Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM

86 posts, read 123,699 times

Advertisements

Tebows supporters make it sound as if he's faced hard obstacles his whole life and has had a miraculous rise to the top.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th Round and no college wanted him . Michigan gave him a chance and he was 8th on the Qb depth charts. He had to fight and claw and never knew if hed start from week to week.

Aaron rogers was shunned by colleges and had to scrap his way up through the Community College ranks. Then he had to be treated like crap by Favre for years.

Nobody wanted Drew brees except Purdue. He is far smaller than Tebow.

All of these men have endured more and are more accomplished than Tebow..who was treated like the second coming and HEAVILY recruited. Everybody wanted him. All three men above have far more compelling and intriguing stories than Tebow. Theyve accomplished more than Tim and have had to overcome more than him.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Tebows supporters make it sound as if he's faced hard obstacles his whole life and has had a miraculous rise to the top.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th Round and no college wanted him . Michigan gave him a chance and he was 8th on the Qb depth charts. He had to fight and claw and never knew if hed start from week to week.

Aaron rogers was shunned by colleges and had to scrap his way up through the Community College ranks. Then he had to be treated like crap by Favre for years.

All of these men have endured more and are more accomplished than Tebow..who was treated like the second coming and HEAVILY recruited. Everybody wanted him. All three men above have far more compelling and intriguing stories than Tebow. Theyve accomplished more than Tim and have had to overcome more than him.
While I am in NO WAY, SHAPE, or FORM a Tebow supporter, your facts are a little off there.

#1 - Tom Brady was a back-up for his first two years at Michigan but he later went on to earn the starting job and STARTED EVERY SINGLE GAME in the 1998 and 1999 seasons.
#2 - Aaron Rodgers started in the "community college ranks" but then later transferred to Cal where he became the starter for his sophomore through senior years.
#3 - While he may be far smaller than Tim, Brees played in 7 games for Purdue his freshman year then later moved on to become the starter his sophomore year.

While I agree that Tebow is reciving undue hype it's not like the quarterbacks you named were third string QB's all through college as your OP suggests.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
The 3 quarterbacks you named "endured" nothing. Tebow is hyped because he's one of the best athletes in the history of NCAA football.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post

I do think Tebow has WAY too much hype around him. He has a great story and very solid character but he gets too much NFL hype for not having done anything in the league. I think he will not do much as a QB in the NFL.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I do think Tebow has WAY too much hype around him. He has a great story and very solid character but he gets too much NFL hype for not having done anything in the league. I think he will not do much as a QB in the NFL.
Bronco fan who has followed this bunch for almost a half century weighing in here! Yep, I'm ancient!

How Tebow will ultimately be judged in the NFL is going to be decided by the basics.

He has a slow throwing motion. He needs to focus on the secondary receivers. The timing patterns are still off. Throwing on the run is still 50/50 but he is getting better. He needs to be reminded about improving as a pocket passer. He has "happy feet" as in most cases that gets a qb in trouble with defensive pressure bearing down on him. In this case the happy feet is playing a part in his decision making because in no time he'll bug out of that pocket and make the first down by himself. That's the competitor in him. Ball handling is getting better, has a little ways to go.

There's another thing he needs to remember and it is OH so important regarding QB 101. Once you are set up in that pocket you keep both hands on that ball. Both hands! No to carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. Fortunately he's been stripped of the ball only once.

Keep in mind he's a rookie who just started in his first game. The times he played last year for the most part were wildcat situations; he did get more playing time near the end of the season. What hurt him (like a lot of players) was the labor situation during training camp.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Maybe if he learns to complete passes he may actually deserve the hype he is getting. Scrambling QB's are the new hype, but they also need to complete more than 13 out of 27 passes.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Did you really need to make two threads about this.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Did you really need to make two threads about this.
The OP seems to be infatuated with hating Tebow. It is just a game. Let it go.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Not sure how anyone can see he's hyped. He's publicized due to his great college career and unorthodox style, but most are sure he's going to fail big time and saying things like he should be a fullback or H-back. I don't think he'll ever be elite, but not many are. He'll probably be about average for a starter. Worst case, he'll make a fine backup QB.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
It's still very early in his career but at first glance I do agree that he is WAY overhyped. I do think that he can get better but I don't see him being better than a slightly above average guy, like Cutler. I don't ever forsee ELITE in his future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football