Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

2005 Honda FourTrax Rincon (TRX650FA) ATV

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

For quite a while I had been researching all of the different big-bore ATV's, wanting to get back into a new quad. For a long time I did a lot of searching, riding, and reading before stepping into a 2005 Honda Rincon.
The reason I chose the 2005 Rincon is because it had an independent rear suspension, and it seems to be a really good trail ride. Where I live there are lots of rough trails, so anything that was equipped to handle them would be a better choice for me. First off, I want to discuss the power and the motor. Power is excellent in this quad, and you will hit a wheelie if you go wide open on the throttle and pull back hard on the bars. It's not super strong, but Hondas are known over anything else for their reliability and longevity. Honda engines are known for their build quality, and the fact that they last so long, so choosing a Honda over some other engine means choosing to own the bike for a longer time.
The strongest feature for the Rincon would have to be its suspension and handling. Although that is stymied by the three-speed transmission, it still turns very easily and accurately. It's also easy to brake loose and power-slide the rear end. It's awesome for riding on open roads, logging, or fire roads as well. The faster you go the better you feel, and you always feel in control of your machine and the road. The IRS especially helps handle the rough logging roads because it has such a good amount of ground clearance.
The main problem as I see it is the three speed transmission's issues when driving up and down really steep hills. The first gear is too tall for serious trail riding in very rugged and steep conditions. You cannot crawl at really low speeds on technical trails. It's simply not made to go that slow with, but it can go REALLY fast. This is a great bike in the flat or hilly country, but not in the "hollers" where I live where almost everything is as challenging as the most steep technical hills.
Long story short, the 650cc Rincon is an excellent bike for regular logging trails, flats, and most offroading. But when it gets really squirelly, you're probably going to want something with better gears, or that is designed for technical hills and challenges. I would recommend this quad for most recreational riding, scouting, and riding in general, but not when things get really tough. It's quality, and has Honda reliability, but for specific jobs you need the right tool, and this was not the right tool for me.

Review by professional reviewer, Oct. 2, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews