Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

Final week of regular season play. All 16 games are on Sunday, 01 Jan 2012.

Several things are still undecided relative to playoff seeds, first round byes and who wins two of the division races (AFC West and NFC East).

There are no major college bowl games scheduled Sunday, 01 Jan 2012.

I'm rooting for the Denver Bronco's to win the AFC West and for the NY Giants to win the NFC East.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I'm hoping Packers come out of the Lions game injury free, might be time for McCarthy to rest players.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I'm hoping Packers come out of the Lions game injury free, might be time for McCarthy to rest players.
Neither team has any seed positioning to jock for, so whatever motivation to win should come from the fact they are division rivals. I would expect them (especially the Packers because of the coming bye) both to play their starters in the first half and switch to second and third string for the second half.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 AM

I heard Lions could change seed position depending on a win or loss plus some other things happening.

They are in the playoffs but the seed can change. I'd like them to stay #6 so they play the Saints!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
I agree that the Pack/Lions game is now meaningless for the Pack----they should rest a lot of the regulars and go into the playoffs healthy.

McCarthy and Capers now have two weeks to figure out how to bring the defense out of their coma. That was a very poor performance last night defensively----440 yards to a team led by a qb who hasnt played for three yearss??? They have got to figure out how to get a pass rush----they gave McCown too much time to throw last night----this is frustrating.

With a couple weeks of rest it looks like the Pack can get back Jennings, Buluga and Clifton---this will help the run game.

Pack fans----lets hope they can come with a plan to improve the defense----if they have to face New Orleans again---yikes.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:44 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I heard Lions could change seed position depending on a win or loss plus some other things happening.

They are in the playoffs but the seed can change. I'd like them to stay #6 so they play the Saints!
I stand corrected, the Lions can get the #5 seed with a win over the Packers, but I believe the Falcons own the tiebreaker if their records are even after next week. Lions play in the morning and Falcons play in the afternoon. I think the Lions would prefer to start the postseason playing the #4 seed.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM

417 posts, read 365,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I agree that the Pack/Lions game is now meaningless for the Pack----they should rest a lot of the regulars and go into the playoffs healthy.

McCarthy and Capers now have two weeks to figure out how to bring the defense out of their coma. That was a very poor performance last night defensively----440 yards to a team led by a qb who hasnt played for three yearss??? They have got to figure out how to get a pass rush----they gave McCown too much time to throw last night----this is frustrating.

With a couple weeks of rest it looks like the Pack can get back Jennings, Buluga and Clifton---this will help the run game.

Pack fans----lets hope they can come with a plan to improve the defense----if they have to face New Orleans again---yikes.
New Orleans defense has been pretty spotty as well. Funny how some of the top teams currently in the NFL like the Packers, Saints, Patriots etc also have some of the weakest defenses. Just goes to show the NFL is moving towards a pass happy, offensive based teams. These might be some of the highest scoring playoffs in history.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
The tiebreaker situation in the AFC is crazy! Let me put like this, my Titans best chance of getting in would be to have a 3 way tie as opposed to a 2 way tie. The tiebreaker rules are different between those two scenarios, but here goes the teams that can get the last wildcard:

OAKLAND RAIDERS

Oakland clinches AFC West Division:

1) OAK win + DEN loss or tie

2) OAK tie + DEN loss

Oakland clinches a wild-card spot:

1) OAK win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie

2) OAK win + CIN loss + NYJ win

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Cincinnati clinches a wild-card spot:

1) CIN win or tie

2) NYJ loss or tie + OAK loss or tie

3) NYJ loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

NEW YORK JETS

NY Jets clinch a wild-card spot:

1) NYJ win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie + OAK loss or tie

2) NYJ win + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

TENNESSEE TITANS

Tennessee clinches a wild-card spot:

1) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ win + OAK loss or tie

2) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ win + DEN loss or tie

3) TEN win + CIN loss + NYJ loss or tie + OAK win + DEN win

Schedule: San Diego at Oakland, Baltimore at Cincinnati, NY Jets at Miami, Tennessee at Houston

Old 12-27-2011, 05:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Wouldn't that be awesome if the Steelers, Bengals and Bills all won?

Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Wow, way too complicated for me! Glad the NFC is more cut and dried!

Thinking about the defenses on the high power offense teams this year, makes me think of last year.

Packers "D" had to come through in many games, fans were complaining about McCarthy getting too conservative, not keeping his foot on the gas, 6 losses by 4 or 3 points.

This year, too much offense, people complaining, where is the defense??? A combination of the two would be great, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football