Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,188,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yesterday morning on the way to work, I floored it to cut in front of a car when I was merging onto a 2 lane road. That person got mad (as evidenced by the subsequent tailgating), and thinks I'm an aggressive, impatient driver and a bit*h....yesterday afternoon on the way home, I stopped in the street and waved a family on bikes across the street...they waved thanks at me and think I'm a patient driver and a really nice person.

Which of those statements is "truth"? Am I a bit*h, or a really nice person? Both and neither. IMO truth and reality are always dependent on perspective.
I believe there's what we PERCEIVE as reality and then there is actual REALITY. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't, but that doesn't alter reality at all.

The reality is that sometimes you drive in an aggressive manner and sometimes you don't. This trait comes out at times when you believe the situation requires it. Now are you a *****? I don't know. But if, over a period of time, you drive aggressively more than not, and more aggressively than other people, then yes, you are an aggressive driver. If you have repeated scenarios in which you floor your accelerator, cut people off, tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, etc. then the reality is that you're probably an aggressive driver. No matter what you or the family on the bicycles think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,457,461 times
Kathryn,
My aunt had a breakdown once....what is with the Russians....same thing.
And a friend, temporary break....some sort of spies all over, not Russian for him.
So sorry.
Take care, sis.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:52 AM

51,056 posts, read 36,771,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I believe there's what we PERCEIVE as reality and then there is actual REALITY. Sometimes we get it right and sometimes we don't, but that doesn't alter reality at all.

The reality is that sometimes you drive in an aggressive manner and sometimes you don't. This trait comes out at times when you believe the situation requires it. Now are you a *****? I don't know. But if, over a period of time, you drive aggressively more than not, and more aggressively than other people, then yes, you are an aggressive driver. If you have repeated scenarios in which you floor your accelerator, cut people off, tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, etc. then the reality is that you're probably an aggressive driver. No matter what you or the family on the bicycles think.
I don't want to argue, but I feel you are trying to apply black and white thinking to a philosophical question to which there are no absolute answers.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,317,184 times
You will find reality outside your front door, at the hospital, the undertakers, at an auto wrecking yard, in non-fiction books, and at the county courthouse!

What a person perceives to be reality can be different from what others perceive. For example I have a friend who has a dog which has an illness and only has two weeks to live.

I, my friends wife, and the dog's vet all think the dog only has a short time to live.

My friend (person closest to the dog emotionally) however insists the dog ate something and will recover soon.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,845,858 times
The nature of reality is based in nature itself. The finest nature of humanity is their capacity to truly love. This is old ancient knowledge based in a thing called LOGIC.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM

I perceive this table as a table; it is hard, sturdy, pretty, functional, expensive...
Yet, I know for a fact it is not a table at all.
HA!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Which of those statements is "truth"? Am I a bit*h, or a really nice person?
Both and neither. IMO truth and reality are always dependent on perspective.
Well, in this case of others' perspective, don't forget your own perspective and then there is
God's perspective

Always go with God's perspective...
Always.

And what is that? I can tell you for myself...I was always, am always and will be
always His princess, darling, loved little girl/child.
He sees only my shining soul and knows my heart only wants Him and to do what pleases Him.
He doesn't see my mistakes as I don't see or care about my doggy that peed in the house for 13 years*
and caught him once in action in all that time, lil chihauhau dachshund, bless his lil devil soul.

Always go with the Highest perspective of who you really are, ocngirl....glad it's not
OCDgirl, btw.

After 3 doggies passed in a year...I have only tile floors now....

Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I don't want to argue, but I feel you are trying to apply black and white thinking to a philosophical question to which there are no absolute answers.

I don't want to argue either, but I do believe in the existence of some absolutes.

Let me ask you a question, because this mindset of "perception is reality" is so odd to me - I honestly, HONESTLY do not understand how people apply this to real life.

OK, here's the question. My hair is brown. I mean - it IS brown. Not blonde, not red, not gray. It's brown. If someone, for whatever reason, believes my hair is pink, it doesn't change the fact that it's brown, does it? I mean - they may BELIEVE with all their heart that it's pink - but it's not. It may be pink TO THEM - but it's not pink in reality. Or is it? (That's the question.)

This reminds me of my mother's situation. She has had a stroke, which affected her optic nerve. So, consequently, she thinks that pictures on the wall, or anything centered, like a centerpiece on a table, is off center. To her, everything should be moved to the right, and if she moves it to the right, to her eye, it's centered on the table - when the reality is that it's way over to the right and not at ALL centered on the table. But she can't see that - and she's in denial about the long term effects of her stroke, so she will ARGUE with you about it. She BELIEVES with all her heart that the centerpiece is in the middle of the table. It's not. I mean, it's just NOT.

Now - if she would say to me, "It's my house. I like it better when I think it's centered. I don't care what other people think - to me, it's centered," I could understand that mindset better. But she thinks that suddenly, the whole rest of the world can't hang pictures straight or put things in the center of a table. She thinks everyone else is crazy and off kilter and she's the one with normal vision.

She can think what she wants, but the fact of the matter is that she doesn't put things in the center of any table.

Say I run a red light and a cop pulls me over and gives me a ticket. I didn't see the light as red, I saw it as green. I don't believe I ran the red light. I believe with all my heart it was green. But it wasn't - it was red. It just WAS. No matter how much I disagree.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
You will find reality outside your front door, at the hospital, the undertakers, at an auto wrecking yard, in non-fiction books, and at the county courthouse!

What a person perceives to be reality can be different from what others perceive. For example I have a friend who has a dog which has an illness and only has two weeks to live.

I, my friends wife, and the dog's vet all think the dog only has a short time to live.

My friend (person closest to the dog emotionally) however insists the dog ate something and will recover soon.
But if the dog has a terminal illness, then no matter how much your friend BELIEVES the dog only ate something that disagrees with him, that doesn't change the reality of the terminal illness.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,954,833 times
Realty is any touchable or tangible truth with facts that have been proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology