Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 03:09 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times

Advertisements

I am stunned regarding the end of the Texan/Colt game, CBS showed the last few minutes of overtime in my area. The post game remarks from head coach Frank Reich are going to be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:15 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I wasn't paying attention, I thought they won, now I'll have to look and find the video clip to see what happened!

Old 09-30-2018, 03:20 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
How a team that has both Good and Luck on the roster can lose in overtime is beyond me.....

Old 09-30-2018, 03:21 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
The theme from most of the early games: we are who we thought they were, as well as this ridiculous 10-minute OT rule, which I'll touch on at the end....
Order restored in the state of Florida with the Jags rebounding convincingly, and Tampa and Miami looking like garbage. And Ryan Tannehill is the QB we all suspected when he isn't allowed to get rid of the ball quickly. Buffalo returns to form, as I guess too you could say the same about Detroit. The Patriots looked like an actual Belichick-coached team once again.
Killer losses for Indy, Philly, and Atlanta today: the latter two probably should have won, but blew it. The Falcons have scored 73 points the past two weeks and lost both in excruciating fashion. Their defense was terrific, but not now with the significant injuries. My Super Bowl pick is pretty well toast.
There were nearly more ties in the wins by the Texans and Titans. Teams faced situations having only possessed the ball once after the opponents made field goals, forced into deciding whether to go for it late in OT on 4th down, or settle for a tie probably at best, with little chance of possessing the ball again. Now as it would turn out, Houston did get the ball back because Indy went for it on 4th down at their own end of the field, obviously not wanting to settle for a tie. And I like the thinking. But this sort of thing I don't recall happening when OTs were still 15 minutes. We talk about all the dumb and knee-jerk rule changes when it comes to the NFL. This whole attempt to supposedly limit injuries and times of games by reducing OTs from 15 to 10 minutes was stupid and unnecessary. Nobody likes ties. The format was perfectly fine and a non-issue. I saw more substantial reason today than ever before for the NFL making a bad decision to reduced OTs to 10 minutes.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 09-30-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I am stunned regarding the end of the Texan/Colt game, CBS showed the last few minutes of overtime in my area. The post game remarks from head coach Frank Reich are going to be interesting.
Yup. I think I agree with Reich, particularly when I think one puts it in the context of being 1-2 and already trailing more talented teams in your division, particularly Jacksonville. I think "pulling out all the stops" applies more to a team like Indy and you don't play for the tie. 4th-and-10 from your own 20 would be different. But 4th-and-4 from near midfield and an offense that's been successful all day: I say go for it. But again, I think these 10-minute OTs are forcing coaches to employ strategies they wouldn't have to if we still had 15-minute OTs. I don't think this is how hard fought, closely contested games should be determined in order to determine a winner. And again, nobody likes a tie.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
I like how they do the OT scoring, but it needs to go back to 15 minutes.

Texans got a gift. But at the same time, it was a good play call to go with the quick pass to the middle to get 20 yards when the Colts were playing the sidelines.

-----------------

Cleveland, Oakland is entertaining. 35-34 Browns halfway thru the 4thQ. Browns just got a TD taken away. Carr sacked and the ball immediately came out, but the refs called it dead.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I like how they do the OT scoring, but it needs to go back to 15 minutes.

Texans got a gift. But at the same time, it was a good play call to go with the quick pass to the middle to get 20 yards when the Colts were playing the sidelines.

-----------------

Cleveland, Oakland is entertaining. 35-34 Browns halfway thru the 4thQ. Browns just got a TD taken away. Carr sacked and the ball immediately came out, but the refs called it dead.
Yes I agree with the OT scoring system: much better than the asinine NCAA OT rule. And yes though, it should never have been changed to 10 minutes. Also, I'm seeing a lot of the Monday morning quarterbacks all over Frank Reich. If Luck completes that pass, I doubt they utter a peep, or say what a genius he is. I'm okay with what he did in that scenario. As for the wild Browns-Raiders game, wow the NFL is turning into college, where it seems most of these teams don't play any defense! Of course again, the league can be thanked- as these dumb roughing the passer calls are making it impossible to be a pass rusher.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:37 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
We are about to have another OT game. 42-42 Browns Raiders.

30 sec left. 3 timeouts for the Browns

Old 09-30-2018, 05:41 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Who would think those 2 teams would tie with 42 points of offense!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:42 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
OT should be a 15 minute quarter, whoever scores the most points wins.

They won't adopt the NCAA rules for two reasons. First are the fantasy people as an NCAA type setup would skew scoring big time. The second would be the sports books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football