Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
did he go to the pro bowl in denver?
Yes, but only as an injury replacement. Of course he was also a huge part of our late season slide that kept us out of the playoffs.

Quote:
didnt that young head coach at the time screw up the team?
No. Giving a young first time head coach complete control of the team without any support from a real GM screwed up the team. Even then, many of the pieces he put in place and about 2/3rds of his coaching staff are still here.

Quote:
I think giving up the 2 number 1s and orton was well worth it...and with the 3rd round pick the bears took johny knox...great trade for the bears...
I would make that trade a hundred times again. We gave up a slightly above average QB for a boatload of picks and a QB who vastly outperformed Cutler in his two years as a starter here. Bears paid a high price for mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
You sound like you don't like Cutler. You can state your opinion on him as fact if you like... but I'm watching him throw off his back foot for first downs and tearing up defenses left and right. He can be a great qb in this league yet.

The Chicago Bears look pretty good now and the Broncos have to play them down the stretch. Time will tell... we'll see.

I think Mike Shanahan could have done a way better job coaching Cutler, Sheffler, Brandon Marshall, Stokley, etc... and our team would have been fine. He just needed to shore up the defensive line a bit. The Rat also would have never picked up Tebow (at least a short-term liability you must admit) and Brady Quinn.

Coach Joss McDaniels destroyed the team... and Fox has a chance to right the ship.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You sound like you don't like Cutler.
I don't like him in the slightest. I think he is a ****ty human being, a very average quarterback and the biggest waste of sheer talent since Jeff George.

Quote:
You can state your opinion on him as fact if you like... but I'm watching him throw off his back foot for first downs and tearing up defenses left and right. He can be a great qb in this league yet.
I don't think anything I posted is particularly debatable. You say you're watching him throw first downs off his back foot and tear up defenses, but where is this happening? I'll give you the back foot thing (which is as much a negative as it is a positive) but tearing up defenses? He's had exactly two 300 yard passing games this year, and one of those came in a losing effort to what was at the time, the league's worst pass defense. As it stands now, Cutler is average or below average in every major statistical category, much like he was in Denver.

Quote:
I think Mike Shanahan could have done a way better job coaching Cutler, Sheffler, Brandon Marshall, Stokley, etc... and our team would have been fine. He just needed to shore up the defensive line a bit. The Rat also would have never picked up Tebow (at least a short-term liability you must admit) and Brady Quinn.
Shanahan had three years with Cutler, Scheffler, and Marshall. None of them showed all that much growth (though I believe that is their fault) and Cutler actually regressed some after starting off very hot in 2008. You say he needed to shore up the defensive line, but that had been the case going all the way back to 2001. He had ample opportunity to get that done and failed to do so.

Quote:
Coach Joss McDaniels destroyed the team...
I will never understand this logic. In the two years before McDaniels we went 7-9 and 8-8. With McDaniels, we went 8-8 and 4-12. That's 1.5 less wins a year. Hardly "destroyed".

Old 11-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Well I'd kind of like your wonderboy qb to come through for us today against the Bolts.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 AM

570 posts, read 581,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yes, but only as an injury replacement. Of course he was also a huge part of our late season slide that kept us out of the playoffs.

No. Giving a young first time head coach complete control of the team without any support from a real GM screwed up the team. Even then, many of the pieces he put in place and about 2/3rds of his coaching staff are still here.

I would make that trade a hundred times again. We gave up a slightly above average QB for a boatload of picks and a QB who vastly outperformed Cutler in his two years as a starter here. Bears paid a high price for mediocrity.
I would make the trade a hundred times again to...why is orton on the bench? tebow he will take you no where...cutlers out now even the play by play people can t believe his arm......they are all fans now...to bad hes injured....will see you guys in 3 weeks...bears are 7-3 with him in the toughest division....

Old 11-21-2011, 02:22 PM

Condolences to Cutler. He only got hurt trying to take care of a mistake he made. That was a fierce attempt at making a tackle and he got hurt.

I used to not like his attitude too much until I found out he had diabetes and once he started treating that, he changed a lot for the positive.

You're right Bugs. To have a 7-3 record in that NFC midwest division is a serious accomplishment.

Tebow... he has an arm too, right? Maybe he can continue to work on mechanics and accuracy... and even footwork. I say there's some hope for him yet.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:07 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Default Bronco's say they still need a long-term solution at QB

The Denver Post reports today that the Bronco's Elway says they still need a long-term solution at QB.

Excerpt:

"But Thursday's victory - the Broncos' 3rd straight and 4th since Tebow was named starter - hasn't sold anyone in the front office on Tebow being the long-term answer at QB. When asked directly if Elway is any closer to feeling if you have your QB on this team, Elway paused, and answered, "No." Elway pointed to the Broncos' 3rd down conversion numbers under Tebow as a key area that needs to improve. The Broncos made only 3-of-13 third downs against the Jets."

I'd say that's about right and to be expected. Tebow will have to improve a good deal in the passing game to be a long-term keeper.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Shout this as loud as you can now, because the window is rapidly closing on how long you can say stuff like this. Cutler is 18-8 the last two seasons, led the Bears to an NFC title game and until he got hurt Sunday was QBing what many believe is the hottest team in the NFL save the Packers of course. Cutler is only 28 and he has many more good seasons left in Chicago. He got over the crazy interception numbers his first year (which were overstated anyways due to WR errors and tipped balls inflating the final #) and has been a good QB for the Bears.

Kyle Orton doesn't have a starting job in the NFL, if he was better than the QB described above, he would.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny7 View Post
I would make the trade a hundred times again to...
You think the Chicago coaching staff would? You gave up a ton of resources for Cutler, resources that could have been used to build a better team. That trade might have been justified if you got an elite quarterback, but that's obviously not what happened.

Quote:
why is orton on the bench?
Two reasons. First, he was never the long term answer to begin with. Second, he basically fell apart after we fired McDaniels.

Quote:
tebow he will take you no where...
So where did you get your crystal ball? We did go from 1-4 without Tebow to 5-5 with him, so that's saying something.

Quote:
cutlers out now even the play by play people can t believe his arm......
His arm strength has never been in dispute. It's the gray matter between his ears that is holding him back.

Quote:
to bad hes injured....will see you guys in 3 weeks...bears are 7-3 with him in the toughest division....
Believe me, I have mixed feelings. I was really hoping for an Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller induced concussion.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Shout this as loud as you can now, because the window is rapidly closing on how long you can say stuff like this.
Really? He's the 12th rated quarterback in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football