Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times

Advertisements

Party bridge and duplicate bridge. In party bridge, players shuffle and deal each hand. In duplicate, each hand is played repeatedly and after a session ends, they are scored against how other players played the hand. Sound confusing? I'm omitting a lot. Bridge is a game of rules, but, in party bridge, the rules are not followed strictly, which is vastly different in different clubs. Sometimes, it's as if there's no point in having any rules. Just play the game with cards face up.

In duplicate, the prize is points and they are desirable. In party games there is a small pot to win. Each player puts in a dollar in games where I play, and there will be 3 winners.

Recently, at an appointment with my primary physician, I commented about people who cheat at both type games, which annoys me immensely. Even Grand Master Players cheat to win in duplicate. Good players cheat to win in Party bridge. These aren't actions where they try to hide it from opponents. They simply ignore the rules and if opponents challenge it, they can be ignored and forced to make an issue out of it,which directs all attention to the accuser and the cheater appears to be innocent. My physician observed that golfers do this. They may be the wealthiest in 7 counties, but, if there is a pot of money to be won, they will cheat to win it. Of course, these are just general examples There are so many more examples of cheating at either type bridge, I cannot begin listing them all. All this seems way too convoluted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
Rubi3, you've obviously not played bridge at any duplicate bridge clubs or any duplicate bridge tournaments. There are very rigid rules which are enforced.

When bidding you do not call out your bids, you use bidding boxes with bidding cards. You bid by choosing a bidding card and laying it face up on the table. All of the bidding cards used stay on the table until the bidding has finished. If anyone at the table feels that there has been an impropriety during bidding e.g. bidding out of turn, they simply raise their hand and call out "Director!". The Director will come to the table, listen to a brief explanation, and make a ruling on whether a penalty will be assessed based on the bidding cards lying face up on the table.

Similarly, during the play of the hand, if anyone spots an impropriety e.g. someone playing a suit that they had previously trumped, anyone at the table can call for the Director. Play stops until the Director sees each card that each player has already played all the way back to when the misplay supposedly first occurred. Since each player keeps their own played cards face down in the order played, this is easy to do. The Director will assess a penalty for any misplays. I've seen two and three trick penalties assessed.

As far as scoring is concerned, the North player has the responsibility of showing the score entered to the opponents and receiving their concurrence. Handheld wifi devices are now being used more frequently for scoring where one of the opponents must punch a key to indicate agreement.

In addition to the above, when high level tournaments are involved, there are physical barriers on the table so that a player cannot see their partner's face.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,136,731 times
As a avid bridge player I've got to agree there are a few people that seem to feel they MUST win at all costs. They are usually the ones that feel that other people are cheating. Any bidding conventions are allowed and just because you do not understand them does not make them illegal. Have played (and still play) a lot of bridge in a lot of venues and find very few actually cheat. I've got to admit to not playing much duplicate any more because the new rules as stated above make it less of a social event than I care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology