Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 08:22 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Hill is great but the Chiefs have a lot of great passing options and I think that this is a win-win trade for both teams not to mention the price tag to keep Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree it’s quite the accomplishment still.

The Patriots and Tom Brady have given some unrealistic expectations.

I remember after Rodgers and the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010 it seem nearly impossible that they wouldn’t be back to the Super Bowl at least two more times in the coming 3 or 4 years and go on to be the next great dynasty.

While the Chiefs have certainly had more success than that Packers team I think many also felt like they would win multiple Super Bowls with Mahomes and how the current roster is constructed. The Chiefs will still be a tough team next year and could find themselves back. But it’s definitely looking like the AFC is only getting tougher and more competitive as a whole. There was about a three year period in 2018, 19 and 20 where the Chiefs were clearly the dominant team of the conference by a good margin. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

Looking at the current landscape in the NFL I don’t see a team in either conference that has a feel of “oh yeah that team is gonna roll off three Super Bowl appearances in the next four years.” Over the last 20 years the only teams I got that feeling from besides the Patriots were the 2010 Packers, 2013 Seahawks and 2018 Chiefs. Chiefs probably lived up to the expectation the most of those three teams.
The key change was that going into their superbowl defense they were gutted by offensive line injuries. They then played all of the next season with a completely rebuilt O-line and it's amazing given that they did as well as they did.

It takes time (years) to build that sort of coherence and so there are clear reasons for the Chiefs not being the dominant looking team of a while back but they're on the upswing as that sorts out.

Take any superbowl winner and tell them you're going to completely replace their O-line in the off-season and what would anyone expect would be the result?

Old 03-29-2022, 06:05 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The key change was that going into their superbowl defense they were gutted by offensive line injuries. They then played all of the next season with a completely rebuilt O-line and it's amazing given that they did as well as they did.

It takes time (years) to build that sort of coherence and so there are clear reasons for the Chiefs not being the dominant looking team of a while back but they're on the upswing as that sorts out.

Take any superbowl winner and tell them you're going to completely replace their O-line in the off-season and what would anyone expect would be the result?
I'm hoping that this sets up the Chiefs as a dominant power for years. This trade somewhat mirrors the Hershel Walker trade that the bumbling Vikings did ages ago creating the multiple time Super Bowl championships for the Cowboys. Only difference is I do see is Hill being more productive for his new team than Walker was.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:05 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:

Injuries were certainly unfortunate. I'm not sure how that last super bowl would have played out if the Chiefs line was healthy. Can't say they would have likely won because they got blown the heck out. But I can say it likely would have been much closer at the least.

The real issue I think as I pointed out is that the entire conference has really gotten top heavy now. Chiefs were a tier above everyone else for three straight years in 2018-2020. Now it appears not only are they not above everyone else in the conference they might not even be above a couple teams in their own division. Not saying they are behind them, but even with them. Whereas for the last few seasons they were probably 2-3 tiers ahead of the next closets team in their division and full tier ahead of the next best team in the conference. It's going to be a dog fight in the NFC.

Chiefs will get better with the trade. But it feels like they have to get better just to keep pace. Same with my Bills.

Old 03-30-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Injuries were certainly unfortunate. I'm not sure how that last super bowl would have played out if the Chiefs line was healthy. Can't say they would have likely won because they got blown the heck out. But I can say it likely would have been much closer at the least.

The real issue I think as I pointed out is that the entire conference has really gotten top heavy now. Chiefs were a tier above everyone else for three straight years in 2018-2020. Now it appears not only are they not above everyone else in the conference they might not even be above a couple teams in their own division. Not saying they are behind them, but even with them. Whereas for the last few seasons they were probably 2-3 tiers ahead of the next closets team in their division and full tier ahead of the next best team in the conference. It's going to be a dog fight in the NFC.

Chiefs will get better with the trade. But it feels like they have to get better just to keep pace. Same with my Bills.
We'll see this fall and as always, injuries are part of the game so there is that ever present wildcard.

Regarding the Superbowl, Tampa won so no amount of speculation will change that lol. I mention it in regards to completely revamping their O-line and the impact of that.

I think as that O-line solidifies people are going to start finding out that they've got the Chiefs offense less "figured out" than they thought.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:08 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
We'll see this fall and as always, injuries are part of the game so there is that ever present wildcard.

Regarding the Superbowl, Tampa won so no amount of speculation will change that lol. I mention it in regards to completely revamping their O-line and the impact of that.

I think as that O-line solidifies people are going to start finding out that they've got the Chiefs offense less "figured out" than they thought.
Yes. It's game to game anyway. Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs offense in the divisional. It was the defense which had been playing in the second half of the season that underperformed for the Chiefs in that game.

And of course sometime half to half. Chiefs offense was lights out against the Bengals in the first half and then disappeared in the second half.

I like what the Chiefs did with Hill. Bills will have a similar decision come up next off-season with Stefon Diggs.

Old 07-29-2022, 06:02 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Chiefs are reportedly signing veteran defensive end Carlos Dunlap. He was good with the Seahawks, hopefully he’ll be good with the Chiefs.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s?platform=amp

Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes. It's game to game anyway. Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs offense in the divisional. It was the defense which had been playing in the second half of the season that underperformed for the Chiefs in that game.

And of course sometime half to half. Chiefs offense was lights out against the Bengals in the first half and then disappeared in the second half.

I like what the Chiefs did with Hill. Bills will have a similar decision come up next off-season with Stefon Diggs.
It will be interesting to see how all the additions to the Broncos etc. pan out, it is clearly a tough division and the "on paper" improvements may not materialize.

Additionally, unlike my NFC team (Bears) division there is no easy pickings like the lions and bears that you get to play twice.

A decent team could easily end up under .500 in the AFC west

Old 08-06-2022, 09:44 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Anyone hearing the front office "might" consider shopping #15?

It's just scuttlebutt, so far...

Old 08-07-2022, 06:55 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Anyone hearing the front office "might" consider shopping #15?

It's just scuttlebutt, so far...
And who would play the position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football