Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I'm female, I never had the desire to go to an all female school or college. Personally, having been the target of mean girl type of behavior in junior high and at some workplaces, I find the whole sisterly solidarity thing to be a myth, though I do have many female friends I like and trust.

But other women have different needs, wants and experiences. I remember in the publicity surrounding the Phoebe Prince case, a woman wrote in either an article about it or in comments to an article that she went through something similar and being at an all women college helped her heal from it.

Some women are intimidated by men being assertive in class and need a different environment to foster their own assertiveness.

Not my cup of tea personally, but I think options are good for people to have.

The situation you describe may be part of a reaction to the double standard. Women can be harshly judged for their sexuality. IMO, if you would judge a man the same way as you did the woman in the commercial, then that's not sexism. But a lot of people do judge a woman differently. Without knowing more about the commercial in question, it's hard to say
Good constructive post. You really cover all the angles. Thanks.

The last time I saw these girls, they were 9-ish/10-ish and, unlike most of my friends who have daughters who actually engage me in conversation, they were more sullen back then, so I stayed away from where they and their friends were interacting and did the small talk thing with the parents and other adults at the house. After such a long span of not being in contact with them, their behavior was kind of surprising ... and offputting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 AM

398 posts, read 545,879 times
I'm not altogether sure what to make of your question....or your thread, Robert.

Are you making a case for people choosing a same-sex college as evidence of Homosexuality? I mean, its true that it IS homosexual behavior...but then...so it joining some units of the Military, or joining the Boy Scouts for that matter. Homosexual Behavior does not automatically indicate that a person is Homosexual.

Are you making a case for women mixing in a co-ed education. If you are, I gotta say that as a teacher I have seen Males in High School and Junior College shout-down and---yes--- intimidate their female counterparts. If I had my druthers I'druther that young women would find their voices in a co-ed environment. Absent that, though, I would hold that a woman find her voice ANYWHERE....and know that it could be valued as much as another person...male or female. If I could arrange it, I think every girl in America should handcuffed for 30 days to Madeline Albright, the former Secy of State...but thats just me.

Are you making a case for/against Marketing or the Media? Guess what, fella, opinions are just like........well you know the drill. Glad to hear these girls had an opinion. I'm a bit sorry to here that they let you shout them down. Nice going, I guess.

FWIW.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
I'm not altogether sure what to make of your question....or your thread, Robert.

Are you making a case for/against Marketing or the Media? Guess what, fella, opinions are just like........well you know the drill. Glad to hear these girls had an opinion. I'm a bit sorry to here that they let you shout them down. Nice going, I guess.
Oh, please, I already said I'd "cut to the chase." Yes, I was questioning whether this pronounced feminist slant and selection of all-women colleges was potentially indicative that they might not like men. Funny, because everyone thinks their Dad is a "great guy" and he is actually assertive, but his wife is also a steel magnolia.

Sorry about what? That I didn't like Lena Dunham (had no clue who she was) in her commercial for Obama. I voted for him. Do a YouTube search and watch it. I thought the commercial was cheap and find this girl distasteful. I voiced my opinion. How they took it personally, I don't know. Because they decided to dig in, and then their Mom needed to play back up, I decided to fire back. The parents are Romney fans. My friendship with a few people has ended over this election and that's cool. With most people, they were already on the periphery, so I feel no loss whatsoever.

Is it more clear now?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 PM

676 posts, read 1,262,022 times
Here's the ad in question (I'd heard about it, hadn't seen it):

YouTube

i didn't find it offensive. It's attention getting with the "first time" bit. So on an ad level, it worked. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on it and you would find a male actor doing a similar ad distasteful as well, so I don't really see your dislike of it as sexist.

But the fact is that access to reproductive freedom, including contraception is a big issue for most women. Not being able to determine if/when you have children or not being able to afford the contraception which allows you to do so has a major impact on one's life. It affects the ability to earn income and what one is going to do with one's financial and emotional resources. And yes, I do feel badly for men who are "oopsed" or if their partner has an abortion against his wishes. But legally, since it's the woman who has to deal with the physical and the brunt of the emotional consequences to a pregnancy, she's the one who gets to choose.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Here's the ad in question (I'd heard about it, hadn't seen it):

YouTube
Everyone's entitled to their opinion on it and you would find a male actor doing a similar ad distasteful as well, so I don't really see your dislike of it as sexist.
I didn't like the girl and the accoutrements. Ditto for a similar guy. It was a personal taste issue, about its vibe of gratuitous precociousness. It wasn't about the political message, really. So, yes, we are in agreement.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM

676 posts, read 1,262,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I didn't like the girl and the accoutrements. Ditto for a similar guy. It was a personal taste issue, about its vibe of gratuitous precociousness. It wasn't about the political message, really. So, yes, we are in agreement.
Yes, we pretty much are. I thought the ad was overly cutesy, but made an important point.

When I do disagree with someone, I'm usually interested in their reasoning process and I'm willing to consider a bunch of possibilities. But I've learned many people aren't. They'll be happy to stick a label on someone like "sexist".

Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM

398 posts, read 545,879 times
Eh.... I don't know what the issue is about the commercial.

I found it provocative and entertaining. Not sure what anyone elses' issues are.

FWIW.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,395 times
I just saw the add. It's the last thing I would have imagined you were referring to when you used the word "skanky".

What exactly did you object to again? The sexual inuendo? Her appearance? Something else?

I have another question. You mentioned that you wondered if the choice to go to an all female college was indicative of their sexual orientation. I think the answer to that question simply depends on the person making the choice.
My question is, what if it was because the person was gay? Do you object to that for some reason? I realize this is a loaded question, but that fact that you asked the question makes me wonder what motivated you to ask it.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Good constructive post. You really cover all the angles. Thanks.

The last time I saw these girls, they were 9-ish/10-ish and, unlike most of my friends who have daughters who actually engage me in conversation, they were more sullen back then, so I stayed away from where they and their friends were interacting and did the small talk thing with the parents and other adults at the house. After such a long span of not being in contact with them, their behavior was kind of surprising ... and offputting.
Your posts are reading more and more like "dingler"
a hypothetical acquaintance? WHY does it matter to you? really?.

An undergrad psych degree is up to them. Not as many of the Big East schools are "all female" anymore. Not even Smith College in Northampton Massachusetts, and its a well reputed private school.

What college are you referring to exactly?.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Your posts are reading more and more like "dingler"
a hypothetical acquaintance? WHY does it matter to you? really?.

What college are you referring to exactly?.
The acquaintance is not hypothetical. He was a friend from grad school. Differing political views cooled the friendship. I felt that I should be able to make the comment I did, generational rather than sexist, without having his daughters and, then his wife, get on my case. I'm sure the friendship will fall to the wayside. So be it.

The colleges are all-women colleges in the East, without naming names. They are all-women "Seven Sisters" schools. If there is any male enrollment, I'm sure it's negligible. I don't know what they are majoring in. They were so sullen, I didn't bother to ask too many questions. Based on HS club activities of one of the daughters, I'm guessing she's majoring in economics. I don't think either of them is majoring in psychology.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 11-25-2012 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology