Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I just got back from a week long trip, visiting the family in Germany. Now that I'm back home, back to work, and normal life continues, I feel depressed. It seems like every trip, since I can remember I've been like this! I even recall being 7 or 8 years old, crying on my bed after a trip from Germany. My mom came and sat by me, asking what was wrong "I miss Germany" I said and I wanted to go back. Obviously, we couldn't just book tickets to go back, but that has stuck in my mind.
The odd part about this trip, though was that I had a bad time. It was decided right off, on day one since I've gotten "fat" (my grandma's words), that I would wake up at 7AM each day to go for a walk with her to go the bakery. The walk would do me good. Day two, I attempted to shut off the tv, but it seems I only shut off the satellite, and in turn made my grandma real nervous shouting "you've gone and broke my tv! You broke my tv". I was able to fix it, and told her that I don't need the tv and will not use it, again. The next day, however, the tv was on "radio" mode (I guess she can get tv and radio on her tv) and she came to me accusing me of breaking her tv, again! I told her that I didn't touch it and don't have plans to touch it the rest of my trip. Months ago, I said that there was only one thing I wanted to do; go to the Hamburg Model Museum. I was very excited to see the model airport, and only being a hour or so train ride away, it was very easy to do. My grandma said that the line would be too long and took it upon herself to cancel that trip. It was just me and my cousin, but she told my cousin that we'd have to wait for hours in the cold.
Deep breath....couldn't wait to get home. Got to the point where I said "I'm never coming back, if I wanted to sit on the couch and play online for a week, I could've stayed here", but of course, came to my senses and realized that the bigger part was visiting with my family, all of whom are getting older. Now that I'm home I'm in this funk. I decided to google this, and I guess it is sort of common. I think my big "problem" is I do a lot of pre-vacation things. From count down calendars (crossing off the days), to coundtown apps, airline apps, researchign the connecting airports and so fourth.

Do you get like this? If so, how do you cope?

Last edited by leadingedge04; 11-27-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I've found that if I am not planning (obsessively) any major endeavor at any given moment, I feel kind of aimless and almost depressed. Certainly bummed out, unhappy.

February is without fail my least favorite month for just this reason. No major holidays for me to make plans for, too soon for me to plan vacations, travel, concerts, etc. Just nothing usually going on that month. I hate it. Plus I don't like winter, and by Feb. I'm totally sick to death of it!

Suggestions...redirect your mind maybe. Look for a good book to read, a new project to plan and/or execute. Something to take your mind off of it until the emotion fades and you can remember it with a little better perspective...until the next time.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
go to dairy queen and order a large oreo cookie blizzard

puts me in a better mood

Old 11-29-2012, 01:47 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I once read a forumula, one time, for vacation recovery, which holds true with me.

Take a one week vacation, it will take you 3 weeks to recover fully. Multiply by 3!

3 day mini-vacation: 9 days!

One month: 3 months!

That's one reason I don't do long vacations anymore, too much recovery time! Too much time being depressed!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
I do not like arriving home from a vacation during the day, even if it's just a weekend trip. It makes the remainder of the day feel wasted, and it gives me several extra hours to wish that I was still on vacation, which then makes me feel very sad. I have to arrive home at night. Sure, I'll feel a bit sad when I get home, but I won't have to dwell on it for long because I'll be going to sleep shortly thereafter. Regardless of when I get home, though, I always feel OK the next day.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
That's for all the replies. Nearly a week back into my "old life" and I feel better. I do look forward to the next trip, whenever that'll be, but was able to put energy towards work, finanical commitments. I do find myself on airlines' websites looking at trips.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM

666 posts, read 1,292,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hey guys,
I just got back from a week long trip, visiting the family in Germany. Now that I'm back home, back to work, and normal life continues, I feel depressed. It seems like every trip, since I can remember I've been like this! I even recall being 7 or 8 years old, crying on my bed after a trip from Germany. My mom came and sat by me, asking what was wrong "I miss Germany" I said and I wanted to go back. Obviously, we couldn't just book tickets to go back, but that has stuck in my mind.
The odd part about this trip, though was that I had a bad time. It was decided right off, on day one since I've gotten "fat" (my grandma's words), that I would wake up at 7AM each day to go for a walk with her to go the bakery. The walk would do me good. Day two, I attempted to shut off the tv, but it seems I only shut off the satellite, and in turn made my grandma real nervous shouting "you've gone and broke my tv! You broke my tv". I was able to fix it, and told her that I don't need the tv and will not use it, again. The next day, however, the tv was on "radio" mode (I guess she can get tv and radio on her tv) and she came to me accusing me of breaking her tv, again! I told her that I didn't touch it and don't have plans to touch it the rest of my trip. Months ago, I said that there was only one thing I wanted to do; go to the Hamburg Model Museum. I was very excited to see the model airport, and only being a hour or so train ride away, it was very easy to do. My grandma said that the line would be too long and took it upon herself to cancel that trip. It was just me and my cousin, but she told my cousin that we'd have to wait for hours in the cold.
Deep breath....couldn't wait to get home. Got to the point where I said "I'm never coming back, if I wanted to sit on the couch and play online for a week, I could've stayed here", but of course, came to my senses and realized that the bigger part was visiting with my family, all of whom are getting older. Now that I'm home I'm in this funk. I decided to google this, and I guess it is sort of common. I think my big "problem" is I do a lot of pre-vacation things. From count down calendars (crossing off the days), to coundtown apps, airline apps, researchign the connecting airports and so fourth.

Do you get like this? If so, how do you cope?
I believe that one factor that contributes that this situation which I believe is natural since it happens to me when I go to my home island of Puerto Rico is that the workplace today has become a place in which one is no longer happy. Even if we do something we like, the level of stress, the competition, the gossiping, the pressure, it is extenuating and it boosts unhappiness.

I certainly believe that while traveling is excellent (I love traveling!) most humans would be much better if they were able to live in their home places. It is a tendency I have been able to notice. Unfortunately the way business runs today, the levels of unsafety, crime, poverty, lack of jobs, etc. force people all over the world to move. Sometimes where they move they like it and they get used to it, but it never feels like home. For example I now live in Tampa, my favorite area in the US (so far). Located in a privileged area with a moderate subtropical climate, close to good beaches, a nice urban area, and even some hills north, but it does not surpass on Puerto Rico in terms of the level of happiness because PR is exaggeratedly beautiful; it is located in a much better climatic zone than Tampa (for my likes), it has REAL MOUNTAINS, caves, waterfalls, better beaches, and much more natural variety than Florida. But it also possesses a ridiculous high crime, an incredibly high unemployment level and a mediocre quality of life, which forces me, and more than half of Puerto Ricans, to live in areas must of us do NOT like better than Puerto Rico.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
I'm always depressed when I come back from Europe, specifically the Mediterranean zone. I don't want to come back to our political correctness and lack of "dolce vita" mentality.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
I guess I am unusual ... I always find the IDEA of travel better than the reality. Kinda like most things in life.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,668,043 times
You're not alone, I get post vacation depression every time I go on vacation, a lot of people do. When you're on vacation it's relaxing, you don't have to work, you get to see things you wouldn't normally, see people you haven't seen for a while, vacation is such a change of pace, that when you have to return to "normal" life, it feels like you've hit a brick wall, depressing. After a few weeks I adjust back to normal life and eagerly await the next vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology