Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who gets the last AFC playoff spot?
Baltimore 5 21.74%
San Diego 7 30.43%
Pittsburgh 2 8.70%
Miami 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times

Advertisements

Seattle made the playoffs in 2010 at 7-9 and knocked off the Saints 11-5! Last year they were 11-5 after being 7-9 two years in a row. Division winners are in, that is the structure, happens to teams every year that have 10 or 11 wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:44 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing....sometimes it just works out that way....some teams w/lousy records get in and some don't....one has to remember, some teams w/less than stellar records get hot at the end of the season...(look at the 2000 ravens and the giants from a couple yrs ago when they beat Favre on that -10F below day....)

The NFL places a high premium on winning your division over record...(top 4 seeds are for division winners....) I think that's the way it should be regardless if the division is lousy or not.....

Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Right. And if you play in a tough division, your wins that you have there mean more. Nothing wrong with a 9-7 team if they've actually played somebody.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Right. And if you play in a tough division, your wins that you have there mean more. Nothing wrong with a 9-7 team if they've actually played somebody.
The team that may get screwed is AZ. They can finish 11-5 and not make it in.
They are not in yet, they are #7.

To be the 5th seed:
a. Win vs. the 49ers (I think they will win)
+ 49ers loss to the Falcons (did not happen)
+ either Saints loss to the Buccaneers (major upset since Tampa is a 12.5 point under dog)
or Panthers lose to Falcons (Panthers many reasons to win: be #1 seed, hold on to #2, not fall all the way to #5 or #6 which can happen if they lose)

To be the 6th seed:
a. Win + 49ers win vs. Falcons (that did happen Monday)
+ Saints loss (Ain't going to happen) or win + 49ers loss vs. Falcons (did not happen) + Panthers win (should happen) + Saints win (should happen)

AZ has a very good team and could be left out.

Since I think CN gets revenge for their Baltimore loss, they win and Miami wins, so Miami get the last spot. I'll go vote for Miami.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Out of the 4, I'd rather see Miami.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The team that may get screwed is AZ. They can finish 11-5 and not make it in.
They are not in yet, they are #7.

To be the 5th seed:
a. Win vs. the 49ers (I think they will win)
+ 49ers loss to the Falcons (did not happen)
+ either Saints loss to the Buccaneers (major upset since Tampa is a 12.5 point under dog)
or Panthers lose to Falcons (Panthers many reasons to win: be #1 seed, hold on to #2, not fall all the way to #5 or #6 which can happen if they lose)

To be the 6th seed:
+ Saints loss (Ain't going to happen) or win + 49ers loss vs. Falcons (did not happen) + Panthers win (should happen) + Saints win (should happen)

AZ has a very good team and could be left out.

Since I think CN gets revenge for their Baltimore loss, they win and Miami wins, so Miami get the last spot. I'll go vote for Miami.
So, to simplify what you are saying, In order to get in, Arizona HAS to win, and needs either the Saints OR Carolina to lose....correct?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
they are #7.

To be the 6th seed:
+ Saints loss (Ain't going to happen)
or

b. win + 49ers loss vs. Falcons (did not happen) + Panthers win (should happen) + Saints win (should happen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
So, to simplify what you are saying, In order to get in, Arizona HAS to win, and needs either the Saints OR Carolina to lose....correct?
That requirement was from ESPN. They are currently the 7th seed and out.
They'll gladly take #6 of course and from above, the way I read it, is that they get #6 if a. or b. happens.

b. can not happen since SF won on Monday.
a. can only happen if N.O. loses and AZ wins.

But, N.O. is at home and a 12.5 point favorite so it looks might dim for AZ (a good team who has beaten Seattle, Carolina, and Indy, and they may beat SF too)

The NFL moved the N.O. game to 4:30 so the result would not be over before AZ even went on the field.
They've been the best in the league but 11-5 may not be good enough.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
I watched the end of the Bengals at Baltimore game and the Ravens got lucky like they did against Minnesota ansd Detroit. Baltimore loses this week for sure so Miami is locked in unless they lose.
The Bengals actually threw a hail mary at the end of regulation and got lucky to send the game to OT. On fourth down at the end of regulations, Dalton threw the traditional hail mary. A Ravens player batted the ball up in the air instead of batting it down. A bengal wr was standing off to the side away from the bunch and the ball went right to him.Without that lucky play, the game would have been over without ot.

I voted for Miami, but the chargers could easily sneak in because the chiefs will be resting their starters. It isn't an easy game for either the fins or ravens. My second choice would be the chargers. I can't see the ravens beating cincy.the ravens have been too inconsistent. But then again, so has everyone else fighting for that last spot. Going to be an interesting Sunday.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The Bengals actually threw a hail mary at the end of regulation and got lucky to send the game to OT.
I remember that but the stats from the game tell a story. Baltimore had 85 rushing yards and 104 passing yards. Weak offense who had to rely on 6 field goals to beat Detroit. 189 total yards to beat CN.
CN had 120 rushing and 244 passing. Both teams had 3 turnovers.

Stats don't always win the game but Baltimore had no offense in that game.
They have only won 2 road games all year. CN defense wins the Sunday game.

It may come down to who does CN want to play later on. Their seed may already be decided before the game is over. If they would rather play Miami later on, they need to beat Baltimore.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
OK, Chargers need some serious help this weekend. I think they will beat the Chiefs again but only because the Chiefs will be sitting most of their good players. Both the Ravens and Dolphins need to lose for the Bolts to have a chance. Chiefs have already secured the 5 seed.

Stupid loses to the Redskins, Raiders and Texans have put the Chargers in this position. That being said they did much better than I expected and I think they will build on this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football