Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Go back and read my posts. I specifically stated that I don't leave carts unsecured and/or in vacant parking spaces. If i did that, I agree it would be a jerk move.

I always go to considerable trouble to make sure the cart isn't going anywhere. Sometimes that means the corral and other times it means putting the front wheels over the curb and into the gravel and the back wheels firm up again the curb so it doesn't take up space.

I've had my cars/truck damaged many times by people who can't turn their neck to look when they back out. I've probably spent close to $2,000 in body work.
I know you said you always secure your carts, but you also said this:

Quote:
On the contrary, take a look at any supermarket parking lot. Plenty of people
share my opinion.
And what I see in parking lots is carts willy nilly everywhere. I see very few that are secured in any way or up on a curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I've never been able to wrap my head around this. You go out to a grocery store, etc. and inevitably you will find shopping carts in the grass at the edge of the lots, on curbs, even in the middle parking spots. Yet, there are always "cart corrals" (or whatever you call them) that are nearby. It only takes a minimal effort to put the cart away properly once you have loaded your vehicle.

So what makes people feel that they are entitled to leave their cart where ever they please? That it is beneath them to take 10 seconds and put it away properly?

I've noticed that the biggest offenders seem to be Wal-Mart shoppers. I can't help but notice that, on average, there are many more carts abandoned throughout the parking lot at Wal-Marts than any other stores. So maybe it has something to do with poor people don't respect themselves, so therefore they don't respect others?

But does anyone here do this? Leave the carts in the middle of a parking spot when a corral is just a few feet away? Can you please let me know what goes through your mind so that I can understand how you came to be such an awful person?
America has been deliberately programmed to be a land of fat, dumb, irresponsible people who are incapable and/or unwilling to do anything for themselves. It's in the dumbed down standards in the schools. (Note how many people on CD still don't know the difference between "there", "they're" & "their" and don't really care, either.) It's in the movies & TV shows, in government welfare policy, in the junk food diet pushed on us, etc. And all of it is deliberate. This is what the elites want and huge numbers of people have just thoughtlessly gone along with their program. Not putting away shopping carts is just one of many symptoms of a much deeper problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbp6umQT58A

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-05-2013 at 12:02 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
So this thread had a positive effect.........I actually thought of this thread in the parking lot........chuckled and returned my cart. There is hope people...........support group to come LOL.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
So this thread had a positive effect.........I actually thought of this thread in the parking lot........chuckled and returned my cart. There is hope people...........support group to come LOL.
Good for you.

I thought about this thread yesterday when I was shopping. At Target, Trader Joe's, and Kroger, all of the carts were in the corrals. There are some great people in this area.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:

Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times
Quote:
Disagree.

This thread sucks. Because of you people I now feel guilty when I leave my walmart cart abandoned on the top of the hilly side of the parking lot, completely unsecured.

Before, I would give the cart a helpful little push and let gravity do it's work; ultimately crashing into a flock of Land Rovers, BMW's and Mercedes'. I used to find the violent metallic crashing sound strangely exhilarating, even bordering on orgasmic. But now, all I feel is guilt.

Damn you people.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
More positive feedback from this thread:

The other day in Bed Bath and Beyond, I decided not to get some pillow cases, and I almost just laid them on a shelf out of place - but then I remembered this thread and felt very ashamed of myself and went and put them back where I got them!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Sometimes I look around for a cart corral and it's 3 rows away. Not a problem in summer (like another poster I sometimes park some distance from the store entrance on purpose anyway, just for the exercise), but in winter, when I'm chilled to the bone, and the cart wheels are already clogged with slush, sometimes I admit that I say to heck with it and abandon the cart somewhere else. Always hitched up on a median or someplace where it will not roll around and ding something up. I even admit that lousy service can contribute to my f__k it moment.

I can imagine infirm / elderly people at the limit of their endurance making the decision not to struggle more than they already are, too. It probably saved the store money that they didn't ask for someone to help them out with the cart, anyway. (I took an offer of help once when my back was out and was freaked out that the helper they gave me was a hunchbacked 80 year old in worse shape than me; I may never ask again, even when I'm a hunchbacked 80 year old).

It seems to me that if this is a human failing at all, it's pretty minor. I'm way more interested in world peace than whether the cart person can collect 100% of the carts from corrals.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
^ Yeah, there are bigger things t worry about, but that's not really a reason to ignore the little things either. It may not solve world peace issues but those little things can make someone's life a little easier or brighter, so why not?

(Every time you might be tempted to leave your cart in the middle of the lot just think about that poor 80 year old hunchback and realize that may be the same guy who has the job of rounding up the carts too. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology