Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Now that the Saints are going to the Super Bowl, it seems the NFL is claiming ownership of "Who Dat", a phrase that came about from a song no one in the NFL had anything to do with. Now they're telling shops to stop selling "who dat" T-shirts and merchandise. Seems the guys who wrote the song that includes "who dat" might get into the act since their song is copywrighted.
NFL orders shops to stop selling 'Who Dat' gear | wwltv.com | New Orleans News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
Wow another way for the NFL to get money. It's the people of New Orleans choice not the NFL. They might as well start owning nicknames too.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Wow another way for the NFL to get money. It's the people of New Orleans choice not the NFL. They might as well start owning nicknames too.
No more "dirty bird", no more "cheese heads",

Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Who dat is such a lame ripoff of Who dey.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
If these non licensed shirts have the Saints fleur de lis, the NFL would have a right to impose. If it is just a plain gold shirt with WHO DAT on the front, then they shouldn't be able to impose. The NFL owns all the logos of the teams so I can understand both sides.

I heard some conversation about this this morning on the The Opening Drive on my Sirius radio and that is what Randy Cross (or Peter King, I don't remember who) said too (from what i posted above).

Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
I do not follow football so am not familar with the whole controversy. I do find it disconcerting how short people's (ie.the NFL) memories are. Has all the news about the terrible disaster in Haiti pushed the terrible disaster in New Orleans from Katrina out of their memory? Something wonderful has happened for the citizens in and around New Orleans. If they want to be a part of it, and it helps their economy get back on its feet, in however small a way, shame on NFL for not being more supportive. These aren't people looking for a hand out. These are people looking to make thier own way through a commercial enterprise. It would seem that the NFL has the legal resources to figure out a compromise that benefits everyone.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM

thank you. The NFL pratically owns everything. the fans started the "Who Dat?" The NFL has no right trying to take it, and if they do the people of New Orleans will stop using it and come up with something else.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
If these non licensed shirts have the Saints fleur de lis, the NFL would have a right to impose. If it is just a plain gold shirt with WHO DAT on the front, then they shouldn't be able to impose. The NFL owns all the logos of the teams so I can understand both sides.

Yes, this would be a trademark infringement. Thus, illegal.

Overview of Trademark Law

Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
But the saints symbol of the fleur De lis is a old adopted symbol used by the saints. Who Dat comes from a musical group that sothern university picked up on . The NFL is in a loosing position on this one and i wouldn't be surpirsed to see a reaction at the game.They need to let it go.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But the saints symbol of the fleur De lis is a old adopted symbol used by the saints. Who Dat comes from a musical group that sothern university picked up on . The NFL is in a loosing position on this one and i wouldn't be surpirsed to see a reaction at the game.They need to let it go.
Thank Yooouuuu. See you later NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football