Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Not usually, just usually a more spectacular version of reality. Most my dreams take place in my bedroom, work or old college but sometimes I go to a crazy looking fantasy city or some magical beach. I've tried to get to outer space in my dreams but I wake up when I try to fly that high. Sometimes I have a dream that I live in a spectacular Downton Abbey-like mansion then get depressed in the middle of the dream when it occurs to me its a dream lol
In your bedroom? Sure they're dreams? haha.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I might have sexual dreams, and they always end just before the good part haha. And yeah, I'm sometimes aware I'm dreaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I fin most of mine take place in the real world, just not maybe in real situations given my current reality. Like in one I had during a nap, I found myself dating my current boss towards the end of it by her leaning on me talking about some party we were going to and me making a joke about it that made her laugh. Apparently that means success is coming my way or I seek a girlfriend with control...

Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 PM

714 posts, read 747,700 times
Pretty much all of them are in a setting that registers with me as being the real world. I've had a lot occur in the house I lived in from when I was 9-18 (my parents kept living there and eventually got a new house when I was 25). I always wake up thinking "why the **** do I always have dreams about that place?!?" It was home but it's not like I miss the house. The dreams are never negative or positive, I'm always just doing something routine like watching tv or hanging out with a friend.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:44 PM

272 posts, read 130,971 times
I'll preface this by writing that I pine for someone. I finally met someone I thought I could trust in nursing school. Long story short: I'm as alone as I have ever been. Boo-Hoo.

Anyway, my latest dream of her took place in a parking lot of all places. We were in a HUGE parking lot and it was overcast, gray, and cold. The parking lot is in Pennsylvania and is real. We were alone. She was wearing a very colorful sun dress. She opened her arms wide with a huge smile on her face and she hugged me. I had other dreams of her that took place in real places.

The most vivid dream I ever had took place in a rice field in the Sacramento Valley in California about 20, maybe 25 years ago. Used to be rice farmers in California could burn off the rice stubble after harvest. I can remember the most vivid of sunsets during the burns; salmon pink to bright orange, white to dark gray. In the dream, I looked up at the sky and knew, just knew that I was all alone in the world, the only person on the face of the Earth. I screamed at God, "I wanted to be alone but NOT this alone!" The most vivid dream I ever had. That dream was in a real place, too.

My dreams seem to take place in real places that I am familiar with.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Mine are in the distant past. Nobody ever appears in my dreams until after I have known them for at least several years. I remarried almost two years ago, and I haven't dreamt about my new wife yet.

My dreams are usually highly fluid, in which people or things quickly morph into something else. Locations ca usually be identifed, at least relative to real places.
My best dreams are travel dreams in which am going to a place "beyond" some known place, which doesn't exist in real geography.

I literally never have nightmares -- never. Waking in fear doesn't happen.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:54 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I find most of my dreams take place in a totally unfamiliar place, often an unknown location, or else in what I take for granted as a real location in the dream world, say my house, school, university, or a far off country. The locations are often bizarre, for instance buildings that would not exist in the real world. For instance, I’ve had dreams that the world was small enough that I could paddle across it from continent to continent and I could see say Asia from Africa, or that there were elevations going up to space. The elevation dream was before, I am quite sure, I learned of the idea from others.

The people in my dreams are a mix of people I know in the real world – sometimes strange altered in personality, behavior or even appearance – and people my imagination conjures up. I sometimes wonder if the dream world really is a parallel universe, or like an astral realm. I once dreamed that I went through the centre of the world and ended up in Bermuda, the exact antipode of Perth.

So what about you. Do most of your dreams take place in the real world? If not what are some common environments?
Real world, not always familiar places, and not always realistic situations, while not a fantasy - just kind of unlikely to happen.
However many of my dreams are in real world, even familiar, and situations likely to happen, or symbolic which sometimes makes me to be extra cautious or ponder to understand the meaning.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:39 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I find most of my dreams take place in a totally unfamiliar place, often an unknown location, or else in what I take for granted as a real location in the dream world, say my house, school, university, or a far off country. The locations are often bizarre, for instance buildings that would not exist in the real world. For instance, I’ve had dreams that the world was small enough that I could paddle across it from continent to continent and I could see say Asia from Africa, or that there were elevations going up to space. The elevation dream was before, I am quite sure, I learned of the idea from others.

The people in my dreams are a mix of people I know in the real world – sometimes strange altered in personality, behavior or even appearance – and people my imagination conjures up. I sometimes wonder if the dream world really is a parallel universe, or like an astral realm. I once dreamed that I went through the centre of the world and ended up in Bermuda, the exact antipode of Perth.

So what about you. Do most of your dreams take place in the real world? If not what are some common environments?

I read something once that said every person you've ever dreamed about, is someone you saw in real life. Maybe that real person didn't even make an impression on you in real life, but somehow the brain took a snapshot and stored the image away.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:56 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
More and more, the really frustrating dreams are taking place on a computer screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology