Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 02:18 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times

Advertisements

Next year, the 2021 NFL Draft will be headed to Cleveland (that's if this pandemic can be controlled and we can get back to having large gatherings again). When it was announced on social media that the city was hosting the draft; people went in on the city of Cleveland: "Cleveland sucks", "There should keep it viral because prospects don't wanna go to Cleveland", "All the draft picks are gonna be busts because they were drafted in Cleveland", "Cleveland is a dump that's why LeBron left twice", "It should only be held in places that everybody goes to", "The Coronavirus wouldn't even go to Cleveland." Some even said that the TV ratings are gonna be low because it's in Cleveland or it's not gonna look good on TV because it's in Cleveland.

Or, they pull out the Hastily Cleveland Tourism YouTube video or the Joakim Noan video about Cleveland not being a vacation spot. A lot of these people were from Nashville, Miami, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Chicago, Green Bay, etc. They also trashed KC for being selected for the 2023 Draft, and people have said that Cleveland and KC are undeserving of the Draft because they're not the tourists destination or vacation spots. They feel that the Draft should only be held in those type of cities. Do you feel that the NFL Draft should only be held in only tourist destinations?

Last edited by QCongress83216; 04-29-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Well they had the 2016 Republican Convention in Cleveland. Seemed to be a success. The NFL will look at locations where they have teams based, that are safe and that fit their inclusion policies. So what tourist locations were you thinking?

Old 04-29-2020, 04:00 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Next year, the 2021 NFL Draft will be headed to Cleveland (that's if this pandemic can be controlled and we can get back to having large gatherings again). When it was announced on social media that the city was hosting the draft; people went in on the city of Cleveland: "Cleveland sucks", "There should keep it viral because prospects don't wanna go to Cleveland", "All the draft picks are gonna be busts because they were drafted in Cleveland", "Cleveland is a dump that's why LeBron left twice", "It should only be held in places that everybody goes to", "The Coronavirus wouldn't even go to Cleveland." Some even said that the TV ratings are gonna be low because it's in Cleveland or it's not gonna look good on TV because it's in Cleveland.

Or, they pull out the Hastily Cleveland Tourism YouTube video or the Joakim Noan video about Cleveland not being a vacation spot. A lot of these people were from Nashville, Miami, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Chicago, Green Bay, etc. They also trashed KC for being selected for the 2023 Draft, and people have said that Cleveland and KC are undeserving of the Draft because they're not the tourists destination or vacation spots. They feel that the Draft should only be held in those type of cities. Do you feel that the NFL Draft should only be held in only tourist destinations?

No. Though I do think it should only be held in cities with an NFL franchise. Makes no sense to have it in Honolulu or something like that. Which also means.. Not in San Diego, at least for now. The only exception.. I might be OK with Canton.

Surprised people are complaining about KC.. I think that's a fun town. Good steaks, good BBQ. The Negro League museum is there.. Jesse James.. WW1 museum, a decent zoo.. Jazz museum. And.. You've got the racetrack on the KS side of things. I'd bet NASCAR would be interested in running a race the same weekend. While there's not total carryover from the fans, there's certainly some.

Every city has something unique and exciting about it.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I agree with having an NFL team and personally I think GB fans need to get off that bandwagon, don't see it happening. With the crowds some recent drafts have had, there is no way NE Wisconsin has the infrastructure to handle it at this time. I know Mark Murphy has mentioned it, but I'm not seeing it.

People on the internet trashing other cities are either not well traveled, making assumptions because of things they see on the internet, and if they are younger, need to grow up. Because you're a fan of a team in a certain city, doesn't mean another city isn't capable of hosting the draft.

I've been to Cleveland and KC several times, enjoyed myself both places. Any NFL team city that can have the venues, hotel space to accommodate the draft, should be allowed to do so.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:28 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Who decides if a city is touristy enough?

In reality, there are only 32 teams and each representative city should have a shot. Now, on that thought since the Jets/Giants and Chargers/Rams share a city can we count them as a visit for both teams? What about the 'Skins and Ravens ... pretty danged close together? Or all them Fla. teams?

I have plenty of places that I'd consider uninteresting, so I'd just not go. Others are free to make this same choice ... 'Merica !

That's a big ol can of worms.

Didn't Goodhell say it would be in Vegas next year because of this year's cancellation?

Old 04-29-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well they had the 2016 Republican Convention in Cleveland. Seemed to be a success. The NFL will look at locations where they have teams based, that are safe and that fit their inclusion policies. So what tourist locations were you thinking?
I read comments online that people were saying that they should hold it only in places like NYC, L.A., Chicago (which had it twice), Nashville (who had it last year), Miami, Denver, etc. Those people feel that they should be held in cities that they go to or everyone else travels to. Some of people in those cities feel that they're entitled to major events because of name recognition. Speaking of the 2016 RNC, most of the delegates had their misconceptions about Cleveland before they came, and after they visited they enjoyed it and some said that they would bring their families to visit.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Who decides if a city is touristy enough?

In reality, there are only 32 teams and each representative city should have a shot. Now, on that thought since the Jets/Giants and Chargers/Rams share a city can we count them as a visit for both teams? What about the 'Skins and Ravens ... pretty danged close together? Or all them Fla. teams?

I have plenty of places that I'd consider uninteresting, so I'd just not go. Others are free to make this same choice ... 'Merica !

That's a big ol can of worms.

Didn't Goodhell say it would be in Vegas next year because of this year's cancellation?
No, Vegas gets the 2022 Draft, Googell was deep into a bottle of something by the time he made the announcement. Cleveland is getting the 2021 Draft, it was selected in 2019.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:02 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I have never been to Cleveland. Everyone that I know that has been there digs it. Rust belt towns are underrated. Milwaukee and Detroit come to mind in that regard. No one goes there, typically, unless for business but great places to have a good time.

Weather dictates Super Bowl location. The draft does not require the same arrangements. Spread it around to the different NFL cities.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:47 PM

255 posts, read 69,303 times
A stadium with a minimum capacity of 70,000 and a hotel with at least 1,000 rooms are the top two prerequisites for any city to be considered for hosting a Super Bowl.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:56 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Good points and definitely needs to be spread around to some different cities. Yes, Cleveland 2021, Vegas 2022, and KC 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football