Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,683 times

Advertisements

If you have never heard of a Suicide Pool, it is an easy game to play.
You pick one team per week. If that team wins, without a point spread, you advance. It that team loses, you're out - one and done.
For example, if you pick Washington to defeat Philadelphia in Week 1, and they win you advance to the next round. It doesn't matter if Washington wins by 1 point or by 41 points, although winning by 41 points is alot easier on your nerves. If, somehow, Washington loses, then you're out.
The only catch is that you will never again be allowed to pick Washington for the rest of the year.
If you pick Baltimore to win in Week 2, and they win, you will never again be able to pick Baltimore - and so on and so on - if, or until, you are eliminated.

Last year I played 2 games.
I played a game sponsored by a Philadelphia sports talk radio station. Their prize was a very expensive ring and a year's supply of soup. I can give you their website but they only want local people to play because they want to give the ring to the winner in person - so I don't know if they will accept you or not - but you can try.
The other game was with the Des Moines Register. Just go to their site. They have a combined "u-pick-em" game - pick the week's games without the spread plus a suicide game. Each winner got a $1500 gift card from a national store, which I can't remember right now.

I would like to join a few other FREE games this year - I'm cheap. If you know of any games sponsored by your local sports media outlet, newspaper, or whatever, just let me know.

It will be about 2 weeks or so before people will be allowed to register for these games - so there is no hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
When you played the pool in the past - how long did the winner last?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Both places had so many people play that the winner went the whole way. I have no clue how they did that. What usually happens is that about HALF of the people are gone after the first week. Favorites often do poorly in the first week.
I lasted until about Week 6 or so. That's why I'm hoping to play more games this year so that I can HOPEFULLY last longer in at least one of them.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:45 PM

11,257 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Many suicide pools toss out the first and last weeks of the season. These pools are generally difficult because any team can win on any given week in the NFL. The best way to play these is to find a pool that has a small buy in ($10-20) and has a lot of players (100+). All it takes is one nasty upset sometimes, and 25% of the players can be eliminated in one shot.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM

Ditchlights - I was in the Philly pool 2 years ago. I, along with TWO-THIRDS of the remaining players, were eliminated on one game - The Giants, favored by about 2 TD's, decided to take the week off against San Diego.

The 2 pools that I mentioned don't toss any weeks out although the Philly pool had a second chance pool, which still didn't do me any good - and I don't want to pay a dime to play.
The Philly pool had over 30,000 players and the Des Moines pool had well over 100,000 last year but it is a national pool.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM

675 posts, read 1,415,027 times
You get enough players and the odds favor people surviving the whole way.

We had just shy of 1800 entries in our survivor pool last year (Zathras & Wubba's King of the Hill) and we ended up with I think 9 that went the entire way thru the superbowl.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
You get enough players and the odds favor people surviving the whole way.

We had just shy of 1800 entries in our survivor pool last year (Zathras & Wubba's King of the Hill) and we ended up with I think 9 that went the entire way thru the superbowl.
Is this game free or do you have to pay to play?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Here is the Week 1 Schedule

Baltimore @ Denver - Thurs.

New England @ Buffalo - Sun
Tennessee @ Pittsburgh
Atlanta @ New Orleans
Tampa Bay @ New York Jets
Kansas City @ Jacksonville
Seattle @ Carolina
Cincinnati @ Chicago
Miami @ Cleveland
Minnesota @ Detroit
Oakland @ Indianapolis
Green Bay @ San Francisco
Arizona @ St. Louis
New York Giants @ Dallas

Philadelphia @ Washington - Mon
Houston @ San Diego

You only need to pick one team to win. Which one would you select?
Indianapolis over Oakland looks good.
MAYBE - Tampa Bay over the Jets.
MAYBE - St. Louis over Arizona.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM

11,257 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Buffalo over New England

The reasoning: While chances are remote, that upset occurring will eliminate roughly one-third or more of all the players involved in the pool in Week 1. Worst case scenario, you put little effort in and no $$$ in to lose, so who really cares, right?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Buffalo/New England jumped off the page at me as one I would not touch.

I think Colts over Raiders is a safe play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football