Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 04:18 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times

Advertisements

2023 NFL HOF class is

Darrelle Revis
Zach Thomas
Ronde Barber
Joe Thomas
Demarcus Ware
Joe Klecko
Chuck Howley
Ken Riley
Don Coryell

Discuss away everyone!

Mod Mike, can you correct the title for me --thanks!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-14-2023 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Correction to list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 05:57 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Chuck Howley Finally

well deserved in my opinion

Only time a Super Bowl MVP was on the losing team.

Well, some argued about his stats, and injuries. Sadly, many fans look ONLY at stats and do not understand variables. THAT is why we don't have a moneyball type stat for football like we do for baseball. ( I know a few people who do not understand baseball stats either ) But football has too many variables that cannot be captured in stats no matter how hard anyone tries.

Chuck Howley was an example of that. I don't care what his stats were, the man was a great player. He was someone you wanted on your defense, because his presence was felt by 10 other guys on the team and 11 on the other side.

Legendary head coach Tom Landry once said of him, "I don't know that I've seen anybody better at linebacker than Howley."

ALways admired Big Joe Klecko He loved to mow down QBs

He also was in the movies !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGxf91jSxE

Old 02-10-2023, 05:59 PM

1,987 posts, read 975,513 times
Well, it's not the NFL Hall of Fame... it's the professional football Hall of Fame. The NFL has not ever been the only professional league in american football. Shame on you, OP!

Old 02-10-2023, 06:05 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
I'm surprised Torry Holt and Reggie Wayne still haven't been inducted yet.

Career wise I feel bad for Thomas. I'm sure he's fine financially but never played a playoff game and won 1 game in his last 31.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:31 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Nobody was more worthy than Chuck Howley and they waited until he developed advanced dementia to put him in. His son will accept the award for him. Way to go selection committee. 6 Pro Bowls and 5 times All Pro. SB MVP. 15 years in The League. It took 45 years to do this. More Cowboy resentment I suppose.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...H/HowlCh00.htm

Old 02-11-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'm surprised Torry Holt and Reggie Wayne still haven't been inducted yet.

Career wise I feel bad for Thomas. I'm sure he's fine financially but never played a playoff game and won 1 game in his last 31.
Andre Johnson was better than both Holt and Wayne and he was also not inducted. Wayne had the benefit of Peyton Manning throwing to him. Johnson did not. Johnson also played on worse Houston teams than Wayne on the Colts. He was a better player, Wayne had to share the spotlight with Marvin Harrison which I feel took away from his abilities.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Chuck Howley Finally

well deserved in my opinion

Only time a Super Bowl MVP was on the losing team.

Well, some argued about his stats, and injuries. Sadly, many fans look ONLY at stats and do not understand variables. THAT is why we don't have a moneyball type stat for football like we do for baseball. ( I know a few people who do not understand baseball stats either ) But football has too many variables that cannot be captured in stats no matter how hard anyone tries.

Chuck Howley was an example of that. I don't care what his stats were, the man was a great player. He was someone you wanted on your defense, because his presence was felt by 10 other guys on the team and 11 on the other side.

Legendary head coach Tom Landry once said of him, "I don't know that I've seen anybody better at linebacker than Howley."

ALways admired Big Joe Klecko He loved to mow down QBs

He also was in the movies !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZGxf91jSxE
Amen about Howley. I hope Randy Gradishar is the next LB in. He is very deserving.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:26 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Andre Johnson was better than both Holt and Wayne and he was also not inducted. Wayne had the benefit of Peyton Manning throwing to him. Johnson did not. Johnson also played on worse Houston teams than Wayne on the Colts. He was a better player, Wayne had to share the spotlight with Marvin Harrison which I feel took away from his abilities.
Holt was first eligible for the HOF while Johnson was still playing. Somehow he still hasn't been inducted.

Perhaps all 3 get inducted at one time? Who knows but I figured Holt and Wayne would be here by now regardless of who is better.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:22 PM

77 posts, read 24,564 times
Zach Thomas taking this long to make it was laughable, but alas he is in. Never saw a defensive player in my life quite like him- undersized, and yet you swore there had to be two of him playing simultaneously, as he was in on every play. The media maybe finally heeded the advice of those who would know best. Brian Urlacher, Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and Peyton Manning, who stated, “He caused the most problems for me of any player I ever faced.”

Old 02-11-2023, 09:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Well, it's not the NFL Hall of Fame... it's the professional football Hall of Fame. The NFL has not ever been the only professional league in american football. Shame on you, OP!
Oh, well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football