Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 11:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
This has little to do with the Broncos, but since I'm a Bronco fan and also a fan of my hometown football team.... Our town opened a new second major high school this year. For this first year, students got to pick which school they attended. (Ended up a 50-50 split.) Nearly all of the high school football seniors elected to attend the new school, including last year's QB, son of the old school's head football coach. I think it was two days later the coach resigned. This school has, I think more than any other in Wyoming, produced state 4A champs year in and year out in recent decades -- in all sports.

They just played their last game of the season Friday night and lost 86-6, giving up the most points in a single game since 1921. Season record was 0-9. It marked the first time in 28 years that the football team wasn't in the state play-offs. On reflection, one of the sophomore linebackers thought they did well. "We played tough. I think it went pretty good besides the fact of not winning any games. Everyone put in effort."

I've gotta start thinking more like that kid thinks! It might be the only way for a Bronco fan to get through this season.

This is not looking good for the Orange and Blue. I don't blame Siemian so much as I do the offensive line. What the heck is going on? These last games haven't been close, and the opponents weren't great teams by any stretch.
Well said.
As Coach put it, it's a unit thing.

When you are sitting in your living room watching them line up and you know what they are going to do, you have to bet that the other team can figure it out, as well.
Predictability is the enemy of a football team. Back when Kyle Orton was QB, we had the same problem. Sitting up on the 5th level, I could tell what they were going to do. The reason Tebow was so effective when he was starting was because even HE wasn't sure what was going to happen after the snap.

We have some talent, but they are setting themselves up and telegraphing the play. We need a new playbook.

This season is gonna be a tough one. New Coach and basically a sophomore QB with a pack of talented individuals on the line. They need to become a unit, fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Prediction:::: the Broncos will not make the playoffs.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:58 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Well said.
As Coach put it, it's a unit thing.

When you are sitting in your living room watching them line up and you know what they are going to do, you have to bet that the other team can figure it out, as well.
Predictability is the enemy of a football team. Back when Kyle Orton was QB, we had the same problem. Sitting up on the 5th level, I could tell what they were going to do. The reason Tebow was so effective when he was starting was because even HE wasn't sure what was going to happen after the snap.

We have some talent, but they are setting themselves up and telegraphing the play. We need a new playbook.

This season is gonna be a tough one. New Coach and basically a sophomore QB with a pack of talented individuals on the line. They need to become a unit, fast.
I laughed at the bolded, but the truth was that he did make the games fun to watch. You never knew what you'd get, and it could be (and frequently was) utter dreck, but hoping for a flash of brilliance was enough to keep paying attention.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver Post reports "Broncos were shut out for the first time in 394 games, a streak that dated back to 1992."

Is the team officially now in "rebuilding status?"
Yup, time to shop Von Miller and Chris Harris Jr.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Seems a bit of a panic reaction to me. Of course there are some panic reactions going on among Chief fans too. So how about a trade? Miller & Harris to the Chiefs for Alex Smith and a couple of draft picks. Panic eased on both sides.
Will never happen but what would Bronco fans think of riding out this season and then picking up Smith when the Chiefs let him go because of cap problems next year?

Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Those aren't the problems that the Broncos are having....Try Trevor Siemian quarterbacking for starters.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Those aren't the problems that the Broncos are having....Try Trevor Siemian quarterbacking for starters.
I don't think replacing Siemian will fix the problem. at least not with the talent that is available at the moment.

It's a problem that only having an Offensive line will fix. (Unless, of course, another Elway were to show up.
He managed to take the Broncos to three Super Bowls with no O-Line.)

Old 10-26-2017, 08:27 AM

796 posts, read 505,354 times
Quote:
I would say the Broncos offense is way more the issue. But what happened to the Broncos offense when they played the Boys. Siemien hung 4 passing TDs on us AND Anderson had a 100+yd running. And its been so long since we had a 100+ yds running allowed before that game nor 4 passing TDs. Its like after that game...Broncos O just became very lackluster if not terrible.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver Post reports "Broncos were shut out for the first time in 394 games, a streak that dated back to 1992."

Is the team officially now in "rebuilding status?"
Quote:
I guess there's no reaction like over-reaction.

While it is hard to look at the remainder of the schedule and foresee enough wins to push for a playoff spot, I think it's premature to say the team is rebuilding or suggest unloading two of their best players will help anything.

I don't think the Broncos will win this week. But let's be honest: this is the NFL and if a winless Giants team can come into Denver and absolutely dominate the Broncos is it so hard to believe that what appears to be a listless Broncos team can beat a Chiefs team that has shown some defensive weaknesses recently? And let's face it: if the Broncos somehow pull off an improbable win they're 4-3 and right back in the playoff conversation despite a stout remaining schedule.

I tend to be pretty optimistic and after the first two games this season had a lot of reason to be. But after the second two I started having my doubts. They looked bad against what now appears to be a quality Bills team, but that 16-10 win over the Raiders left me feeling as dissatisfied after a win as I've ever been. And even though I picked a win over the Giants, all through the bye week I never really had any confidence in that pick. I had zero expecation of a win this past week and very little expectation of a win this coming week and that's only because sometimes teams rebound when you least expect them to do so.

But generally I've mentally chalked up this season as transitional. Not rebuilding, but transitional. The Broncos could still go 7-9 or 8-8 (I won't rule out a better finish but don't expect it anymore) and use the offseason to further bolster their offensive line. I think our DC may generate some interest as a HC candidate, but I think we'll benefit from having Mike McCoy remain on hand as OC and of course Vance Joseph with a full year under his belt may have a better idea of what direction to go with the team.

The biggest weakness this team has still appears to me to be the O-line, and even this has improved significantly over last year. Last year they couldn't run or pass block. This year they can at least run block. And unlike previous years where we've pretty much had 4/5 new faces every year, I think we now have 3, maybe 4 members of that unit who appear to be a 4-5 year solution. I expect the O-line will get some much needed attention in the 2017 draft.

As for the QB, while I maintain the O-line is a bigger weakness, one cannot deny Siemian does not seem to have progressed. With Lynch now making throws in practice I imagine it won't be long before we start hearing rumors of a switch. Especially if the Broncos are 3-6 on the heels of this brutal 3 game stretch ahead of them. And of course, if Lynch is healthy and the team is 3-6 at that point I'd favor a switch just to see what we have in Lynch (assuming he's healthy enough to actually be the starter). Unless Siemian plays himself into an indispensible status (doubtful) the Broncos have got to get an assessment of what they have in Lynch before they go into a QB deep draft.

I don't think the team is in rebuild mode. I was optimistic Siemian would show marginal progress over last year and the transitions on the coaching staff would actually favor his development. At this point in the season that optimism appears to have been misguided, but that doesn't mean the team is rebuilding or the season is lost. There is still a lot of football left in 2017. And if this year proves to be more transitional, that's ok: address defiiciencies and reload in 2018.

This is the Broncos, not the Browns!

Old 10-26-2017, 04:09 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I meant for their sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football