Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times

Advertisements

I haven't watched many Arena football games and I'd really like to watch one. The two problems are is that it is only aired on cable network, ESPN and CBS Sports Network. The other problem is that the AFL is down to four teams left. But arena football is exciting to watch. I haven't seen a game in a while. I've been to a Green Bay Blizzard game once, which is part of the Indoor Football League. The fields are much shorter and the goal posts are much different from high school, college, and NFL goal posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:04 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I've never been but have heard good things. The team here in Arizona is somewhat popular.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:38 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Has anybody watched or been to an Arena football game?
Not in a dog's age. Or longer.

I went to one of the Arizona Rattlers games when they were in one of their championship years.

It's a fast-paced game, and the rules & regs are drawn up for plenty of action and high scores.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Not in a dog's age. Or longer.

I went to one of the Arizona Rattlers games when they were in one of their championship years.

It's a fast-paced game, and the rules & regs are drawn up for plenty of action and high scores.
It also seems that Arena football is much faster than college and NFL football. Plus the other thing is you get to keep the balls and the AFL knows that and they have to pay for those balls. My brother, while we were at a Green Bay Gamblers game, which competes in the IFL (Indoor Football League), got himself a ball that was in the stands after either the field goal attempt or the PAT attempt. He even got the football sign and we still have it in our living room next to the TV. Other differences include; punting is illegal and you have the one minute warning in the AFL. Ironically, after every touchdown the clock keeps ticking until the PAT attempt is made. This type of football makes it so much fun.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i have, on and off, watched arena football, and found it to be an interesting game. a number of NFL players that were past their prime competed. i like the fast pace of the game, and i like some of the rules as well. i still prefer the NFL though.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:47 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
We had an af2 team here the first years they had that league (Which is now technically the AFL).. Then we had a team that was in the AIFL(?) then the SIFL.

I made just about every game of all the incarnations. When they were the Carolina Rhinos the first two years, they drew great attendance.. The last year waned a bit, but they dropped the team not really because it wasn't drawing, but they wanted to keep the NBA D-League team.. Which folded quickly.

The South Carolina Force was... Ok.. It got off to a rough start. 2 hour delay before starting the first game, they announced the team by the wrong name (Calling them the hockey team name).. Had a former South Carolina QB (Blake Mitchell?) that was not situated for indoor football at all.. But.. They really started turning things around so far as their play midway through the year.. But.. They didn't get the fans back. There was an average of 1500 people or so in a 12k seat arena.

The second year, they renamed the team the Greenville Force.. And it was a total abortion. The head coach bought the team.. Didn't pay the players, didn't pay the arena, was arrested for credit card fraud.. They wound up cancelling the last game of the season and that was it.

All that being said.. It's a fast-paced exciting game. Whether you're watching the actual AFL, or just indoor football.. (The difference being the rebound nets.. Those are unique to the AFL).. I really recommend going to see a game. It's fun, it's fascinating. It might not be your cup of tea, but you deserve to go and watch a game in person to decide for yourself.

The other good part about these leagues is that most have a requirement to have a certain number of players that are local. So, the teams here were heavily populated from USC, Clemson, Gardner-Webb, Furman and the like.

You're generally not going to see NFL quality talent.. But there is talent there. It's almost like a cross between football and ice hockey.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I once attended an NIFL game, the Evansville BlueCats vs Fort Wayne Freedom. The final score ended up being something like 71-68. The teams scored on just about every possession. The production value unrelated to the game was good, but I didn't particularly enjoy the game itself. I never went to another one.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I once attended an NIFL game, the Evansville BlueCats vs Fort Wayne Freedom. The final score ended up being something like 71-68. The teams scored on just about every possession. The production value unrelated to the game was good, but I didn't particularly enjoy the game itself. I never went to another one.
Arena football has its place where needed, and it's been great at times, no question. Arena certainly has developed a fan base here and there. However, the way it's played makes it more of a gimmick. It's an acquired taste that never was intended to replace real football, in my opinion.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have, on and off, watched arena football, and found it to be an interesting game. a number of NFL players that were past their prime competed. i like the fast pace of the game, and i like some of the rules as well. i still prefer the NFL though.
I agree, while I still prefer the NFL and college football, I really enjoy the fast pace of the game and some of the rules. What I really like most about arena/indoor football is you keep the ball. Also I've said this before and I'll say it again; what's different about arena football is the fields are shorter and the goal posts are much different from the ones in high school college, and NFL. Punting is illegal in arena football because of the short fields. It's high scoring generally, and very rarely do you ever see shutouts in Arena football. Plus the clock keeps. Kickoffs are from the goal line rather than from the 20, 25, 30, or whaterver.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:09 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I agree, while I still prefer the NFL and college football, I really enjoy the fast pace of the game and some of the rules. What I really like most about arena/indoor football is you keep the ball. Also I've said this before and I'll say it again; what's different about arena football is the fields are shorter and the goal posts are much different from the ones in high school college, and NFL. Punting is illegal in arena football because of the short fields. It's high scoring generally, and very rarely do you ever see shutouts in Arena football. Plus the clock keeps. Kickoffs are from the goal line rather than from the 20, 25, 30, or whaterver.
Much narrower goal posts.. And some leagues use the Uno, which is actually pretty cool.. If the kickoff goes through the uprights, the kicking team gets a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football