Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Casey Hampton still would have been a better G than Chris Kemoeatu ever was.

Maybe that is what the writer was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
39 days till the first pre-season game (vs philly) & 70 days till the reg season opener (vs denver).

Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
How many days till Wallace signs?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
How many days till Wallace signs?
At this point I'd just trade his ass. Besides, he's still a very flawed player regardless of his speed. Quite frankly, I don't care if he can blow the lid off a defense if he's going to kill drives with dropped passes, run sloppy routes, lose focus in tight coverage, or refuse to jump or put his body on the line for the ball. For all the big plays he's ever made, none of them have involved any guts or technical prowess on his part. I prefer a WR who understands that he won't be able to outrun coverage all the time, and his QB won't be right on target every time. If he's only capable of making big plays after catching perfectly-thrown passes in wide-open spaces, then he's expendable, because it's the other stuff that shows the true character of a WR.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
At this point I'd just trade his ass. Besides, he's still a very flawed player regardless of his speed. Quite frankly, I don't care if he can blow the lid off a defense if he's going to kill drives with dropped passes, run sloppy routes, lose focus in tight coverage, or refuse to jump or put his body on the line for the ball. For all the big plays he's ever made, none of them have involved any guts or technical prowess on his part. I prefer a WR who understands that he won't be able to outrun coverage all the time, and his QB won't be right on target every time. If he's only capable of making big plays after catching perfectly-thrown passes in wide-open spaces, then he's expendable, because it's the other stuff that shows the true character of a WR.
Totally agree but everyone knows that he will be demanding a big pay-day so people are avoiding him like the plague. The Steelers are drooling based on his speed because they see possible potential but there is no guarantee that a few years down the road that he will have better hands. I guess we will see. Maybe we can get Hines to un-retire.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Who are some of your favorite players from the past? Two players I will always love are Barry Foster (RB) and Eric Green (TE).

Amazingly I can't find any video of either player.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Who are some of your favorite players from the past? Two players I will always love are Barry Foster (RB) and Eric Green (TE).

Amazingly I can't find any video of either player.
I liked Barry and Eric but Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, Dermontti Dawson, Rod Woodson (one of my favorites). On our team today Heath Miller kind of has that throwback feeling.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I liked Barry and Eric but Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, Dermontti Dawson, Rod Woodson (one of my favorites). On our team today Heath Miller kind of has that throwback feeling.
I probably should have said I was thinking about some of the lesser known players. All those guys you mentioned were indeed great.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I probably should have said I was thinking about some of the lesser known players. All those guys you mentioned were indeed great.
Not sure where he ranks in the Pantheon of Steeler greats, but I've always loved Rocky Blier's story. Since he's one of the few 4 ring steelers not in the HOF, does that qualify as " Lesser known"?

Another lesser know 4 ring guy I am a big fan of is Mike Wagner. He lived in the condo complex I lived in during my elementary school years and he was always very kind and generous with his time to all the kids in the neighborhood. One time he invited a bunch of us into his townhouse to meet someone and it was LC Greenwood! We were all in awe. Wagner was just a super guy. And with 2 SB picks on his resume, a fine safety as well!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Not sure where he ranks in the Pantheon of Steeler greats, but I've always loved Rocky Bleier's story. Since he's one of the few 4 ring Steelers not in the HOF, does that qualify as " Lesser known"?
To me Rocky Bleier is a king size individual. King Size!

He was drafted on two fronts- by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1968 draft and drafted by Uncle Sam.

After his rookie season with Pittsburgh in 1968 he volunteered for duty! Rocky served with the 196th infantry brigade. He suffered an injury to his right leg when a grenade was tossed and he was rewarded with shrapnel in his leg. He was then rewarded with some real cheery news from the Tokyo doctors who worked on him. They told him he would never play football. That's what they told him. But Art Rooney rewarded him with a message that stuck with him. "Get well Rocky-we need you!" That message drove him.

Bleier worked his butt off. And later had a great career with Pittsburgh. Guess Rocky told them instead. I need to check to check the Elias Sports Bureau to see how many players who served in Vietnam and got a purple heart and then played in the NFL. The players who served in WW-II is no doubt a sizable list. Vietnam-not so much. The only player I know of from the American Football League who was an active player when going to Nam would be Bob Kalsu of the Buffalo Bills. Kalsu was killed in an incident in 1969 called "Firebase Ripcord".

Back to Bleier. After he retired a biography was made about him, and later a movie. Robert Urich portrayed him. Today he's a motivational speaker.

Couldn't think of a better guy who would qualify!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football