Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has some recommendations on a good self-help book.

Background - my problem is that I am low key, even keeled guy, I guess some would say I appear emotionless. I have tons of emotions - on the inside.

I come home from work and don't say anything about my day to my wife. I don't know why.

So I'm looking for a book(s) that deal with opening up, working on marriage, communicating better, things along those lines. In other words, how can I provide emotional support and open the lines of communication?

I am going to seek therapy so I am not looking for the book to be the cure, just some reinforcement and additional things for me to think about.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:01 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
This is a link to a free online self-help book (collection of articles) and covers probably every issue that could exist: Online Self-Help Book for Mental Health, Mental Illness I hope this is an OK link to provide because it is an excellent resource.

I applaud your effort because what you describes gets worse with age if you already haven't noticed that. I think this self-help book can help you formulate the direction you want to take. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
There are some self-help books out there that may be helpful to you... but they are only guides.

If they inspire you into positive action, then you are getting what you need out of it.

Here's something you might try with the wife;

Go home to her and ask her how her day was.

Then listen

Then listen some more...

... even if you find you don't want to. Hear her out until she's done or hit a reasonable pause. Then think of something interesting that happened to you that day. Now's a good time to practice humor. Humor solves probably about 50% of our problems.

Now... if you do this, I think it's good to go easy on yourself. It takes practice and patience.

I like to inventory my day; was I selfish, dishonest, resentful, fearful? Was I kind and loving towards all? What could I have done better?

That type of thing.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM

256 posts, read 480,339 times
"Be your own shrink" by Dr. Leman
Amazon.com: Be Your Own Shrink (9780800787301): Dr. Kevin Leman: Books

Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Wondering if anyone has some recommendations on a good self-help book.

Background - my problem is that I am low key, even keeled guy, I guess some would say I appear emotionless. I have tons of emotions - on the inside.

I come home from work and don't say anything about my day to my wife. I don't know why.

So I'm looking for a book(s) that deal with opening up, working on marriage, communicating better, things along those lines. In other words, how can I provide emotional support and open the lines of communication?

I am going to seek therapy so I am not looking for the book to be the cure, just some reinforcement and additional things for me to think about.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a website. Started by a guy like you.

Emotional Competency - Explore the Logic of Passion

Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
McGowDog...Great advice! And so simple too! Just come home and ask your spouse about his or her day with sincere interest and full attention!..Then "share back!" I really enjoyed your post and advice!...I take "inventory" of my behavior during the day too. How can we make any improvements if we don't critique and evaluate our current behavior and "performance" on a daily basis? I know that I always have "room for improvement!"

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times
HS_DUDE...Good luck on your quest to "open-up" more!.. Did you see the movie "About Schmidt" with Jack Nickelson? The husband in the movie kept most things "inside." This was the way that he felt he was supposed to "act" as a man and husband and father..My Dad wasn't as "silent" as "Schmidt" was in the movie. But I always felt sad that my Dad didn't "open-up" more so I would have had a better chance to get to "know him" before it was too late and he died...My Dad wasn't a "nothing" or inconsequential in my eyes! I had his genes inside of me and his blood running through me too! My Dad was just as important to me as my Mother was! And I "longed" to get to know all I could about my Dad too!...I didn't want my Dad to be a "stick-figure" standing in the background behind my Mother...I wanted him to step-up front and take his "rightful place" and "open-up" so I could get to know him better!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
Achieve Anything In Just One Year by Jason Harvey is a good book for really getting you to examine what you want out of life.

You seem to want to change, this book gets you to understand why you want to change and to what end.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:51 PM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
An old book but a good read by Christopher Lasch "The Minimal Self" It gives complex coping strategies in a heartless world. It gives some of the coping/survival strategies the Jews used during the holocaust. You can't go wrong with Sun Tzu's "Art Of War." Robert Greene wrote a brilliant book "The 33 Strategies Of War." Sometimes as a man, you need to be a strategist to feel good about yourself when your relationship with your spouse or significant other is broken.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 PM

826 posts, read 1,894,069 times
Intimate Connections by David Burns. I highly recommend this book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology