Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

In a many situations, the luxury of having a dedicated place for sleep is absent. For example, at the adult foster care homes I have worked at, overnight sleep-staff shift normally have a cot in the office. Hence flexibility towards different sleeping arrangements is a beneficial trait to have.

I have to admit to LOVING to sleep in public or where others will see me in certain situations. Part of this comes from the drug I use (and am prescribed) to help me fall asleep, which ironically decreases my social anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 848 times
I am surprised to see so many people post with a lack of empathy.

Someone actually equated sleeping with defecating? What? One cannot draw that comparison and I won't even waste space explaining why this is senseless.

People some of you deem as creepy may have struggled with Narcolepsy, could be a sleep deprived new parent, suffer from sleep apnea, have to take medications which cause drowsiness to control unmitigated pain!

I once saw a heartless video on YouTube of coworkers staring at a man with a camera as he alternately filmed a young man who was well groomed, but having a bad day and a hard time staying awake in his cubicle in front of a computer screen at work. Wow. How hateful is that? It has been thrown up on YouTube now for the whole world to see. Plus, there was a room full of smug onlookers. What? Have these people never been sleepy at any place besides their room in their bed before?

We seem to have zero tolerance for those who may have troubles of some sort or another these days.

If a coworker of mine were having trouble staying awake, rather than snitch, or record them, I'd be more apt to speak with them, to find out if they would open up to me enough to determine the source of their problem, privately, in order to know if I could be of assistance in any way. Many bosses lack empathy as well for things that they themselves do LOL because they, most if the time, have a door they can close if daytime somnolence strikes.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you may have a medical condition.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
I'm guessing that a lot of the people posting here have never been to or attended a university and have never been to the library or study hall during finals week. And they probably hate homeless people too.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Honestly, it was all I could do to stay awake during some staff meetings when I was still working. The sound of voices droning on and on was enough to do me in. One time a co-worker actually started snoring during one of those meetings. Glad it wasn't me!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I used to fall asleep during an English class I had in college. I would invariably wake up when my pen hit the floor. I always figured it was because the class met right after I ate dinner. Or because it was so boring (the Puritans, the Transcendentalists). But I don't consider a college classroom quite as public as a park. I'm paying a lot of money to be in college. It's my space, at least for the ninety minutes I'm there.

I've never fallen asleep at work, in a park, on a bus or subway. And if I've noticed anyone sleeping in public, it's not something that bothered me. I would actually feel comfortable asserting that I've never seen anyone sleeping in public. But I live in a not-particularly-urban environment.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Many many people sleep on the train to and from work. And on vacations on the Amtrak. Right next to you. They even sometimes fall asleep and slowly drop their head on your shoulder. THAT is when it becomes too far!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
No not at all, I've spent a lot of time in Asia and it's completely normal to sleep in public there. I think many in the West see it as kind of strange to sleep in public, when my relatives visited Australia they would happily fall asleep on drives more than 15 minutes, had someone in another car yell over for me to wake them up haha.

Personally find it difficult to fall asleep in any public situation other than a very long trip by plane/bus/train, as much as I'd like to nap I find it hard to do.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 08-24-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 02:56 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
I was hiking the hills near Zermatt, as I came over a knoll there lay a beautiful naked woman sleeping on a blanked in the meadow. I was not offended and kept walking the scenery was beautiful all around.

Last edited by txfriend; 08-27-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology