Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,607,942 times

Advertisements

Rival 5-Speed Blender (BL-706)

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I purchased the Rival 5-Speed Blender (MSRP $12.99) nearly a year ago and used it for about a month before its untimely demise after I put it in the dishwasher. I chose it because it was the cheapest blender available and I did not plan to use it often. The simple white base and lid, paired with a clear plastic cup, seemed to be ideal choice for our kitchen, which had a few other white appliances. I also liked that the blender's cup is a bit rounder than others, making it squat rather than tall, which is the style of most blender cups.

I used the blender for making smoothies and milkshakes. It did its job pretty well for being so inexpensive, though it did sometimes leave a few small chunks of frozen fruit or ice floating in the mixture. I never tried to use the blender to make anything other than smoothies and milkshakes, but its settings suggest that it can be used for a variety of applications. There are buttons in the front for each of its functions: Chop, Mix, Grate, Blend, and Liquefy. There is also an Off button, which provides a pulse function when pressed. The instruction manual for the product suggests that it can be used to chop nuts, garlic, herbs and onions; mix pancake batter, smoothies and milkshakes; grate veggies and cheese; puree fruits and veggies (as for baby food); and liquefy to create icy drinks. I didn't have an opportunity to use all of those functions, so I cannot say how well it performs in each situation.

This blender is fairly easy to clean. With a minimal number of small parts to separate and wash, it requires less washing than some blenders. Handwashing is essential, though--do not consider purchasing this product if you are looking for a blender that can be washed in a dishwasher.

This product's life was cut short when I placed it in the dishwasher on a normal setting. While the blender's instruction booklet explicitly states, "jar (container) may be placed in dishwasher WITHOUT lid, collar and cutting blade assembly," the jar was completely misshapen when I removed it, rendering it useless. I had had handwashed the smaller accoutrements, but decided to put the cup in the dishwasher to get it extra clean. Since the lid no longer fit the oddly-shaped container, blending would have been impossible. I searched for a replacement cup online, but was unable to find one.

The blender works well considering its super low price. If you are looking for a blender with basic functions and are willing to handwash (in spite of what the instructions say), this is a product to consider, particularly if you do not plan to use it often.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews