Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times

Advertisements

my younger brother only feels comfortable when he is arguing and fighting. kindness and peace make him feel uncomfortable.

He lives with my ex best friend who is now his best friend. this guy is very passive and my brother is very aggressive and this guy likes to be ordered around. this guy pays for my brothers rent, bills, groceries, cell phone bill and has for the past two years.

Also my brother has a large group of social contacts because he plays in a band and my ex best friend was into music and my brother got him into his band with him.

because my brother gets pot for him because of his connections and lets him play in his band this guy basically dumped me and started hanging out with my younger brother. they now live together where this guy pays for all my brother s bills.

also, whatever my brother says this guy agrees with, even if it's something that in the past he disagreed with. He even walks BEHIND my brother wherever he goes like a servant or a submissive.

my brother comes over to my apartment and my parents out to 'visit' and every time he starts a fight or an argument, usually about politics or history. my brother mocks you, demeans you and threatens you. he even once got my very PASSIVE dad who NEVER gets angry, so angry that he physically threw him out of the house.

My brother has cast me in the role of 'the man'. he is anti everything.. anti american culture, anti government, anti corporation and he hasn't worked in FIVE years because my ex BF pays for all of his bills.

my brother has cast me in a role to all of the people he knows as though i'm some jock corporate guy.

I'm a quiet, passive gay guy into philosophy and i don't like sports or fashion.

when these people meet me they assume I am the way my brothers portraying me and then they treat me like i'm some kind of outsider.

I'm at a loss.. i feel my brother is mentally ill and an extreme emotional bully. my ex BF i could care less about because if he's willing to treat me like this i don't think he was ever a real 'friend' to begin with.

what should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM

52,247 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Do your own thing.

How old are you???

This really isn't a tough decision, someone treats you crappy, you move on.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Do your own thing.

How old are you???

This really isn't a tough decision, someone treats you crappy, you move on.

I completely agree. If he's badmouthing you to people he knows (and they believe it): (A) Don't hang out with those people, and (B) They're probably pretty dumb anyways. Otherwise, just deal with him when you visit your parents and leave it at that.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Let the younger brother live is own life.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
The first step is to start defending yourself. The second step is to distance yourself from him.

How you accomplish those things is up to you.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
How would you deal with ANY bully? You'd avoid him, right? So...avoid him. You can pick your friends. You can't pick your relatives, but you can choose not to associate with him. When you have to see him at your parents' house, simply don't engage in a conversation with him. If he gets out of hand, say, "Mom & Dad, I love you...but I'm gonna go now." You can't change your brother and clearly your ex-BF has found someone whose attention he prefers over yours. Find new friends.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,228 times
Same way you would get rid of any other bully. Five knuckles to the mouth. Four knuckles actually, the thumb shouldn't be there.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM

414 posts, read 1,019,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Same way you would get rid of any other bully. Five knuckles to the mouth. Four knuckles actually, the thumb shouldn't be there.
Actually it should just be two (index and middle). Your ring and pinkie knuckles break way too easily to want to hit someone with any amount of force with them.

Not that I'm encouraging it

Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Detach, drop the rope, learn how to bean dip.

Have a set of stock responses if you are in a situation where you aren't ready to leave but he's acting like his typical @ss self

"really? that's interesting" ::walk away::
"well, if that's your opinion" ::walk away::
"yeah, I've heard some people think that way" ::walk away::
::long, silent stare:: "uh huh" ::walk away::

Don't let him provoke you or make you fearful and tongue tied. The guy gets a rush from the feeling that he is overpowering someone. Shut him down by not engaging.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Detach, drop the rope, learn how to bean dip.

Have a set of stock responses if you are in a situation where you aren't ready to leave but he's acting like his typical @ss self

"really? that's interesting" ::walk away::
"well, if that's your opinion" ::walk away::
"yeah, I've heard some people think that way" ::walk away::
::long, silent stare:: "uh huh" ::walk away::

Don't let him provoke you or make you fearful and tongue tied. The guy gets a rush from the feeling that he is overpowering someone. Shut him down by not engaging.
Absolutely correct. Your brother gets a rush out of bullying others so don't have any conversation with him.

If you live at home with your parents and he comes over, go to your room. If you have to be in the same room with him, learn NOT to engage in any conversation with him.

Don't let him make you a victim because you're not. Stand up to him by ignoring him.

Don't worry about your ex friend. Get new friends that are more like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology