Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 26,362 times

Advertisements

Appreciated people's input on my query about American Ranch is another thread, thought I'd post in a fresh thread for feedback on Forest Trails. Have looked over their HOA website. Anything of note you'd add about lot characteristics or quirks, and building/living in this area?

Some background: We're looking (from Tennessee) for a lot to buy now, but likely not doing our build until the next ~5+ years out. Planning for ~2000sqft one story home for vacation then retirement full time. We are somewhat homebodies (when not traveling) and a favorite activity is hiking with our dogs. Thus we don't tend to need very broad or elaborate HOA amenities, but do appreciate that established subdivisions/basic HOAs can provide an ease of community/utility access/road maintenance, etc. Adjacent forest land and not feeling smushed right into our neighbors house is a priority. We do also like the looks of Forest Trails location being not too far from things in town. We will also likely zip up and down between the Phoenix area fairly often-- the airport, and that our most adorable (right now a baby) grandson and his parents are currently building their own dream home, in Goodyear (understand that's not super close to Prescott, but will be a lot closer than Tennessee, and I'm determined to have a bit less humidity and four seasons in my future!)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Hope all here are having a decent Monday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,827 times
I cant speak to the community of Forest Trails, but I can address the issue of building/remodeling a house in this area. You will find a large majority of the Contractors in this area to be sub-par......not only poor quality work, but lack of knowledge on current codes and new building trends. Follow that up with lousy customer service and attitude and it can be a nightmare.

Just factor this into your plans if you are going to build a home. The few good contractors are booked out, in some cases, for a year or more. That leaves the other 90%, who are next to horrible.

This is based not only on my experience (and my background as a high-end builder) but also the stories from many, many others that have moved here recently.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,915,824 times
We live in Forest Trails and love it here. We are familiar with all of the areas in Dewey, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley, and Prescott. We could have moved anywhere in or near any of the cities. We chose Forest Trails because:

* The homes are lovely and well maintained.
* The access to trails is amazing. (We live less than a quarter mile from an access point into the Prescott National Forest.)
* The lots are large (~1/2 acre).
* There are plenty of trees and native vegetation.
* The HOA is not very expensive ($400/yr) and is very reasonable.
* We are only 10 minutes to the Square.
* The views can be amazing. (We look directly out to Thumb Butte.)
* The roads are privately maintained and plowed very quickly when it snows.

In the past several years, very few homes have come up for sale in Forest Trails. We watched and waited for a year before a suitable house in Forest Trails came on the market. (We wanted a single-story house with an amazing view.)

Here is the website for the subdivision: https://www.foresttrailshoa.com/

We considered buying a lot and building, but the builders are swamped right now and build prices are through the roof. Buying a lot and waiting to build on it is a good idea if you are not in a hurry to move.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:08 PM

558 posts, read 970,903 times
On our second trip to Prescott back in 2001 we rented a home in Forest Trails. It was built on rocks on a small lot not far from Iron Springs Road. This crazy house had about 10 different levels inside.

We have visited friends at their nice big homes on larger lots at the other end of the neighborhood near Thumb Butte. Great views.

Personally, we didn't consider Forest Trails because there are no amenities nearby. You have to drive at least a couple miles to get to any store or restaurant. I'm sure that's not a problem for many.

We currently live 1 mile east of downtown, walking distance to Yavapai College and downtown, and an easy drive to anything in Prescott and Prescott Valley. And we still have trails. ;-)

Old 02-25-2021, 08:18 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
We live in Forest Trails and love it here. We are familiar with all of the areas in Dewey, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley, and Prescott. We could have moved anywhere in or near any of the cities. We chose Forest Trails because:

* The homes are lovely and well maintained.
* The access to trails is amazing. (We live less than a quarter mile from an access point into the Prescott National Forest.)
* The lots are large (~1/2 acre).
* There are plenty of trees and native vegetation.
* The HOA is not very expensive ($400/yr) and is very reasonable.
* We are only 10 minutes to the Square.
* The views can be amazing. (We look directly out to Thumb Butte.)
* The roads are privately maintained and plowed very quickly when it snows.

In the past several years, very few homes have come up for sale in Forest Trails. We watched and waited for a year before a suitable house in Forest Trails came on the market. (We wanted a single-story house with an amazing view.)

Here is the website for the subdivision: https://www.foresttrailshoa.com/

We considered buying a lot and building, but the builders are swamped right now and build prices are through the roof. Buying a lot and waiting to build on it is a good idea if you are not in a hurry to move.
That looks nice!

Even though we bought in Prescott a couple years ago (and I like the place just fine), my wife still has "new build" stars in her eyes.

She was fixated on this lot which was for sale until recently.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8204631#/login

Almost 300K just for a lot was too much for me though.

I'll watch the Forest Trails lots to see what come up.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
On our second trip to Prescott back in 2001 we rented a home in Forest Trails. It was built on rocks on a small lot not far from Iron Springs Road. This crazy house had about 10 different levels inside.

We have visited friends at their nice big homes on larger lots at the other end of the neighborhood near Thumb Butte. Great views.

Personally, we didn't consider Forest Trails because there are no amenities nearby. You have to drive at least a couple miles to get to any store or restaurant. I'm sure that's not a problem for many.

We currently live 1 mile east of downtown, walking distance to Yavapai College and downtown, and an easy drive to anything in Prescott and Prescott Valley. And we still have trails. ;-)
Prescott has little available for what I personally call "walkable".

Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
That looks nice!

Even though we bought in Prescott a couple years ago (and I like the place just fine), my wife still has "new build" stars in her eyes.

She was fixated on this lot which was for sale until recently.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8204631#/login

Almost 300K just for a lot was too much for me though.

I'll watch the Forest Trails lots to see what come up.
That lot is off of Gurley, nowhere near Forest Trails. And, yes, it is probably not worth $300K.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
That lot is off of Gurley, nowhere near Forest Trails. And, yes, it is probably not worth $300K.
I know that isnt Forest Trails. My wife is intrigued with Gurley Street, I am not.

I like our 1 acre, non HOA, private lot further north. Only 1 neighbor within shouting distance.

Mamma is still looking around. I'll see how it all pans out. Big plots with separation, I can be interested also.

Is their any weird fencing restrictions in Forest Trails, like Yavapai Hills? ( we are dog people)

Old 02-25-2021, 04:34 PM

479 posts, read 801,481 times
There's a lot for sale in FT right now for $169K I believe. It's listed at over $900K but that includes a ”to be built” house that you aren't required to do.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post

Is their any weird fencing restrictions in Forest Trails, like Yavapai Hills? ( we are dog people)
You can have some partial backyard fencing for pets, but you cannot perimeter fence the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott