Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 AM

72 posts, read 279,518 times

Advertisements

LeBron James watched the Cleveland Browns get shut out by Baltimore on Monday night and came to one simple conclusion: He could help.

"If I put all my time and commitment into it, if I dedicated myself to the game of football, I could be really good," the Cavaliers superstar said before facing the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday night. "No matter what team I was on."

Moderator cut: copyright issues
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...yQMpwD9C1KP203

Last edited by Marka; 12-22-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,745 times
Good Buffalo will take anyone now. Maybe we should do what the Eagles did and have open tryouts lol

Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
LebRon need to remember that he was much bigger than everyone else in High School ball. In the NFL many guys are bigger and faster than he is...not many taller, but they are muscled up.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
LeBron is thick, i think he goes around 260 - i think he could probably be a WR or a TE - I think he'd be too tall for a RB and some of the other positions

Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
If he were truly serious, I think a lot of teams would be willing to take a chance on him.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,831 times
I'm a believer that great athletes would generally be at least good athletes in other sports, had circumstance led them there or had they fully given their hearts and time to the other sports. Tiger Woods probably has better hand-eye coordination than you'd find in a great MLB hitter. Had Jordan not finally made the hoops team in 11th grade, maybe with all his focus he ends a baseball great. I'm sure with all his athleticism and competitiveness, Michael Phelps could have made in other sports. Although your average soccer player is probably 5'10", I'd say Kobe would have been a good one there (even has a background in it).

Not saying they'd be better in other sports, but I do think the difference between a very good athlete and great one is more than physical, and LeBron certainly has that greatness factor.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
LeBron is a physcal specimen. The mental toughness issue wouldn't be an issue. He's already there. I agree with him. Of all the pro basketball players in the game, I think he would have the best shot at being a very good NFL player.

There have been others in the past. An absolute lock for being an NFL player was Charles Barkley. Can you imagine what caliber of wide receiver Michael Jordan would have been had he concentrated of football in high school instead? What cornerback would have wanted to guard against him running the fade route in the endzone, knowing you have to outjump him for the ball.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
LeBron is a physcal specimen. The mental toughness issue wouldn't be an issue. He's already there. I agree with him. Of all the pro basketball players in the game, I think he would have the best shot at being a very good NFL player.

There have been others in the past. An absolute lock for being an NFL player was Charles Barkley. Can you imagine what caliber of wide receiver Michael Jordan would have been had he concentrated of football in high school instead? What cornerback would have wanted to guard against him running the fade route in the endzone, knowing you have to outjump him for the ball.
You wouldn't know that he would of been a great jumper then wouldn't you if he just concentrated on high school football instead.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:25 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Michael Jordan thought he could star in baseball:

Michael Jordan Batting Statistics - The Baseball Cube

Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Michael Jordan thought he could star in baseball:

Michael Jordan Batting Statistics - The Baseball Cube
My god, Jordan took up the game after his career playing basketball was winding down.

I firmly believe, having played college baseball, amateur baseball till my mid 30's and coached/managed up until a few years ago, that the hardest one thing to learn to do in sports is to hit the pitching of a professional level pitcher. You have to progress into it over your lifetime. My best year of hitting was the last year I played even though I was running out less infield hits.

Jordon is an athletic marvel. Had he always stayed in baseball, I for one think he'd have been a star. What did he take off, something like 15 years since he played in a competitive baseball game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football