Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 34,765 times

Advertisements

I moved my family away from Peoria, AZ last year to get out of the big urban sprawl and landed in the country in Alabama. We have loved rural life but it turns out we really miss the Southwest topography as my family are avid hikers/outdoorsies. Before we hop back in the Uhaul and try Prescott out I have a few questions. These questions are geared with a view to _stay_ there, so we want to buy some land (5-10 acres) and build on it as our funds permit. In the meantime we'll be content renting and getting involved.
I work at home as a software developer so job considerations aren't a big issue for me. Also we homeschool so schools aren't an issue.

1. We are a family that _does_ things...folks were pretty isolated in Peoria (as in...never got out!)....are there any young families here that can chime in on your general community vibe you perceive? Do you find families doing things with each other?

2. We'd like to own land somewhere in surrounding areas...are water rights/availability a big problem in the area? I have read some problems with water contamination in Chino Valley I think, but it'd be great to hear any experiences from land owners that had to get their well going somewhere in the area.

3. We'd like to eventually have some critters; probably just goats, chickens, horses, etc (no cows). Is hay prohibitively expensive in the area? Water plays into this, too, so anyone with experience getting going with animals in the area would really help.

4. I had never considered Prescott seriously because of its emphasis on retiree living (no offense, please) and tourism. Do you know of any effort to attract industry of any sort there (like technology, academia, etc) that can make Prescott a long-term place to stay? We love the Trader Joes and other businesses there for mid-sized city but I am concerned Prescott might wither without attracting some workforce.

If I am overlooking something about Prescott or misspeak please correct me! TIA - Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM

Hm...I seem to have asked some things that were unanswerable so plz allow me to generalize a bit. Has anyone here bought land somewhere in the vicinity and built on it? If so can you share experience with getting water to the property (difficulties, etc).

Does anyone here have chickens, goats, horses and can share experience getting food, etc (are prices getting out of control, etc) ?

Finally are there any homeschooling folks here that can point to a kind of co-op group?

We will likely vacation out in Prescott for a few months this summer but I'm trying to discover whether we can plant roots there.

thanks
mike

Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
Hi Mike,
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but the housing development that I live in is surrounded by people who raise horses, cattle, sheep, goats, chickens for eggs.
Paulden and Chino Valley are two areas that have acreage and are affordable compared to Prescott and you can grow veggies and raise farm animals.

Once you spend a few months here in the area, you will become acquainted with the area and find the answers to your questions.
It is a great area to raise kids.

Water is a issue in all areas of the Tri-City and a good realtor will inform you what areas to watch out for.

I think you have made a wise choice to at least consider moving into this area.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:50 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,919,228 times
As far as water is concerned, you will need to have a well drilled. You can contact well drillers to get estimates on costs once you decide where you want to buy land. Your agent can pull the well records for surrounding wells to see how deep the water is and how much recharge they are getting.

Check Olsen's Grain for pricing of animal feed.

-Brian

Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,539,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1970 View Post
Hm..Has anyone here bought land somewhere in the vicinity and built on it?
Yes.

Quote:
If so can you share experience with getting water to the property (difficulties, etc).
Ray Stephenson was recommended by a number of neighbors and my RE agent. He had a good price and did a great job. He works single-handedly and is a joy to watch. He makes it seem effortless.

I have recommended him to several others, and confirmed other recs, and everybody is happy.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all the input and the references folks! I'll follow up with Ray when we get out there. I just googled his name and I think found his info.

When I lived out there I never went up to the Chino Valley/ Paulden area. Is it mostly low scrub up thataways? The pics I have found online seem to be more open prairie-like. IIRC Cottonwood is pretty grassy (Arizona lush but I am not sure what the vitality of that area is like.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:04 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,539,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols1970 View Post
Thanks for all the input and the references folks! I'll follow up with Ray when we get out there. I just googled his name and I think found his info.

When I lived out there I never went up to the Chino Valley/ Paulden area. Is it mostly low scrub up thataways?
Chino is flat, and the houses and neighborhoods are all over the map. Literally and figuratively. I like the NW corner, but nice areas are scattered all over, it seems.

If you visit Paulden, bring your own water.

Quote:
IIRC Cottonwood is pretty grassy (Arizona lush but I am not sure what the vitality of that area is like.
Drive there, walk around, drop into cafes and coffee shops, etc, and you will get a feel for the town. Stay after dark and get a feel for it at night, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott