Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

With the season more than half gone, I think it is time to check who is on the hot seat and the Diss will give his personal opinion in form of SHOULD a coach get fired and WILL a coach get fired. Get something to drink, here we go.

Cleveland; Hue Jackson; Should he be fired? No, Hue has unarguably the worst and youngest roster in the NFL now and his team has still shown signs of life in limited doses. Will he be fired? No, I think Cleveland won't go 0-16 and I'd like to think while their division foes have had the same coach in each spot since 2008 they have realized a lesson about allowing a few years for a culture to be built in the locker room.

Cincinnati; Marvin Lewis; Should he be fired? Yes, Marvin in 14 years does not have a single playoff victory despite having ample talent and IMO he should have lost his job last year after his players lost their decorum which cost them the playoff victory that eluded them. Will he be fired? Yes, I think their season went down with not only AJ Green but Giovanni Bernard and no playoff appearance will cause a firing that should have happened years ago.

San Francisco: Chip Kelly; Should he be fired? This is one situation where everyone will agree he should not have gotten the job in the first place. His system is just not NFL compatible. He does have a good excuse since the talent situation is just as bad as Cleveland but they have just not been competitive even when compared to Cleveland. Will he be fired? No, this front office ran off a damn good coach in Jim Harbaugh and they have to say face so Chip will get another year.

Chicago; John Fox; Should he be fired? No, he is building a 3-4 defense from scratch which actually is ranked 10th as of this writing. His QB situation has handcuffed him. If Brian Hoyer was healthy, they would have a better record. Will he be fired? No, I think the progress of the defense saves him and Jay Cutler is designated the scapegoat and the Bears get their QB in the offseason.

San Diego; Mike McCoy; Should he be fired? Yes, the 4th quarter collapses are a symptom of a coach who is failing. He does have a very tough division to compete in but they could be better. Will he be fired? Yes, if the Chargers bolt for LA this offseason, they know they need to make a splash to get the LA fanbase invested and Mike McCoy won't cut it.

Indianapolis; Chuck Pagano; Should he be fired? Yes, though I think this should be a combo firing with the person who is more responsible with the Colts middling status, GM Ryan Grigson who has not made a clear priority to protect the franchise QB the other teams (excluding SD) don't have in Andrew Luck. Chuck is a nice guy but he just has no pop factor. Will he be fired? If Indy misses the playoffs because they could not catch up with Houston who isn't exactly running away quickly with the division, it's all over for the dumb duo of Grigson and Pagano.

Los Angeles; Jeff Fisher; Should he be fired? Like San Francisco, we should not even be talking about this because he should not have been the coach of the Rams this year in the first place. Fisher should have been left in STL. He cannot keep his team disciplined as evidenced by several cheap shots and personal fouls over the last two seasons. Will he be fired? Jared Goff saves the day for this coach, who I think should not have had an opportunity to coach Goff in the first place. Keeping consistency is very important for a young QB, the owner will agree with me.

Buffalo; Rex Ryan; Should he be fired? I'm going to go with no, because injuries have derailed a pretty talented Buffalo team. The fact he turned a journeyman LB like Lorenzo Alexander into a 10 sack guy is amazing. A homer thing but I think he made the right choice in Tyrod Taylor as the QB (yes he is from my hometown in Virginia.) Will he be fired? Again, the injuries not withstanding, he has the Bills in okay shape. I think he squeezes a winning record and another year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
With the season more than half gone, I think it is time to check who is on the hot seat and the Diss will give his personal opinion in form of SHOULD a coach get fired and WILL a coach get fired. Get something to drink, here we go.

Cleveland; Hue Jackson; Should he be fired? No, Hue has unarguably the worst and youngest roster in the NFL now and his team has still shown signs of life in limited doses. Will he be fired? No, I think Cleveland won't go 0-16 and I'd like to think while their division foes have had the same coach in each spot since 2008 they have realized a lesson about allowing a few years for a culture to be built in the locker room.

