Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 02:55 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times

Advertisements

Is what is observable really all there is to reality, or do hidden layers of truth exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,602,759 times
Perception is reality.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,670,019 times
Is something I cannot perceive real?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Yes. There are many wonders in the world, my friend Horatio, that our sages never heard of (Hamlet).

1. Reality is subjective, as reality is determined by ones senses and ones mental interpretation of what senses present to him or her. In that manner, the only reality is consciousness, as consciousness is determining what a "reality" is perceived to be.
2. There are as many realities as there are individuals perceiving what they believe to be a reality. There are some common grounds for most of realities, but none 2 of them are same.
3. Plato had an interesting conversation on what reality is. He said: let us imagine an individual, that was born in a cave, chained to a wall, and spent entire life there. His firm belief will be that reality is a wall he is chained to, with some shadows, casted onto it by the light, coming from entry.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Btw, "scientific instruments"that give one objective data"about reality, are designed for human senses and are extension or amplification of such senses. Final data interpretation is done by ones mind and still stays subjective. Also, instruments, made for subjective senses, can not be any better, than what they are designed and made to help - human senses. No matter how sophisticated a tool or instrument will be, it has to produce a sound, a light, a taste, or a smell, or it will not be recognized by a human.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Is what is observable really all there is to reality,
or do hidden layers of truth exist?
Ok, this is my reality.
Nothing is what it seems.
The Creator is a Shapeshifter.
The Creator is experiencing "Himself" in ever particle and emtpy space on
every plane and dimension, unimaginable.
We can feel this Divine Presence that is within and without everything.
When we do we see all is Absolute Unending Bliss.
The only thing keeping a soul from experiencing Reality is it's own paper chains
of lack of understanding, focus and desire.

(And this didn't come from any book.)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ok, this is my reality.
Nothing is what it seems.
The Creator is a Shapeshifter.
The Creator is experiencing "Himself" in ever particle and emtpy space on
every plane and dimension, unimaginable.
We can feel this Divine Presence that is within and without everything.
When we do we see all is Absolute Unending Bliss.
The only thing keeping a soul from experiencing Reality is it's own paper chains
of lack of understanding, focus and desire.

(And this didn't come from any book.)
How might I see this? Is there a method?

Is there one truth, or many?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
How might I see this? Is there a method?
Is there one truth, or many?
Hmm, I think I will pm you, because I think you are serious, not just
casually asking.

I will say here, tho...a person has to go back to the basics...have a sincere heart,
have a sincere desire or longing to know God...then as in Psalm 46:10
"Be still and know that I am God."

Openness, prayer, meditation and patience...along with trust and eagerness.

Is there one Truth?
Since I have seen what to me is breathstopping, earthstopping awesome...
and that is like 'a grain of sand of all the sands on all the planets-small'...I couldn't
answer that.

But, I will say...precious is the heart that desires to know God, the Creator...up
close and personal.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Yesterday morning on the way to work, I floored it to cut in front of a car when I was merging onto a 2 lane road. That person got mad (as evidenced by the subsequent tailgating), and thinks I'm an aggressive, impatient driver and a bit*h....yesterday afternoon on the way home, I stopped in the street and waved a family on bikes across the street...they waved thanks at me and think I'm a patient driver and a really nice person.

Which of those statements is "truth"? Am I a bit*h, or a really nice person? Both and neither. IMO truth and reality are always dependent on perspective.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Perception is reality.
I disagree with this trendy phrase COMPLETELY.

I have a mentally ill brother. Someone tossed a half eaten baked potato into his yard one time. He perceived that this had some sort of very sinister meaning. He perceived that words, directed at him, were carved into the side of this potato to send him a cryptic message. He perceived that the Russians were stalking him and casing his house. He perceived that they had placed bugs throughout the garage.

None of this was reality. It was all in his imagination. You can say "it was HIS reality" but it wasn't - it was his PSYCHOSIS.

Big difference.

Someone can earnestly believe the Tooth Fairy left a dollar under their pillow but it's simply not reality.

I can believe it's 45 degrees outside but it's not - it's 95 degrees.

It is what it is - not necessarily what we think it is.

But back to the question of reality:

I believe that reality can and usually does have many different facets and layers.

"Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, and love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (I Cor. 13:8-13)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology