Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Hey DOUBLEH, if you are going to mention lopsided Broncos losses, you might want to mention this one.

Heh heh, I had a VHS tape of that one once upon a time! I'm a glutton for punishment!

Yep, second week of the season I believe. IIRC Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons, and Reggie spent most of the afternoon dealing Elway one kerpowee after another after another and after another! UGH! The Eagles had a damn good club that year, IIRC they were a wild card playoff club that year.

Yep, looked at those stats-30 yards net passing for the Broncos sounds about right.Looking at the stats it has the Eagles with 4 sacks. Seemed like it was a lot more! It was butt ugly early and actually that game kicked the Elway/Reeves feud into high gear. Stories had been simmering in both Denver dailies about how Mike Shanahan REALLY got fired as quarterbacks coach instead of the clubs stance on the reason behind it.

During the previous off season Elway asked for help in the upcoming draft regarding drafting some O-linemen and wide receivers. What did Reeves do? Draft Tommy Maddox out of UCLA instead and the rumors were flying about Reeves talking to Washington about a deal for Elway. It was at that time that owner Pat Bowlen figured out what type of working relationship he had between Reeves, Shanahan,and Elway. It came down to either/or. And Reeves contract wasn't renewed as he was on the last year of a 4 year contract. Exit Reeves.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-02-2014 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
While undoubtedly bad, that game may have seemed like a barn burner compared to the Browns at Bills match-up I witnessed in 2009.

Cleveland Browns vs. Buffalo Bills - Box Score - October 11, 2009 - ESPN

Derrick Anderson lead the Browns to a 6-3 victory over the Bills while completing 2 of 18 pass attempts for 23 yards. Trent Edwards went 16 of 31 for 152 yards. Both QBs threw a pick. With the exception of a big end around by Cribbs and a long scramble by Edwards both teams had below average rushing games.

This game was so bad, Bills fans actually joined together in Buffalo and across the nation, and raised enough money to put up a Fire Dick Jauron billboard the following week.

Edit: When I clicked on the OPs link for the 10 worst of the decade I figured that game had to be there, sure enough, #2.
I was thinking this game as soon as I read the thread title. I remembered the score was 6-3 but not the teams. Now I know...yay!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
It should be noted the Bengals beat the Chargers 40-17 in San Diego that year in the regular season, so it definitely wasn't a given the Chargers would have won the AFC Championship Game that year regardless of the conditions.

Interestingly, the Freezer Bowl occurred on the same day as "The Catch". (The 1981 season was the first year I followed the NFL.)
I conveniently have no memory of that! We were so high after the Miami game nothing could stop us. Hey I was 21 and husband 23 let the young couple have their dreams.

1981 was an awesome year for football. I remember the Catch!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,071 times
Worst Game Ever? I am hoping it will NOT be this Sunday...Chargers vs. Bengals.

Please not another "Freezer Bowl", it has been sunny and 75 in San Diego for two weeks. Wish they were playing here.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
January 4 1985
Los Angeles Rams at Dallas Cowboys

A freak ice storm came through, and if anyone thinks Texas does not get cold, well, it does. And when it does, all life stops, which it already does when the Cowboys are in the playoffs.
The old Texas Stadium, with the sub freezing wind chill blowing through it, was so cold that the PA system and parts of the scoreboard shorted out.
There was no running water in the restroom sinks due to the cold.
And no place to get warm.
And not knowing as I do now how to dress for this weather, I could no longer feel my feet by halftime.

The Cowboys played one of their worst games ever, to match the weather. Shut out by the LA Rams.

And of course Cowboy fans, fair weather that they are on a stormy day, did not react well to the cold playing that matched Tom Landry's cold stare.

Worst NFL experience ever.

Worst than the time that I went to see the Cardinals play the 49ers in the old Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. I had a ticket in the cheap seats, and somehow, they managed to get this 400 pound walking cow of a person up the aisle , and of course, she turns and comes right down my row. Now the seats were not individual stadium seats, they were long benches, with aluminum seats and backs so when she plopped down, the entire row vibrated, like an earthquake. My seats literally went Bongybongybongy and I was surprised the whole thing did not collapse under her weight. Of course she's over there hyperventilating at the walk up into the higher elevation and probably looking around for her next meal, wondering if she dropped her twinkies on the way up. I left and went to another seat, which was easy to do as the Pesky red Birds did not sell out back then.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
yeah ... that was the nice thing about Cardinal games at SDS - if you didn't like where you were seated just move ..... a pretty awful NFL venue though with metal bleachers baking in the sun, horrible concessions, bathrooms, small crowds, etc ........ could still be fun though as it was cheap to get in

I think the worst game I watched was a 9-6 Seahawks victory in Cleveland ... this was my first Seahawks game in person ... sure it had some hallmarks of a good game - the seahawks won, ricky watters had a pretty good game, mike holmgren won his 100th game, a 52 yard FG as time expired won it, season opener ......... overall a pretty mediocre game though

Seattle Seahawks vs. Cleveland Browns - Recap - September 09, 2001 - ESPN

It was also the reason why I was still in Cleveland on 9/11/01

Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
I don't 'recall' it because I didn't see it, but for postseason games the 5-0 win by Dallas over Detroit in 1970 must've been less than exciting.

Greg Landry was 5-12 for 48 yards passing - and that was easily the best of the three quarterbacks who played in the game.
Detroit Lions at Dallas Cowboys - December 26th, 1970 - Pro-Football-Reference.com

That I actually saw?

Pittsburgh 3, Miami 0 - played in the mud and scoreless until the field goal with 17 seconds left in the game.
Miami Dolphins vs. Pittsburgh Steelers - Recap - November 26, 2007 - ESPN

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Miami vs Pittsburgh mud bowl... final score 3-0.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
This year the Texans played an ugly one on a Thursday I think...Jaxonville?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
January 4 1985
Los Angeles Rams at Dallas Cowboys

A freak ice storm came through, and if anyone thinks Texas does not get cold, well, it does. And when it does, all life stops, which it already does when the Cowboys are in the playoffs.
The old Texas Stadium, with the sub freezing wind chill blowing through it, was so cold that the PA system and parts of the scoreboard shorted out.
There was no running water in the restroom sinks due to the cold.
And no place to get warm.
And not knowing as I do now how to dress for this weather, I could no longer feel my feet by halftime.

The Cowboys played one of their worst games ever, to match the weather. Shut out by the LA Rams.

And of course Cowboy fans, fair weather that they are on a stormy day, did not react well to the cold playing that matched Tom Landry's cold stare.

Worst NFL experience ever.
I think you have your years and games mixed up; the Cowboys and Rams played each other in the playoffs after the 1983 season (in Irving) and the 1985 season (in Anaheim) but did not play in the 1984 playoffs (the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs in 1984). The Cowboys were not shut out in the 1983 wild-card game (24-17), but were shut out in the 1985 divisional playoff game (20-0).

I think you are referring to the 12/26/83 NFC wild-card game, at least weather-wise, which according to wikipedia indeed feature sub-freezing temperatures. That loss to the Rams (which was a major upset; the Cowboys were 12-4 and the Rams were 9-7 that year) was the Cowboys' third straight loss, after losses to the Redskins (in "The Rematch", one of the most-hyped regular season NFL games in my 33 seasons as an NFL fan) and the 49ers to close out the regular season. Though the 1983 loss was bad for the Cowboys, I don't remember them being dominated in that game. However, I do remember they WERE dominated in that 1985 divisional playoff loss to the Rams. (As a side note, in the four NFC playoff games played in the 1985 postseason, the losing team scored a combined total of 3 points. The Giants beat the 49ers 17-3 in the wild-card game, both the Rams and Bears posted shutouts against the Cowboys and Giants respectively in the divisional round, and the Bears shut out the Rams in the NFC Championship Game.)

Incidentally, that aforementioned Cowboys loss to the Redskins in Week 15 of the 1983 regular season really marked the end of the Cowboys' lengthy run as legitimate Super Bowl contenders during the Tom Landry era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football