Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

I will definitely not dispute Elway's offensive picks have proven a major disappointment. I'll withold judgment on some of the more recent ones like Bolles until he's had a couple seasons to develop. So far I think he was a good pick. Even Lynch hasn't had an extended observation in real game time. Sure, he didn't look good in limited play last year, but neither did Jared Goff and he seems to be doing okay for the Rams now. As for the later round offensive picks, I base my assessment off of expectations. For example, Siemian being a 7th round pick nobody expected him to be much more than a camp arm. Yet he was functional last year and appeared to be improved this year before the bottom fell out. Guys like Janovich are role players and I base my assessment on how well they execute their role.

At any rate I have no idea how long a leash Elway will get buy my guess is it will be pretty long. It's not like he came into a team that was functioning at a high level and let things fall apart. Instead he inherited a team that had missed the playoffs 5 straight years (and had a 1-3 playoff record in the 5 seasons before that) and capped off that 5 year run of futility with a dismal 4-12 season, the worst in franchise history. This is Elway's 7th year at the helm, and in the 6 complete years the Broncos have won their division 5 times. Even last year's team finished a respectable 9-7, a near miss for the playoffs. This year's team is shaping up to be his first losing effort since returning to the team. Considering 1) all he has accomplished since his return and 2) who out there does anyone think would have done better from 2011-present and who do we realistically expect can do better going forward?

I don't know what needs to happen to fix the offensive drafting. But the critiques of Elway's performance should always be weighed against the results of his tenure and that of those who ran this team before him. When taken in complete context, he still looks pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Yeah, I should have been more specific, but I was a fan of Elway's FA moves and just overall presence/involvement with the team. I do concede though that his draft picks thus far have been shaky at best. Lynch being the glaring bust, and QB play is a big part of why the Broncos have lost 4 in a row.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Agree with this 100%. That was an ugly, ugly game. Broncos got demolished at every level.

All good though, Philly has done that to several opponents this season. Unfortunately, the Eagles look to be for real this season.

4 losses in a row, and this team is reeling. They have two quarterbacks that are both career backup guys. The problem starts there.

Elway is a great GM, one of the best in the NFL. As a Redskins fan, I'd do anything for a guy like Elway running the show.
Yes, Eagles were the better team by a long shot. With that said, I am more frustrated by the losses to the Giants and Chargers than the Eagles and Chiefs. Sometimes you just get outplayed by better teams and in tough environments. But getting dominated by the winless Giants at home then following that up by getting shut out by the Chargers, a team that isn't really all that good is frustrating.

Looking at the back half of the Broncos schedule there is not a single game the Broncos will be considered locks to win. With that said, they only have two remaining opponents who (from where we sit now) will appear to be prohibitive favorites. Those are the Patriots and Chiefs, and those are both home games with the Chiefs being the season finale. I'd not dismiss the Broncos chances in that one regardless of what happens between now and then. And as dismal as this team has looked, the six games between the Patriots and Chiefs are conceivably winnable games for the Broncos.

That's not to say I expect a 6-2 finish down the stretch and a push for a playoff spot. But we seen things like that happen in the NFL all the time. Even if I don't necessarily expect it, I'll not rule it out as possible until it doesn't actually happen.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 AM

796 posts, read 505,354 times
Was hoping Broncos could beat Eagles...but they got romped. And Oz didn't play much better than Siemien yesterday....but maybe he will improve by the next 2 games. Its really hard for a QB to thrive in that offensive system with the o-line play and lack of a productive running game. Then Broncos don't have a good TE.

If Oz doesn't improve by the next 3 games...Broncos should put in Paxton Lynch to see what he has (if he is healthy). If he still isn't getting it done...Broncos will have to make moves in draft to get a QB.

Out of the 3 QBs the Broncos have now...which 1 or 2 would u keep as back ups for next year and which ones would u release? Its hard to say now but more needs to be seen out of Lynch.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Looking at the back half of the Broncos schedule there is not a single game the Broncos will be considered locks to win.
Let them tank and get a good draft pick. They look horrible.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:40 PM

18,017 posts, read 27,463,514 times
To try and dissect the Broncos fall is a waste of time.

The team has lost its soul. They couldn't hit their own collective ass with both hands right now.

I think it's too much of a burden to ask any one of those players to fix the thing right now.

They are going to get hurt out there as the season trickles on and one by one, their once vaunted defense will crumble and have a hard time picking themselves back up.

That's why I'd said two posts ago, trade Von Miller and Chris Harris Jr. Let them go somewhere else before their careers are ruined.

The Broncos are really bad now. I think they are beneath the Cleveland Browns, the 49ers, etc.

If I cared more about football now, it would be a shame because the first few games of this season, I was expecting really good things for the Broncos.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:23 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

The team has lost its soul. They couldn't hit their own collective ass with both hands right now.

I think it's too much of a burden to ask any one of those players to fix the thing right now.

They are going to get hurt out there as the season trickles on and one by one, their once vaunted defense will crumble and have a hard time picking themselves back up.

That's why I'd said two posts ago, trade Von Miller and Chris Harris Jr. Let them go somewhere else before their careers are ruined.

The Broncos are really bad now. I think they are beneath the Cleveland Browns, the 49ers, etc.

If I cared more about football now, it would be a shame because the first few games of this season, I was expecting really good things for the Broncos.
As odd as it may sound there are more than one armchair GM's among Chief fans that would trade you Alex Smith right now for Miller and Harris. After the loss to the Cowboys there are several fans so distraught over the performance of the Chiefs over their last 4 games its bordering on full on depression. They see the defense as turning into hot garbage from warm garbage and think Alex Smith has turned back into his old game manager timid self and Andy Reid has lost it as a coach. They see a repeat of the feared one and done in the playoffs the Chiefs are so famous for. Well thats fans for ya. Of course at the release of the schedule those same fans would all love for the Chiefs to come out of their first 9 games at 6-3. Depending on how the rest of the season goes when your Broncos play the Chiefs in the last game you just might be playing against Pat Mahomes and mostly back ups for the better part of that game.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
As odd as it may sound there are more than one armchair GM's among Chief fans that would trade you Alex Smith right now for Miller and Harris...
Thankfully for Broncos fans who aren't overreacting to one bad season, the Broncos won't put Miller or Harris on the trade block.

Alex Smith is having a career year, and his play is a big part of why the Chiefs are 6-3 right now. By all reports, this is his last year in Kansas City regardless of the year's outcome. It would be interesting to see the Chiefs make a switch at QB (and I doubt they will) when Smith has had such a good year. I think it's more likely Reid and Co. ride it out and see if they can use this formula for a deep playoff run. I'd guess switching to Mahomes before the season is out would be conceding the season. Unless Smith gets injured, of course.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Von Miller--I remember after a few days of haggling and hurt feelings Von got his big payday, making him the highest (at that time) defensive player in the NFL. Paying an individual a gazillion dollars leads to problems elsewhere on the roster, which leads me to---

T.J. Ward-- his play might have dropped off a little, and his 4.5 million dollars was an issue, but he, even more so than Miller, had a big presence in the locker room. Last year another clubhouse leader DeMarcus Ware retired.

Wade Philips--I've wondered for some time about Wade not returning to Denver this season. It's nothing against Joe Wood but Wade is one of the best assistant coaches in the last few decades. I miss Wade Philips.

The Broncos defense have lost their swagger. They are not the #1 defense anymore after Sunday's debacle. And most importantly they are not forcing turnovers anymore.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM

The Broncos force a 3 and our to open the game only to muff the punt. I think if you’ve followed this team this year you probably knew it was coming too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football