Cincinnati; Marvin Lewis; Should he be fired? Yes, Marvin in 14 years does not have a single playoff victory despite having ample talent and IMO he should have lost his job last year after his players lost their decorum which cost them the playoff victory that eluded them. Will he be fired? Yes, I think their season went down with not only AJ Green but Giovanni Bernard and no playoff appearance will cause a firing that should have happened years ago.

San Francisco: Chip Kelly; Should he be fired? This is one situation where everyone will agree he should not have gotten the job in the first place. His system is just not NFL compatible. He does have a good excuse since the talent situation is just as bad as Cleveland but they have just not been competitive even when compared to Cleveland. Will he be fired? No, this front office ran off a damn good coach in Jim Harbaugh and they have to say face so Chip will get another year.

Chicago; John Fox; Should he be fired? No, he is building a 3-4 defense from scratch which actually is ranked 10th as of this writing. His QB situation has handcuffed him. If Brian Hoyer was healthy, they would have a better record. Will he be fired? No, I think the progress of the defense saves him and Jay Cutler is designated the scapegoat and the Bears get their QB in the offseason.

San Diego; Mike McCoy; Should he be fired? Yes, the 4th quarter collapses are a symptom of a coach who is failing. He does have a very tough division to compete in but they could be better. Will he be fired? Yes, if the Chargers bolt for LA this offseason, they know they need to make a splash to get the LA fanbase invested and Mike McCoy won't cut it.

Indianapolis; Chuck Pagano; Should he be fired? Yes, though I think this should be a combo firing with the person who is more responsible with the Colts middling status, GM Ryan Grigson who has not made a clear priority to protect the franchise QB the other teams (excluding SD) don't have in Andrew Luck. Chuck is a nice guy but he just has no pop factor. Will he be fired? If Indy misses the playoffs because they could not catch up with Houston who isn't exactly running away quickly with the division, it's all over for the dumb duo of Grigson and Pagano.

Los Angeles; Jeff Fisher; Should he be fired? Like San Francisco, we should not even be talking about this because he should not have been the coach of the Rams this year in the first place. Fisher should have been left in STL. He cannot keep his team disciplined as evidenced by several cheap shots and personal fouls over the last two seasons. Will he be fired? Jared Goff saves the day for this coach, who I think should not have had an opportunity to coach Goff in the first place. Keeping consistency is very important for a young QB, the owner will agree with me.

Buffalo; Rex Ryan; Should he be fired? I'm going to go with no, because injuries have derailed a pretty talented Buffalo team. The fact he turned a journeyman LB like Lorenzo Alexander into a 10 sack guy is amazing. A homer thing but I think he made the right choice in Tyrod Taylor as the QB (yes he is from my hometown in Virginia.) Will he be fired? Again, the injuries not withstanding, he has the Bills in okay shape. I think he squeezes a winning record and another year.
Sean Peyton of the Saints and Gus Bradley of the Jaguars are also on the hot seat and Jacksonville right now so bad as a team. They are just undisciplined.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Jacksonville; Gus Bradley; Should he be fired? Yes. He arguably has the most talented roster on this list but the lack of discipline kills this team and can be linked to bad coaching. Will he be fired? Yes, the Jags owner did not open his checkbook to only have two wins to show for it. I think he will be the first guy to get the boot.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Jacksonville; Gus Bradley; Should he be fired? Yes. He arguably has the most talented roster on this list but the lack of discipline kills this team and can be linked to bad coaching. Will he be fired? Yes, the Jags owner did not open his checkbook to only have two wins to show for it. I think he will be the first guy to get the boot.
Think about it, what kills the Jaguars the most are turnovers. Even, Jim Brandstatter, Lions radio analyst, said that. As I said, the Jaguars maybe talented, but they are seriously undisciplined. They just make too many mistakes, especially turning the ball over too many times.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:33 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Mike McCarthy.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lB-ROwpO8

Old 11-23-2016, 08:51 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:

Quote:

Good Lord, it's scary that I agree EXACTLY with what you said on every 'Should'.. I got down to Fischer and was like "Oh, he shouldn't have been there this year" and.. Dead on..

Just to give a smidge of disagreement.. I think that anytime a coach goes 0-16.. he should be fired. And I disagree with you on Cleveland going 0-16.. i think it happens. I don't think it's a certainty.. If they put RG3 back in.. I think they might have a chance against San Diego. Trust me, I don't think RG3 is a great QB.. Until you compare him against the rest of the QBs on their roster.

Now.. on to the 'will he'.. So far as Hue, I agree, even if he does go 0-16.. he won't be fired. This is not his fault. The fire sale before he got there sealed the deal.

Cincy/Lewis.. Will he?.. I'm going to say No.. But he won't survive another year past this without a playoff win.

San Fran/Chip Kelly.. No.. He'll stay. For some dumb reason. They need to ditch Kaepernick as he is RG3-lite.. Started out great, but once teams figured him out.. He's done.

Chicago/Fox - I think he does get fired. Chicago is going nowhere until they get a QB and.. There's alot of pieces missing. I agree, not Fox's fault, but.. Performance, performance, performance.

SD/McCoy - I'm surprised he's made it this far. I'll make this call.. They blow another 20 point lead.. He's gone after that game.. To hell with the end of the season.

Indy/Pagano - Yep.. Again, not all his fault.. But he's gone. I thought he'd be gone after last year, to be honest.

LA/Fischer - I bet he stays.. And not because of Goff.. he just stays. he's like gum stuck to your shoe.. You just can't get rid of him.

Buffalo/Ryan - Yeah, I'd keep him. The results haven't been great, but the foundation is there.

Jax/Bradley - He's gone.

NO/Payton - Stays.. he's earned a few bad seasons, and is liked by the city and the ownership. He'll have a really hot seat next year, tho if it's another bad season.

GB/McCarthy - Not a chance he goes. That's just injuries. well, not ALL injuries, but more that than coaching.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:04 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,470,755 times
I'd go Gus Bradley (Jacksonville), the combo of Chuck Pagano (coach) & Ryan Grigson (GM) from Indy, Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati) & Todd Bowles (Jets) getting the heave ho this off season, and than 1 or 2 surprise firings: I.e Mike McCarthy of the Packers (which shouldn't be a surprise I think GB is stale and needs a new voice but the ownership hardly ever turns over coaches), Mike Tomlin (see GB, especially if they miss playoffs in what turned out to be that awful division), Sean Peyton (Saints). I agree Fisher should be canned but I doubt he will be with Goff just starting. Hue Jackson should be safe even if they go 0-16 that team needs a coach there for more than 1 season. I think Mike McCoy should be safe too: If Gordon doesn't have those two late 4th quarter fumbles against the Saints and Rivers doesn't throw those 4 second half interceptions against the Dolphins, the Chargers are 6-4 instead of 4-6 and right in the thick of not only the AFC Wildcard race, but the AFC West race as well. Tough to blame the head coach when your 13+ year QB makes terrible decisions and your RB can't hold onto the ball.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:24 PM

Bradley is awful and needs to go because of how terrible they are as a team. They just don't seemed to be disciplined enough to be a talented team because they turn the ball over too many times which kills the Jaguars and there's no way that Bradley's gonna last. This shouldn't be any excuse for any team. The Browns are 0-11 because they are undisciplined. They just can't seem to find ways to win games and this Browns franchise is a mess now. They might go 0-16 if they stay undisciplined. If they want to avoid a winless season, since they lost all of their preseason games, they must find ways to win games and they must be a lot more disciplined. Hue Jackson might as well get the ax too after the season of how horrible the Browns are. The Colts are in trouble too and I think if Pagano doesn't make the playoffs, he could be gone as well. The 49ers have gone from bad to worse. I never thought that Chip Kelly was a good NFL coach. I think these are the four coaches, IMO, that would likely to be gone this offseason.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:39 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
The Browns are 0-11 because they are undisciplined.
The Browns are 0-11 because they've had 6 quarterbacks. No coach could win in these circumstances.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The Browns are 0-11 because they've had 6 quarterbacks. No coach could win in these circumstances.
Maybe if they stopped changing quarterbacks all the time, they would not have ended up like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football