Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

well, just from skimming (not watching the you tube) Id say if you are saying "no loss" then why post on it?.

I dont interject opinions on how/what a persons kids are doing in school (dont actually care, unless its a blood relative). Its inappropriate, imo, if you actually are friends with this guy.

If not, cut your losses. No biggie. Not saying you, but I notice alot of passive aggressive people like to post on the "parenting" forum, and they dont even have kids, or their kids are grown and gone.

It seems they are projecting their own issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I have an acquaintance who has two daughters, both in their late teens. Both of them have selected, and enrolled, in all-women colleges. They are good, recognizable schools, but not top drawer. There are good coed private colleges where they could have easily been admitted. With the exception of a military academy, I don't know if other all-men colleges exist, let alone why someone would want to attend one. (Catholic HSs who were single-sex found themselves going coed or merging the adjacent brother-sister schools in order to survive).

The reason I ask is because they "treated" me to a lesson in feminism subsequent to an observation of something in the media, choosing to make it a sexist issue rather than one about bad taste, which it was. As someone who could have been their father, that didn't sit with me. I "treated" them to a lesson in "it is what it is," generational societal norms, and respecting their elders. They backed down.

If your offspring chose to attend a single-sex college, would you be scratching your head? Would this be further heightened if it was accompanied by already pronounced feminist ideologies? I'm wondering what most people on C-D Psychology would think. Let's keep it civil.
By the time they go to college they are adults, I probably would just respect the decision they made.
I don't think it means someone is homosexual just because they are a feminist or attend an all female college,lol. That is a pretty big assumption.
Even if they are -so? (Like I said they are adults, it is their business, not anyone else's)

Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"The reason I ask is because they "treated" me to a lesson in feminism subsequent to an observation of something in the media, choosing to make it a sexist issue rather than one about bad taste, which it was."

What does this mean?

One of the reasons for choosing an all female-college is the pleasure of not having men butting in their opinions in class, talking over and over-riding women's voices. Another reason is the feeling of solidarity which ensues when women are surrounded by other brilliant women.
Exactly. OP...Who are you to override their opinions?? Sounds like you treated them to just another version of "My opinion is more important than yours"....patting their heads. Sharing opinions is one thing...beating someone over the head w/ your opion is another. Not a lesson worth learning here.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
well, just from skimming (not watching the you tube) Id say if you are saying "no loss" then why post on it?.

I dont interject opinions on how/what a persons kids are doing in school (dont actually care, unless its a blood relative). Its inappropriate, imo, if you actually are friends with this guy.

If not, cut your losses. No biggie. Not saying you, but I notice alot of passive aggressive people like to post on the "parenting" forum, and they dont even have kids, or their kids are grown and gone.

Bingo!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Perhaps they want to hang out for a few years in an environment where they're not living and breathing for the purpose of being judged by their sexuality or lack thereof. I'm no feminist, in particular, I think women and men can be awful, or great, or whatever...I think the feminist movement had the unfortunate consequence of making it hard for women to have the choice of traditional "stay at home mom" (unless Dad makes a lot of money, it's economically difficult.) Yet women should certainly be able to set themselves to whatever path they choose. Be that corporate leadership, engineering, housewife, prostitute, lesbian talk show host...who cares?

But back to my point. During high school and college, there is a really heightened sexual thing going on with the simple fact of the ages involved. Females are judged in these environments by who they date or sleep with, or who they don't. I can think of no more repugnant group of human beings to be around, than a bunch of frat boys. They don't want to take no for an answer. They like to party, get the girls drunk, take advantage. If a girl manages to avoid being the victim of all of this, she might still get a reputation...whether that of a prude, or one somebody decided to make up. Yet these same guys, once they MATURE a while, can become good men, once the 18 year old male's urgency has mellowed out a little. They become a little less inclined to sow wild oats, and a little more inclined to "look for The One". And that, sir, is my dose to you on "it is what it is."

I don't find it odd at all that a girl would want to use her years at school to focus and learn, especially if she's wanting to wait to become a wife and mother until she's figured out who she is...or maybe doesn't want to become that, at all. It sounds, from the excessive defense of the girl on the commercial, that they feel easily threatened by male perceptions of women. The way that high school students treat each other...it isn't reality either. It's brutal, even when it's only words and opinions. And speaking from a "generational" place, it's worse now than it was when you were there. So their desire to get free of that world for a little while isn't alarming nor necessarily indicative of lesbianism.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Correct. Exactly what I thought. And what those issues are, I don't know. At any rate, walking on eggshells is never fun, especially with people (their parents) with whom the rapport had always been casual.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM

I'm curious about something, too...

Were you there as a guest in their home, when you put the Mom "in her place?"

Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Oh i agree- people walking on eggshells= time to terminate that "friendship"

btdt. never again.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm curious about something, too...

Were you there as a guest in their home, when you put the Mom "in her place?"
Yes. But our dynamics have been casual for years. This is the first time the Mom did this, seeing her daughters weren't effective. The Mom said "Looks like you need another degree..." and that didn't sit well with me.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Hm. Well it sounds like unfortunate things were perhaps said on both sides, good thing this casual friendship is not important to you. It seems as though it isn't really a good social match of people to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology