for a reputable contractor.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 22,970 times
I wouldn't worry about it. People have proven they can live in Chernobyl, most likely elderly, heavy smokers. I don't know how much radon has is there, but there is certainly a rather high amount of cesium in the plants, and ostensibly a somewhat high amount of iodine gas being released from under the sarcophagus of reactor number 4.

Maybe all the radon gas like that will just kill off the bacteria and mold (haha). Scientists still do not know for sure all of the ill, and sometimes good effects of radiation. I say just have a good time living in Prescott.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM

509 posts, read 1,697,459 times
could you please provide a source for the claim ? also what people don't realize that the rocks in Granite Dell hide a lot of snakes . one time my friend and i decided to climb some of the rocks . wasn't long before we encountered more snakes than we cared for . so, if the radon is true there are teo things to be aware of .

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Would this be the "study" published in 1992? Here's a link to it --> http://www.azgs.az.gov/HomeOwners-OC...sinarizona.pdf Page 14 briefly discusses the Granite Dells. I'm really not sure why you dig up these esoteric documents and announce the results with such urgency... It appears there are ample ways to mitigate the hazards, soooo...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,914,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Also, do Realtors DISCLOSE the radon issue in Granite Dells, Groom Creek or other areas of Prescott when they are showing homes & property?[/i]
Radon is just one of a number of disclosure items. By law, REALTORs are required to disclose any known material defects. Unless a specific radon test is done at a specific property, a REALTOR cannot possible know if radon levels are elevated for that property. That said, of course a good REALTOR would inform a client if an area is prone to high levels of radon. They are not required to inform the client, but it's good business to do so. Nevertheless, every REALTOR cannot possibly know every potential concern in every area for every client. There is a Buyer Advisory document that should be given to every client. That document lists a large number of potential concerns and where buyers can go to find information about those concerns. Ultimately, the buyer needs to decide whether or not to conduct a radon test and whether or not radon is a concern. Believe or not, some buyers do not always care about every potential concern.

Regarding radon, it is heavier than air. Radon is less of a problem in AZ as compared to other states, because homes in AZ typically do not have basements. In other parts of the country, radon collects in the basement. Oftentimes homes in areas with radon and basements have airflow systems to remove the heavier radon.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
In fact this does seem to be very old news, and excessively alarmist at that. This is a quote from the report referenced by one of the posters:

"One house built on the Dells Granite
that was above a 240-foot-deep water well
had extremely high radon levels. The well
casing (a 6-inch-diameter pipe) extended
upward through the floor of the house,
turned 90°, and exited through a wall to
the outside. A box was placed over the
well casing where it extended upward
through the floor. A I-inch gap between
the casing and the floor allowed radon
from outside the well casing to enter the
box inside the home. A charcoal canister
placed inside the box yielded a radon level
of 11,000 pCi/1 (a world record for indoorradon
levels!). Sealing the gap between
the well casing and floor and venting the
subfloor space to the outside with a 1.25inch
pipe reduced indoor-radon levels to
less than 5 pCi/1 (Kearfott, 1989).[SIZE=2]" Days[/SIZE]

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Trying to be constructive, here..........Is there a map that shows the radon areas?

My house has a well-ventilated crawl space with lots of adjustable louvers. I do not close them in winter. Some folks do, and I wonder about radon buildup.

Last edited by wretched wrench; 08-22-2011 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Radon in Arizona

State Radon Contacts: Arizona | Radon | US EPA

EPA Map of Radon Zones | Radon | US EPA

Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,224 times
I had an acquaintance looking at homes in the Granite Dells area. He spoke to two different Realtors and both of them assured him that there is NO radon gas threat in that area. While it can be argued that the Realtor did not know about the issue but both he & I find that is probably not the case. Funny how some Realtors will spend days researching pricing and home data but will not spend 5 minutes researching hazards in the area they are trying to sell a home.

The reality is that it has been well documented that a 5 square mile area of Granite Dells has high amounts of radon gas. These studies go back to 1992. While not "new" hot off the press news, it is still very relevant, as the radon gas is still there and it is still in high amounts.

Poor indoor air quality can affect health adversely - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

My hope is that people educate themselves and test their homes for radon gas. Knowledge is power and in this case it could be life saving. Regarding my acquaintance looking for a home, suffice it to say he chose NOT to buy in Granite Dells after he was made aware of the radon issue. Especially since he had a daughter that had asthma and radon gas aggravates asthma sufferers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott